Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-12-2022, 18:49   #1

Iridium Go!

Hi All,

I bought an Iridium Go! from PredictWind along with the fixed installation kit (high power antenna and cable, etc.) for a trip I was planning to take this fall, and it fell through. (The trip, not the satelite modem).

Anyway, I'm looking to find a home for it. I paid $1200US but happy to let it go to the highest bidder. It includes a sim card from PredictWind and all original packaging. I did open the box to test it out, but otherwise, there's not a scratch on it.

DM me if interested in some more pictures or discussion...

Happy Holidays!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4977.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	406.3 KB
ID:	268918   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4978.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	412.7 KB
ID:	268919  

Name:	IMG_4980.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	412.8 KB
ID:	268920   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4991.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	399.8 KB
ID:	268921  

Name:	iridium-go-fixed-installation-kit-irid-go-inst-kit.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	268922  
Old 18-12-2022, 19:06   #2

Boat: 1999 Hunter 410
Re: Iridium Go!

When you tested it out (I know nothing) there isn't any permanent info or setting up you did that would make it difficult to transfere to another person?
I'm on the fence here as I plan on buying exactly that set up for a trip next June. Would rather not have some hangup.
Where are you? I'm in so. California
Old 18-12-2022, 21:00   #3

Boat: Leopard 40

Hi,

I just got an advert from Predict wind for the Iridium Go Exec. A lot more pricey than $1200. Will post a screen shot.

As I am still at least 2 years from cruising I will hope cheaper alternatives come along…GO ELON!!!!

As a matter of interest, what are the data costs for this setup?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0F035EC5-55AC-40FD-8F93-643B1AF6EF10.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	200.7 KB
ID:	268925  
Old 19-12-2022, 06:22   #4

I have an IridiumGO fixed mount system, and just installed Starlink which is around $55/mo in Mexico (IridiumGO plan is $155/mo for a fraction of throughput). I plan to head south - Starlink is not available in Costa Rica yet, but probably will be by the time I get there. I'd imagine given the cost for sat time, I'll eventually remove IridiumGO without ever really using it. Just depends on how reliable Starlink proves.

I too just received an advertisement for IridiumGO Exec which states is 40x faster than the old one. Perhaps it uses the same antenna as original IridiumGO, or hopefully at least the same antenna cable (the toughest part of install by far).

Bottom line is my IridiumGO system has seriously devalued in the 2 years I've owned it, especially with the "Exec" package on the horizon.
Old 19-12-2022, 06:33   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windpilot View Post
When you tested it out (I know nothing) there isn't any permanent info or setting up you did that would make it difficult to transfere to another person?
I'm on the fence here as I plan on buying exactly that set up for a trip next June. Would rather not have some hangup.
Where are you? I'm in so. California

I bought two sim cards from PredictWind (They are only $10 each) and used one to try out the system. -not something you want to do after you cast the lines. I later found out that you can test the system using an Iridium phone number and data link. I will add that I was surprised at how well it worked. I used it inside my house (next to a window) and I got 5 bars.

To answer the question though - no, there are no permanent settings involved. Each time you insert a sim card, you register it with the network (with a data plan) and you're good to go.

Regarding data plans - PredictWind has a plan which includes 150 minutes of cell phone talk time plus unlimited data usage for $150 a month. They have other plans too but this seems to be the most popular...
Old 19-12-2022, 11:36   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananatoe View Post
I paid $1200US but happy to let it go to the highest bidder. Happy Holidays!
Happy Christmas indeed

Sadly the forum rules require you to add a price to any item for sale.

If you post another message with the price, that will be fine and members can then decide if they wish to proceed and contact you.

Regards

Pete
Old 19-12-2022, 12:52   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Happy Christmas indeed

Sadly the forum rules require you to add a price to any item for sale.

If you post another message with the price, that will be fine and members can then decide if they wish to proceed and contact you.

Regards

Pete
Thanks Pete- no trouble. Asking price is $1100…
Closed Thread

Tags
iridium