Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > General Classifieds (no boats)
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-10-2018, 08:31   #1

Boat: Nonsuch 36
ICOM IC-7200 HAM / Maritime HF set 100W

I listed this unit on eBay as well so if you want to use eBay's money back guarantee, it's listing 142963737797. A direct sale through this forum will be cheaper.

The location of this radio is in Jacksonville Florida. The price is 700 USD

In excellent condition, the Icom IC-7200 HAM radio complete with original mic, manual and power cable. Was used for about one month during an Atlantic crossing. Not in use after that. Tested before listing and works perfect.
The mounting bracket to hang this unit to a ceiling, I made myself. It looks good and fits perfect. It's included in the listing.

This is an HAM unit but it's open for all bands including maritime frequencies.

It was used in combination with a Pactor III usb modem and a AT104 tuner. Check my other listings for those items.

Check the Icom website for full specs of this rugged HF set!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181005_105228.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	406.3 KB
ID:	178490   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181005_105305.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	407.6 KB
ID:	178491  

Name:	20181005_105539.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	399.9 KB
ID:	178492   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181005_105647.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	394.3 KB
ID:	178493  

Name:	20181005_105708.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	402.0 KB
ID:	178494   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181005_105851.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	405.3 KB
ID:	178495  

Old 05-10-2018, 09:29   #2

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore
Re: ICOM IC-7200 HAM / Maritime HF set 100W

You should probably point out for newbies that this radio cannot LEGALLY be used on Marine HF frequencies.
Old 05-10-2018, 13:07   #3

That's right monster! Thanks for your comment.

So here we go: Newbies, please beware and look out for the government, police, coastguard to check if your radio is "maritime".

Seriously,

- If you're operating on HAM frequencies you need a HAM license.

- If you want to use maritime frequencies you need a ships license.

That's basically what it comes down to.

However, this unit has NO distress button and is NOT factory pre-programmed for maritime frequencies. It is also NOT GMDSS, SOLAS or whatever-you-have approved. And there might be some radio rules that dictate that you may not use a civilian (HAM) radio to operate on frequencies that are maritime.

On the other hand, nobody talks on maritime frequencies for fun and you are legal calling in a distress with an HAM radio. You can legally listen to maritime frequencies because you can listen to any frequency you want. You can also pre-program maritime (distress) channels yourself in this unit up to 199 of them. And, most importantly, you will be able to chat with your friend on a HAM frequency, which you can not do with an official "maritime" radio. Above all, you will be able to get your GRIBB files or E-mail (WinLink). This unit is not limited to anything.

As you can tell, I'm trying to sell this unit. Unfortunately it's a little more complicated than I thought because of the "legal" stuff. I did and do NOT want to start a discussion here but I'm happy to share my thoughts about it in a discussion topic.

Cheers,
Old 05-10-2018, 13:08   #4

the Pactor III USB is sold (ebay 05 okt 2018)
Old 05-10-2018, 13:14   #5

This is a ham radio..... PERIOD. It may not be used on marine frequencies legally, at least in the US and most EU nations. It doesnt mater if you have a marine/ship license or not. Its not certified for marine use. Its not a bad ham radio but its not a marine radio..
Old 05-10-2018, 13:57   #6

Oh. In that case I reduce my price to $500.-

seriously. $500.- and it's yours
Only because I found out that in the USA the listprice is less than in the country I bought it. (Netherlands) It is open for all frequencies for that price
Old 05-10-2018, 14:03   #7

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Standbly View Post
That's right monster! Thanks for your comment.

So here we go: Newbies, please beware and look out for the government, police, coastguard to check if your radio is "maritime".

Seriously,

- If you're operating on HAM frequencies you need a HAM license.

- If you want to use maritime frequencies you need a ships license.

That's basically what it comes down to.

However, this unit has NO distress button and is NOT factory pre-programmed for maritime frequencies. It is also NOT GMDSS, SOLAS or whatever-you-have approved. And there might be some radio rules that dictate that you may not use a civilian (HAM) radio to operate on frequencies that are maritime.

On the other hand, nobody talks on maritime frequencies for fun and you are legal calling in a distress with an HAM radio. You can legally listen to maritime frequencies because you can listen to any frequency you want. You can also pre-program maritime (distress) channels yourself in this unit up to 199 of them. And, most importantly, you will be able to chat with your friend on a HAM frequency, which you can not do with an official "maritime" radio. Above all, you will be able to get your GRIBB files or E-mail (WinLink). This unit is not limited to anything.

As you can tell, I'm trying to sell this unit. Unfortunately it's a little more complicated than I thought because of the "legal" stuff. I did and do NOT want to start a discussion here but I'm happy to share my thoughts about it in a discussion topic.

Cheers,

No. What it basically comes down to is that it is illegal to use this radio to transmit on Marine frequencies, period, regardless of what licenses you hold. If you have done so, you were in violation. Not everyone knows this, and it would have been good to have pointed this out before someone bought it and used in on Marine frequencies and got unlucky enough to be busted and fined. I agree, for just socializing and for many other purposes, the HAM bands have more to offer, but you are presenting the ability to transmit outside the HAM bands. Including on Marine frequencies, as a selling point. Sorry if I ruffled any feathers and I am not accusing you of irresponsible intentions, but it should be (and now has been) pointed out.

BTW, what model tuner are you selling? If it is an AT130 or 140 I might be interested if the price is right.
Old 05-10-2018, 14:21   #8

It's the AT-140 and I haven't determined the price yet. I'm open for a good suggestion.

I bought the whole lot in the Netherlands (Europe) and US list prices are not the same. The Pactor is actually cheaper in Europe so that was sold within 24h but I have to cut losses on the transceiver and the tuner I guess.

About the tuner. It looks like new. Obviously it functions like new. It's on its stainless mounting plates. I've ordered a brand new 4P connector for it so it's a complete package ready to go.

The original connector I had to cut of for an easy de-installation.
Old 07-10-2018, 03:23   #9

I had the Icom 7200 for 5 years in the boat and it was a great radio and works well with the pactor modem! Looks nice in combination with the tuner.

Maybe not a marine version, but for ham a perfect radio.
Old 07-10-2018, 09:49   #10

SOLD on eBay 07 oct 2018
Closed Thread

Tags
icom