Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-06-2021, 19:06   #1

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Aries Windvane (Self Steering)

Clearing out all my unfinished project to make room for more projects I probably won't get around to.

Aries Windvane in serviceability condition. Stainless gears.

Needs wind paddle (easy to make). and missing water oar. Not that difficult if you're handy.

This would be great to recondition or use as spare parts. Crack in turning block boss but repairable.
$425. Can ship within U.S. from 95693 or deliver within 100 miles.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Aries1.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	121.7 KB
ID:	241141   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aries2.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	241142  

Name:	Aries3.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	241143   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aries4.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	135.1 KB
ID:	241144  

Name:	Aries5.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	241145  
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2021, 18:44   #2

Re: Aries Windvane (Self Steering)

Is this not fairly priced or no one has one of these?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 29-06-2021, 19:12   #3

Boat: Rafiki 37

This is incredibly well priced CS. I have an Aries. They are great vanes. I would consider taking this off your hands just to have a spare if I was in a position to do so (I'm still not able to reach my boat).

This is almost a steal folks. Someone has to go for it!
Old 29-06-2021, 20:03   #4

Boat: Tartan 34c 1977, Pearson 34 1984

can you share what series it is
or year it is from please?
Skipper Jethro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2021, 21:25   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipper Jethro View Post
can you share what series it is
or year it is from please?
There are some casting numbers...would that be it?
Old 01-07-2021, 02:40   #6

Boat: 1983 Shannon 28

From the pics it looks to be a Standard Aries model 3, but there were modification throughout the years of manufacture to this very popular model, so it is impossible to determine exactly without examining the unit in person.

Having just bought a similar vintage Aries model, albeit complete and rebuilt at about twice your price, I do not think your ask is excessive. However, both you and any potential buyer should be aware that parts for rebuilding these UK models are no longer available, so unless the buyer has the skill and tooling, to do it himself, such work would need to be done in a competent machine shop on a custom basis. Could get expensive. Also, if a paddle, hinge, wheel drive, mounting tubes and mounts need to be bought... you are probably looking at spending another 2K.

It does all add up pretty quickly so that at some point buying a new one starts to make sense, especially if you plan on some serious ocean passages.

Here's a couple helpful sites:

History of Aries Vane Gears

https://ariesvanegear.com/products/

Good luck.
Greg K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 08:12   #7

Did Helen Franklin stop selling parts for the older UK models? I bought a bunch of maintenance items and spare parts from her, but this was probably six or seven years ago. She's still listed on the old Aries website:

http://www.ariesvane.com/products.html
Old 01-07-2021, 16:19   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Did Helen Franklin stop selling parts for the older UK models? I bought a bunch of maintenance items and spare parts from her, but this was probably six or seven years ago. She's still listed on the old Aries website:

http://www.ariesvane.com/products.html
Yes, that is my understanding. Numerous people, including myself, have received no replies from Helen by mail or email regarding parts inquiries since about 5 years ago. But, by all means, give it try.

Also, the current Dutch builder of Aries has just recently announced that they will no longer be providing parts for UK built models.
Old 01-07-2021, 17:04   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg K View Post
Yes, that is my understanding. Numerous people, including myself, have received no replies from Helen by mail or email regarding parts inquiries since about 5 years ago. But, by all means, give it try.

Also, the current Dutch builder of Aries has just recently announced that they will no longer be providing parts for UK built models.
Bummer... good to know.

If I was in a position to do so, I'd pick up CS's vane and use it as a spare.
Old 01-07-2021, 17:24   #10

I should mention at this point that I am a Toolmaker/Machinist of 40+ years, with a "real" shop on my ranch. I would be willing to make any bushings for the vane for whoever buys it. Like I said before...Needs wind paddle (easy to make). and missing water oar. Not that difficult if you're handy.
Old 02-07-2021, 06:29   #11

Since you have the skill and the tooling, if you have the time, it might be worthwhile to rebuild it and manufacture the plywood vane and water paddle along with a breakaway coupling or two before selling. Complete, and rebuilt , you might get 4 or 5 times your asking price. It would be an excellent deal for someone in the US compared to buying a new Aries from Holland which now sells for about 6K USD plus shipping which can be substantial ( the shipping for my vane from the US to Spain cost a whooping 700 USD).

Food for thought.
Old 02-07-2021, 12:40   #12

Quote:
Since you have the skill and the tooling, if you have the time, it might be worthwhile to rebuild it and manufacture the plywood vane and water paddle along with a breakaway coupling or two before selling. Complete, and rebuilt , you might get 4 or 5 times your asking price. It would be an excellent deal for someone in the US compared to buying a new Aries from Holland which now sells for about 6K USD plus shipping which can be substantial ( the shipping for my vane from the US to Spain cost a whooping 700 USD).

Food for thought.

Ha ha...lets see...A Westsail 28 in the driveway getting a full refit. A 36ft. ketch in negotiations that I am currently getting the engine running and is 120 miles away. My unfinished ranch with the second unfinished pasture for the horses. The 34ft. Avion I'm almost finished restoring for traveling nurses. The 150ft. electrical run to my wood shop which I'm trenching by hand with a pick in hard pan clay. The unfinished bedroom and bathroom which is only roughed in. The 60ft. of septic pipe under the house which has 18"s of crawl space to remove and replace with ABS.

Lets not forget the 1960 T-bird I just sold that was 95% done. I need to eliminate and finish. I work 6 hours a day here in the Sacramento Valley in anywhere from 90-105 degress and then inside the house for another 6 doing research on all the projects going on. Oh yes...we have new born French Bulldog puppies that in the beginning required me to get up every 2 hours for feeding. I am in my later 60's too and cannot find outside help from a youngster around 20 who will put their phone down to make $25@hr. So I'm on my own.

So there is some food for thought back to you.
Old 03-07-2021, 11:39   #13

Sure sounds like you got a full plate on your to do list. Sorry to hear you can't find any decent young guy to give you a hand.

If you weren't so busy, a skilled machinist like yourself would be the perfect person to fill in the now empty niche producing spare parts for the thousands of UK built Standard Aries vanes out there that will continue to need rebuilding. Wouldn't be surprised if you could make a decent living with it. I would be the first knocking on your door requesting a couple break away couplings for my own ancient Aries.

Cheers
Old 03-07-2021, 11:52   #14

Quote:
Sure sounds like you got a full plate on your to do list. Sorry to hear you can't find any decent young guy to give you a hand.

If you weren't so busy, a skilled machinist like yourself would be the perfect person to fill in the now empty niche producing spare parts for the thousands of UK built Standard Aries vanes out there that will continue to need rebuilding. Wouldn't be surprised if you could make a decent living with it. I would be the first knocking on your door requesting a couple break away couplings for my own ancient Aries.

Cheers
Send me your old break away parts and i'll set you up. I'll make a few more and sell them.
Old 03-07-2021, 11:53   #15

The vane is now pending

Tags
aries, self steering, steering, wind, windvane