Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-06-2019, 14:33   #1

Cruising chute w/ ATN snuffer

We have decided to part with our asymmetrical spinnaker. Or call it a drifter.

The sail was made by a local sailmaker in Beaufort NC. It is in very good condition. Luff: 41'. Foot: 22'.

It is being sold with an ATN snuffer. As far as I can tell, this is the best snuffer made, and it works really well. Its condition is basically like-new, other than a few small stains it picked up somewhere. This is a very well-made product. The sock is 42' long.

Photos of my gear can be seen at:
https://500px.com/kudzutraveler/gall...ical-spinnaker

Just the snuffer new would cost you close to $500. New, the sail would go for $1000 or more. I'd like to get $500 for the both. Price is firm.

Please PM me if you want more info.

We are using it on our Cape Dory 31. Our I-measurement is 41', the J is 13.5 Therefore, our headstay is 43.17 long. I would say that the 31 is perhaps the smallest boat you'd want to use this sail on, and I'm guessing that on up to 36 would work well, maybe longer.

A sail bag in which the drifter is stored in its sock, and one high-quality sheet, are included.

If you'd like to get into the cruising spinnaker game, this is a turn-key package. Although one could use this sail with a pole, we never did. It flies nicely and really drives the boat well in light air. It's big, and we never used it in more than 10 knots of wind; but I'm not saying YOU shouldn't!

The sail does not connect to the forestay, it flies from its own luff line. You connect the head to your spinnaker halyard, run your sheet back to the cockpit, and connect the tack to a tack-line; then you haul it up the mast. You pull the line on the ATN to un-snuff it, and now you're sailing with it; you'll need to trim it better than you did with your first guess, most likely. To douse it, you release the sheet enough so that the clew can end up near the foredeck once the sail is snubbed. Using the line on the ATN, you pull the sock down over the sail. Once it's in, you lower it, disconnect the lines, fold it, and put it back in its bag. 99% of you already know this ...

These videos will give you good idea of how it works:

Here is ATN's fact sheet:
https://www.atninc.com/atn-spinnaker-sleeve.shtml

It's fun to use, and pretty to look at!
mainemandean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2019, 08:24   #2

Re: Cruising chute w/ ATN snuffer

Interested, we'll look at photos this evening and probably take it. Want to PM me your phone number?
Tusitala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2019, 08:27   #3

I was able to load photos on my phone. Send me your number so we can arrange payment/shipping
Tusitala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2019, 12:18   #4

Hi Tusitala. I sent you two PMs.

Dean
Old 26-06-2019, 06:40   #5

The chute has been sold.

Tags
cruising