Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > General Classifieds (no boats)
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-03-2022, 19:03   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Re: Auto-Helm wind vane self-steering

I have used it, not extensively but enough to be comfortable with it.

Just to be clear this is the “aux” rudder, the main rudder is hung on the skeg.

It is closer to 25% than you think. It may not be obvious but the rotation point is around the vertical stainless tube, and the underwater bit is mostly behind the rotation point.

I have hand steered using this rudder with the tiller, more force than you would think because the tiller is quite short. It is a bit of a ballet when maneuvering in a marina, especially backing. A long reach from my wheel to the tiller. Not really something you want to take off and on much.

The weight on the wind paddle moves up and down to adjust sensitivity.

I don’t know how much the design was a adjusted to fit THIS boat. The main reason I posted it was to show the general principals of the Belcher design. I think you really need to run down his book if you want to build something like this.

This boat is 33’, 16,000 pounds, long fin keel. I have no clue how this would adapt to a cat.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2022, 19:40   #17

Boat: KH 49x, Custom

Thanks Hpeer.

That makes sense, that the pivot is nearer 25%, it just looks like more on the photo. I see what you mean about the vertical stainless tube, I should have paid more attention to that.

I can see it would be a bear to reverse, without locking one of the rudders (I think the aux would be best used for steering in reverse, since it's nearer the end of the boat) midships. I'm sure you've tried several ways to do it, but that would be my guess. I can see removing it would also be a chore. Best parallel park next to the curb, instead of perpendicular to it.

I'll get a copy of the book. Vanes on cats are a controversial topic, but I'm willing to put my money where my mouth is, and give it a shot. I'd really like a "non electric" backup for the autopilot.

I had already imagined a very similar setup, which will be on one of my rudders, and not an aux rudder. A friend of mine built one on his main rudder about 40 years ago, and it worked quite well. Even on his 50 foot, full keeled monohull. No aux rudder, right on the main rudder. He's gone now, so I can't pump him for information on how much trim tab he needed to swing his main rudder, but I'll figure it out.

Thank you for your reply. It looks like a great system, on a really cool boat.

Cheers.
Paul.
Old 22-03-2022, 04:16   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Try googling “Sayes Rig”. Somewhat similar to what uou are describing I think.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2022, 06:37   #19

Boat: KH 49x, Custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Try googling “Sayes Rig”. Somewhat similar to what uou are describing I think.
That's similar, but I was thinking of a trim tab, whereas that unit pivots like an aries or Monitor type system; except they use a bracket to the rudder, instead of lines to the tiller/wheel.

Mine would be closer to what you're using, but on one of the rudders. At least that what I envisioned.

This, Auto-helm wind vane, is basically what my friend had invented for his boat; without the cables. Which is what drew me to this thread.

I'll cobble some kind of system together, using ideas from many, such as yours.

Edit: What you showed on Post 10 is nearly exactly what my friend had on his boat. Except I don't know how they would keep the wind vane lined up with the trim tab, when the rudder moves. Anyway, he had a system, and it worked well.

Cheers.
Paul.

Tags
helm, steering, wind, wind vane