Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2022, 22:05   #1

Boat: 37 ft Aluminium Cutter - Roberts design
Grainger Westward Tap & Die Sets

Hi

I have two 40-piece tap and die sets made by Grainger Westward which seems to be a pretty good brand. Both look unused although there’s very minor surface rust on some pieces. I’m pretty sure they are NPT which I am unable to use as I live in a BSP world. The metric set is AK40M and the imperial set is 740NCNF. They appear to be about CAN$300 each new. I don’t know what they are worth – I’d be happy getting AUS$250 + postage/packaging for both. Cheers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6061.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	250908   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6062.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	250909  

Wideocean7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 22:20   #2

Re: Grainger Westward Tap & Die Sets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wideocean7 View Post
Hi

I have two 40-piece tap and die sets made by Grainger Westward which seems to be a pretty good brand. Both look unused although there’s very minor surface rust on some pieces. I’m pretty sure they are NPT which I am unable to use as I live in a BSP world. The metric set is AK40M and the imperial set is 740NCNF. They appear to be about CAN$300 each new. I don’t know what they are worth – I’d be happy getting AUS$250 + postage/packaging for both. Cheers.
For what it's worth. In my opinion Westward is not the top of the line. They are a good deal at this price though! I used to buy them as first line sets for staff. They hold up to that sort of beating very nicely. I went this route after finding the same broken tap in 2 sets of the TiN coated Canadian tire/harbour freight grade crap, and then two days ferreting around in boats to figure out who did it and where the broken off bits were residing. The problem never reoccured with westward. As a boat set, these would be excellent with the occasional spritz of oil, where one would be nuts to spring for top shelf, but equally nuts to buy the usual bargain bin junk. They're properly hardened, well cut and leave a good result. If I didn't happen to have them already, I'd buy them this minute..
Startracker is offline   Reply With Quote