Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > General Classifieds (no boats)
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2019, 12:34   #1

Boat: Taswell 44
Emergency Rigging Kit for Offshore Cruisers

For Sale: Emergency Rigging Kit developed by The Rigging Company in Annapolis, Maryland

This is the only comprehensive rig repair kit I've seen on the market. It was developed by The Rigging Company for use by offshore cruisers. It contains everything you'd need to stabilize any sort of rigging failure to get you safely back to port. The kit is (thankfully) unused.

This kit should be mandatory equipment for any vessel sailing offshore. It can mean the difference of abandoning the boat or safely returning to port under reduced sail.

Contents and Use:

100 ft. 1/2" Vectra ... to serve as emergency stays in event of rig failure. Attaches to a Highfield lever at deck anchor point.

47" 5/16" Long Spectra loop ... looped around mast high up to serve as anchor points for emergency stay (1/2 Vectra line)

26" 5/16" Short Spectra loop . . . looped around tangs on mast to serve as anchor points for emergency stay (1/2 Vectra line)

Highfield Lever . . . attached to chain plate at deck. Tie trucker's hitch (using 100 ft Vectra line) with 3 to 4 hitches and tape off hitches so they can't come loose. Tighten the Highfield Lever to provide tension to emergency stay.

Zip Ties . . . used to "fish" loops through hole in mast.

Scotch #35 White Electrical Tape

Black carrying case

Original cost of kit was $600. Currently offered at $390.

*** Kit does not include saw blades or foam core shown in photo.
walterc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 19:25   #2

Boat: 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB
Re: Emergency Rigging Kit for Offshore Cruisers

I think I'd call that a turnbuckle rather than a Highfield lever. And I'm supposed to climb that mast which has a broken stay and loop that around the top? Not sure I have a better solution, but I'd let you go first.
sanibel sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 19:41   #3

Boat: Taswell 44

It's definitely a Highfield Lever (they are getting rather hard to find). We just finished a 17,000 mile voyage from New York to Australia. When you are 1000 mile offshore and something breaks, you have no choice but to find a way to fix it. The boat ahead of us sailed 800 miles with no rudder, just using warps attached to bridles to steer. Where there is a will, there is a way. It would be amazing to compile a iist of jerryrigged solutions just among the boats we sailed with.
walterc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 14:25   #4

Location: Eastern Caribbean for the 2020 season then east coast or Panama
Boat: Lagoon 470 cat

That is definetely not a Highfield lever. It is a turnbuckle with built in / attached handles so that it can be tightened without other tools. A Highfield lever has a (long) handle that flips over to tension the stay.
Moontide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2019, 10:14   #5
Junior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Dufour 38 Classic

I'm interested buying it. Can you please send me an e-mail or phone number you can be reached at? Thanks,

C-Wolf
1 416 738 4826
C-Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser, emergency, enc, offshore, rigging