Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > General Classifieds (no boats)
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-05-2022, 08:58   #1

Boat: Alubat Ovni 56
Electric Furler Profurl, Harken, Facnor

My 30 year old Profurl 24 volt electric furler has failed, and I'm looking at my options, I'd be more than happy with a working used unit, anybody have a system that is superfluous to their needs, never installed, or know of one?
The boat in question is an Alubat Ovni 56, and I need to take some rig measurements.
Thanks!
Paul,
SF Bay, California.
Fatboypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2022, 09:37   #2
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Re: Electric Furler Profurl, Harken, Facnor

You have answered your own question “ 30 year …” I suggest you buy the same again
Old 12-09-2022, 20:39   #3

Still looking for a used furler for my Alubat, somewhere in the world there is a perfectly healthy Profurl electric furler (or similar) waiting for a new lease on life. My Profurl ED52 looks to be worse for wear.
All leads welcomed.
Cheers, Paul.
510-508-0151
Old 13-09-2022, 11:16   #4

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatboypaul View Post
Still looking for a used furler for my Alubat, somewhere in the world there is a perfectly healthy Profurl electric furler (or similar) waiting for a new lease on life. My Profurl ED52 looks to be worse for wear.
All leads welcomed.
Cheers, Paul.
510-508-0151
Fwiw, I recently refurbished my unit with a bit of guidance from ProFurl NA and a local alternator shop. There are a number of components that can potentially wear (relays, cables/wires, seals, swivel, bearings, foil, etc), but if it is the electric motor itself you may want to go this route. It involves removing the unit from the headstay, separating the two halves of the casings, and extracting the motor. I inherited mine from a PO so cannot confirm the exact age, but it is at least 15 years old and probably more.

In my case the motor was actually in reasonable shape and only required brushes and cleaning up. The cabling where it passed above decks was in bad shape so I replaced that as well. These are the wires which connect inside the unit and run back to the below-decks relay. There was water inside my unit so I also cleaned up and re-greased the compartment holding the worm gear. Total cost was $264 to the alternator shop, the cabling, 3 tubes of winch grease, plus my time. By contrast, I was quoted $3,000 for a new motor from ProFurl. The casings go back together with three fasteners and some SikaFlex.

As I said, there are many components which could contribute to a failure but in my case I was fairly confident that the motor itself and its cabling were the culprits. So no guarantee that finding the used replacement you're searching for will carry the day. So far so good, but if my repair fails prematurely I will likely start over again with a new manual unit from Schaefer or Harken.

Good luck with your efforts at resolving this.
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2023, 07:44   #5

Bump, still looking for larger electric Profurl or similar furler.
Any leads appreciated.

Cheers, Paul.

Tags
electric, furler, Harken