Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2021, 03:09   #16

Boat: 1983 Shannon 28
Re: Aries Windvane (Self Steering)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Send me your old break away parts and i'll set you up. I'll make a few more and sell them.
Thanks. Very kind of you. Unfortunately, the breakaway coupling on my Aries is frozen to the ss shaft, and getting it off will result in its destruction.

It is a relatively easy part to manufacture. Basically an 8" piece of anodized 1.5" ID x 2.0" OD aluminum tube with two 3/8 holes 2 3/4" from each end and a 1/16 inch deep cut in the center for the sacrificial breakaway.

The aluminum tube is available from Mcmaster-Carr. Unfortunately, they don't ship to Spain. https://www.mcmaster.com/aluminum-round-stock/

Here's a pic of the coupling with dimensions in case you need to make one for the buyer of your vane.

Best,

Greg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Aries breakaway coupling.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	414.0 KB
ID:	241580  
Greg K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 08:51   #17

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Yes, the SS shaft would have to be put in a lathe and the aluminum turned out of it. I am assuming the SS shaft is 1.5"s. The throat on my lathe is 1.380"s.

But I could clamp it to the edge of the Mill and swing the head over and get it that way. I actually have to do that to my Windpilot. It is aluminum seized into aluminum. I think the other problem is shipping from Spain. I think it might be expensive. Let me know.
A few months back I helped a member here in Southern Ca. fix his autopilot by machining a SS plate for him for his helm. It blows me away how some manufacturers abandon their clients once the product is sold.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 14:17   #18

Quote:
Yes, the SS shaft would have to be put in a lathe and the aluminum turned out of it. I am assuming the SS shaft is 1.5"s. The throat on my lathe is 1.380"s.

But I could clamp it to the edge of the Mill and swing the head over and get it that way. I actually have to do that to my Windpilot. It is aluminum seized into aluminum. I think the other problem is shipping from Spain. I think it might be expensive. Let me know.
A few months back I helped a member here in Southern Ca. fix his autopilot by machining a SS plate for him for his helm. It blows me away how some manufacturers abandon their clients once the product is sold.
Yes, on a lathe, that's what I've read. I think this can be done here, no problem. The real issue will be sourcing the 2" Aluminum tubing for the breakaway coupling and drilling the 3/8 holes as everything is metric in Spain.

And, yes, the shaft is 1.5" OD...same as the water paddle shaft.

At any rate, this is not a pressing problem just now as the current brake away coupling ( though frozen on the shaft) still seems to be fine.

Good luck with the sale.
Old 05-07-2021, 10:39   #19

Boat: 1979 Union Polaris 36'

Replaced my coupling with the Aries hinge last year from Lean Nelis, The Netherlands, info@ariesvanegear.com
Fortytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 11:18   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortytwo View Post
Replaced my coupling with the Aries hinge last year from Lean Nelis, The Netherlands, info@ariesvanegear.com
It is an option I am considering as well.

Good to know it fits the UK vanes. Does this hinge still use the 3/8 bolts to fasten the vane and water paddle shafts? Or did you have to drill these out to 10mm?

Or is it a different fastening mechanism altogether?

Also, when assembled with the hinge, does the water paddle depth remain about the same as with the breakaway coupling?

Other than a pic, not much technical info about this new hinge on Lean's site.
Old 05-07-2021, 11:41   #21

I’m in Los Angeles. 3/8” bolts fit. Same depth for paddle. 288 euros… 388 euros with tax and shipping for me.
Old 05-07-2021, 13:49   #22

Quote:
I’m in Los Angeles. 3/8” bolts fit. Same depth for paddle. 288 euros… 388 euros with tax and shipping for me.
Thanks for sharing, Fortytwo.

As of a few weeks ago 423 Euros plus shipping. More than the price of the Aries Celestialsailor is selling. Go figure.

A 1 foot section of 2" anodized aluminum tube from Mcmaster = Carr and 15 minutes at your local machine shop would probably be 1/5 the cost.

But that's just my inner cheap bastard thinking outloud.
Old 05-07-2021, 16:03   #23

Name:	IMG_0856.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	241621
Old 06-07-2021, 00:06   #24

There is an easier way to get aluminum off of stainless… muriatic acid (pool acid)

Whoever buys CS’s Aries, I’ll send them a free coupling…. I seem to have a spare…

Name:	IMG_1625555154.107720.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	241634
Old 06-07-2021, 00:24   #25

The buyer is getting silent so it may come off of pending. Maybe i should make an oar and wind paddle.
The thing with oars, they are unique to each boat whose transome's are different heights off the water. I guess I could make it a few more inches longer.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 06-07-2021, 01:01   #26

Quote:
The buyer is getting silent so it may come off of pending. Maybe i should make an oar and wind paddle.
The thing with oars, they are unique to each boat whose transome's are different heights off the water. I guess I could make it a few more inches longer.
The wind paddle is very easy to make. 6mm plywood 35" high x 6.5" wide according to Helen Franklin. The more important thing is the weight. It needs to balance with the pendulum. I checked the homemade one that came with my vane.. it is 625 grams and almost balances the pendulum weight. Will see if it works soon.

If you make the water paddle shaft 20 inches above the paddle, there will be plenty enough for most boats and, of course, it can be cut. Let me know if you need the paddle dimensions and I'll measure mine.

Will be in the yard installing my vane this week.
Old 06-07-2021, 01:08   #27

Quote:
There is an easier way to get aluminum off of stainless… muriatic acid (pool acid)

Whoever buys CS’s Aries, I’ll send them a free coupling…. I seem to have a spare…

Attachment 241634
From the pic, your vane looks in excellent condition, Fortytwo.

Many thanks for the muriatic acid tip. I'll definitely be trying that when the time comes to get the breakaway coupling off.

Would be grateful if you would consider selling one of those to me. I would also cover the shipping expenses to Spain, of course. Let me know, and I can send you my personal info via PM.
Old 06-07-2021, 11:57   #28

Be careful with the acid… it dissolves aluminum.

I’ll send you a coupling for free, no worries. Just PM me a shipping address.

CS, I’ll send you one free too if you would like.
Old 06-07-2021, 12:32   #29

That would be great...I'll pm you the address.
Old 09-07-2021, 08:21   #30

Quote:
Be careful with the acid… it dissolves aluminum.

I’ll send you a coupling for free, no worries. Just PM me a shipping address.

CS, I’ll send you one free too if you would like.
Thanks a million, Fortytwo. You truly made my day.
Apologies for not replying earlier. Have been in the yard most of the week doing maintenance and the Aries install.

Will send you a PM with shipping address in a moment.

Cheers,

Greg K

Tags
aries, self steering, steering, wind, windvane