Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-03-2021, 20:02   #1

Boat: Proactively waiting to find out!
Boat Sitting NE Florida

I would like to rent a boat in a NE Florida marina for a few months while I shop for a boat and find a long-term marina to live in. Part of my story is that I'm relocating to NE Florida because I'm old and that's the law. My preference would be a mono-hull sailboat around 40 feet or so, since that's the boat type I'm shopping for and want to live aboard going forward. Trial run so-to-speak. I have a couple of years of monohull sailing experience and training, about 150 days on the water over that time, so I am competent to keep an eye on a boat in a slip, check lines for chaffing, etc. And I won't screw up your head. And I'm a 60 y/o software engineer... so no parties. I go to bed early and get up early...cuz I'm old. That's also the law. So I won't upset your neighbors. If you, or someone you know... Thanks
ScottyMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2021, 03:48   #2

Boat: Ovni 37 Sonate
Re: Boat Sitting NE Florida

This is the "General Classifieds (NO BOATS)".. You may wish to try "Boat Classifieds".
Old 26-03-2021, 04:47   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Welcome to the forum, Scotty. Be aware that there has been a recent move by marinas against allowing live aboards, which may complicate your plans. Goodluck with it.
Old 26-03-2021, 06:20   #4

Thanks. Yeah, I've heard a lot some marinas frown on this. But some seem to allow it. I'm not highly hopeful. But for me, I think it makes sense to give it a try.

Regarding "no boats" I was assuming the "boat" forum for buying and selling boats. But if I'm breaking protocol...apologies. I'll repost this over there. Thanks for the correction.
Old 26-03-2021, 06:46   #5

Boat: Rafiki 37

I hope something comes up for you Scotty.

As someone who house sits a lot, I'd love to get into boat sitting. I've heard it can be done, but never found any way -- except walking the dock -- to find possible connections.
Old 26-03-2021, 06:56   #6

Thanks Mike. I will be making a trip to Florida soon to find a liveaboard marina. Per your comment, my thoughts were to explore the topic with the people I meet there. So yeah...thinking along those lines.

Regarding house sitting...I suppose that could be an option for me also for my short-term needs. You've done it a lot. Do you have any pointers for me to explore that option?

Thanks,
Scotty
Old 26-03-2021, 07:48   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyMR View Post
Regarding house sitting...I suppose that could be an option for me also for my short-term needs. You've done it a lot. Do you have any pointers for me to explore that option?
House sitting is quite well established and pretty easy to get connected to. There at least a 1/2 dozen good web-based services that match sitters with home owners. I'm currently subscribed to three of them which I can tell you about if you like, but they're not hard to find.

Pointers... it's all about building trust, so being open and honest and following through on your commitments helps build a track record. I (we) keep a personal blog which seems to help. People can get a good sense of who we are by reading it.

Being independent, including having your own vehicle, opens a lot of possibilities. Some homeowners will also offer a vehicle, but not many.

I also find that demonstrating that you can manage problems helps. As cruisers, we bring a lot of problem-solving skills that can be useful.

And then specific experience/skills are sometimes useful. Often houses come with pets and plants, so having experience with various fauna and flora is good. We've branched into farm animals. Love looking after horses and donkeys.

Overall it has been a great way for me (and she) to live inexpensively. It's also a great way to get to know different communities, and of course to experience different living styles. Highly recommend it for anyone who can live with the uncertainty of not always knowing where they will rest their head each night.
Old 26-03-2021, 08:03   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

the " liveaboard" thing.....seems to be at the discretion of the marina's....y'know.....if you stay on your boat..overnight...or for the weekend....are you living on it??

I think what is driving the "no liveaboard" thing is laundry hanging from the lifelines, loud music, parties, etc...and off course...the " pump out" requirements...
MicHughV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2021, 08:29   #9

60 is not old. I am 73 and as fit as a fiddle.
Stewie12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2021, 10:13   #10

Boat: Privilege 37

ScottyMR, I may be amenable to a short term liveaboard on my boat in St. Augustine, Fl. I’m not currently on the boat but living about 20 miles away. My marina allows a small percentage of liveaboards for a little higher per month slip fee. The boat is a 37 ft catamaran. Call and voicemail me (Robert) at 9043824495. Perhaps some of the rental cost could be traded for some maintenance and upkeeping.
sosumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2021, 10:49   #11

Interesting info Mike! Thanks!

My daughter spent most of her childhood in horse barns. I've picked a lot of stalls and watered and fed a lot of horses as a result. I never really thought of translating that to farm sitting, but I can see where it could be a fit.

So it sounds like you don't have a permanent address. That's one of the issues I have to figure out since my move to Florida is only partially about sailing. I also want to establish Florida residency for tax purposes. How do you navigate that issue? I saw on a different thread where people use SBI. (St Brenden's Isle I think it is.) Do you use them? Or do you have some other arrangement?
Old 26-03-2021, 10:53   #12

MicHugh,

I suspect some folks in marinas aren't very respectful of others. Ruin things for everyone. Its a problem everywhere though...especially in tight living quarters.

Thanks,
Old 26-03-2021, 10:58   #13
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
MicHugh,

I suspect some folks in marinas aren't very respectful of others. Ruin things for everyone. Its a problem everywhere though...especially in tight living quarters.

Thanks,
And on the flip side that is why there are lots of people living on boats in marinas that don't allow live aboards, because all the marinas are trying to do is keep out riffraff and boat scum.
Old 26-03-2021, 11:30   #14

Understandable Sailorboy!

Stewie,
LOL Glad to hear it! I hope I'm fit as a fiddle in 13 years! In reality, I just think of myself as middle-aged now. But I do trend toward a more mature lifestyle than that of a recent college dropout partying til dawn. At 60, I'm fairly responsible and harmless...not sure if that's really a good thing, but it has its pluses. Especially when you want to live on someone eles's boat for a while. LOL
Old 26-03-2021, 11:32   #15

Quote:
Interesting info Mike! Thanks!

My daughter spent most of her childhood in horse barns. I've picked a lot of stalls and watered and fed a lot of horses as a result. I never really thought of translating that to farm sitting, but I can see where it could be a fit.

So it sounds like you don't have a permanent address. That's one of the issues I have to figure out since my move to Florida is only partially about sailing. I also want to establish Florida residency for tax purposes. How do you navigate that issue? I saw on a different thread where people use SBI. (St Brenden's Isle I think it is.) Do you use them? Or do you have some other arrangement?
This is drifting the thread, but since you started it, I guess that's OK.

Yes indeed, the more skills you can bring to the table, the more house sits open up. The farm or hobby farm house sit is not the norm, but up here in Canada, they're not uncommon either.

With regard to an address, my boat is my only real home. But governments and corporations hate homeless people, so I do have a permanent address. It just so happens that it's the same as my sister's .

The reason I (we ... my spouse and I) house sit is because we're cruising more northernly Canadian waters. This means 1/2 the year is too cold to be on the boat. So during these months we travel the country, house sitting and visiting family and friends.

Tags
boat, florida