Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > General Classifieds (no boats)
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-06-2021, 11:51   #16

Boat: Looking for my next boat!
Re: Cheap/free dock space? Boatmoving?

Don't be discouraged. I admire your sense of adventure and ambition to live differently than the boring convention our culture dictates. Never apologize for being different and living your own life!

Your goals are totally attainable. The G26 is a well built boat. Even at nearly 50 years old, there are plenty sailing on Lake Ontario. Its a lot of boat for 26 feet! Freshwater boats don't age like saltwater boats. Its quite likely you can splash your boat and sail away. There was a girl who worked at the West Marine store here in Kingston who lived on a G26 anchored off the inner harbour. Her boat was called COOL WHIP. Maybe she's reading this now...Hello?

FWIW, a few years back I bought a Paceship 29 in Toronto for $100. Sight unseen. I drove down with my gear, spent an afternoon cleaning up, then sailed it 150 miles homes...with my two litttle kids! What an adventure! Within a few weeks I had a pretty nice little boat for sailing around the islands with my family. There were three or four big problems with the boat...mostly to do with the atomic 4. The previous owner had given up. I'm no mechanic, but I was able to solve them all...total cost of repair was less than $10, plus a new battery ($100). The rest was all cleaning, removing junk/obsolete electronics, and a little painting. And a new ORIGO 4000 stove...love the origo...that was back when you could just walk into a marine store and buy one.

A few years prior to that big adventure, I bought (for very few $$$) a CAL25 that had been on the hard for 5 years. I bought it sight unseen, and when I first saw it...I almost cried, it was so awful. But again, lots of cleaning, a few minor repairs, $80 to a marine mechanic to get the inboard running, new battery, new lines, and I was sailing!!!

Those were great adventures. I admire others who dare to dream and take a chance too. And I regret that I've become less daring myself as I get older.

You've got the boat now, there's no turning back. One problem at a time. Like Dory says...Just keep swimming!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Simcoe I Sailing 122.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	403.5 KB
ID:	240530   Click image for larger version

Name:	CAL6.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	230.1 KB
ID:	240531  

Click image for larger version

Name:	CAL4.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	227.6 KB
ID:	240532   Click image for larger version

Name:	CAL3.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	240533  

hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2021, 12:03   #17

Location: My sailboat (currently in Ontario Canada, heading south imminently)
Boat: G26

Nope, no turning back! ... maybe that's why this is happening, maybe the universe figured I was procrastinating

I love your boat stories! Thank you! And thank you for believing in Skoro and I

Maybe you haven't become less daring... Maybe you're just waiting for the right adventure
Ann Cognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2021, 12:29   #18

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Cognito View Post
Maybe you haven't become less daring... Maybe you're just waiting for the right adventure
You don't choose the boat....the boat chooses YOU!
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2021, 12:37   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
You don't choose the boat....the boat chooses YOU!
Not the usual case, but it happens often enough to be the source of good stories. In my case, it's true.
Joh.Ghurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2021, 12:45   #20

Location: My sailboat (currently in Ontario Canada, heading south imminently)
Boat: G26

Ha! Excellent saying... Apparently true here
Adventures tend to find you too, and they know who to look for, they don't stop coming around
Ann Cognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2021, 13:42   #21

Years ago we sailed our trailer sailor out of Clark’s marina in Ganaocque, seemed a low key affordable place but that was a few years ago.

Once you’re in the water you can dock at many if the park islands. Aubrey, Mermaid and Beaurevage are some of our favorites, and use the free day docks in Ganaocque to buy supplies but you have to pay per night or have a park pass as Hamburgking suggested.

The only free dock I know of for more then a few nights is Main Duck Island, if you’re adventurous but it’s very remote. Nice little harbor and dock there, but nothing else.
dreadpiratk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2021, 16:53   #22

Boat: Beneteau F29

Try blue heron marina in Ivy Lea, it's an out of the way place. Small sign and dirt lane off of #2 just to the west of the $ club

Also Guild's marina in at mallorytown landing
mcswain29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2021, 06:41   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelhemington View Post
So you're telling us you have a 50 year old 26' boat that's structurally so weak you can't keep it on the hard and you want to put it in the water? OMG This sounds like a lot more than just tidying her up to me. The tipping point on this boat is less than 10,000 loonies. Spend more than that and you could have replaced it for one with good structural bones and close to sailing condition. Don't mean to be harsh but the cheapest place to park this heap would be at the bottom of Lake Ontario. Good luck redoing the bottom if the boat is so weak it can't be hauled out and set on the hard. It sounds like you're going to be a lot more than merely frazzled by the time you resolve all the issues with this boat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfelsent View Post
Brand new boats don’t like to be stored incorrectly.
Older boats don’t like to be stored incorrectly.
Boats of any age have issues when you store them with stands in the wrong place.
I completely disagree with the negative tone in this post.
+1 to Dfelsent!

Joel, unfortunately, you do NOT know whereof you speak. G26s were not only overbuilt, but built well, and Skoro has been lovingly maintained by a family-owner from Wolfe Island.

Ann has landed herself a lovely little boat for a reasonable price - unheard of in this market, but she has.

Skoro has undoubtedly chosen Ann!

Please leave her alone. In the immortal words of Flower the Shunk, "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all."

LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, cheap, dock