Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-03-2020, 14:00   #16

Boat: Pearson 303
Re: Laser sailboat free to forum members

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post
I have a recreational Laser that I will pass on to any forum member who wants a family trainer and can come get it in the Florida panhandle.

I modified this Laser to overcome the class's greatest weakness for recreational use - you can't drop the sail when you launch or return to the beach, because the sail threads over the mast. This one furls (see the photo). It could be returned to class rules by removing the rings and replacing the cockpit drain with a class-legal model.

Located in Carrabelle, Florida, about 50 miles south of Tallahassee. You will need a trailer; she can be moved on just about any utility flatbed or small boat trailer. Comes with all the parts, but will need some cleaning up since it has been sitting. Has lift rings for getting on and off our big boat.

We've got too many toys and not enough time for all of them. If this one can help some kids learn to sail, let's go for it. On sale locally for $300.

Send me a private message describing your planned use of it. I'll cancel the thread when we have a match.
Well done sir! This is America at it's best when we need it to be.
rmesfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2020, 20:01   #17

Boat: Coast 30

I applaud the generosity of any one who helps a child to learn to sail.

Several people seem to share the concern about boat designs that have a sleeve in the luff of the main/cat rig sail that slips over a GRP or aluminum alloy mast? unfortunately there are many that do this. Walkerbay sail kits come to mind. I also have been concerned about being out there and unable to drop sail in a sudden blow.

Stainless steel rings are used in the shell fishing industry. and are incorporated into crab pots, So this may be a source to look for them?

At the machine-shop in a local fishing port I worked in one summer I was introduced to the usual manufacturing method. Thus I write to describe in the hope that this could be of interest to some members.
I was shown how to mount A steel mandrel of the same outside diameter as the intended inside diameter of the rings in a four jaw chuck of a very old heavy duty Engineers metal working lathe. The lowest gear being selected. I seem to recall was about 6 Rpm.

A hardwood block was fitted into the tool post on the carriage through which a 3/8 diameter stainless steel rod was inserted, Its end inserted into a clamp on the side of the mandrel.

When the clutch was engaged this caused the cold working of a very big spring. Until I had successfully run the first couple. watching the forces at play was just a little nerve whacking.

These springs were sliced down their length thus converting the steel into rings that were slightly twisted. These were then pressed/hammered.tweeked until the ends were in alignment and tig welded together.

Any local machine shop should be able to do this. for mast rings; obviously a smaller wire gauge material can be used.
coastalexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 07:27   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Thank you all for responses and kind words. I have several people in line and am moving to arrangements. I'll delete the post this evening.

The rings are 3" stainless steel split rings, but I can't remember or replicate where I bought them - off the internet, for sure. The ties are ordinary SS safety wire around the embedded rope in the luff. I had to bevel the plastic joint between the two sections of the mast, to minimize the rings hanging up on the way down the mast.

Training: My first boat was an Optimist Class pram, built by Clark Mills, the designer. He was a school classmate of my mother in Clearwater, and I remember him. Putting up the river Cam in England a few years ago I ran into a fleet of Optimists, with the younger kids having only a half sail - no gaff pole. My second boat was an OK Dinghy, cut-down of the Olympic Finn, and very similar to the Laser.
Old 01-04-2020, 07:40   #19

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

Well done Sir!

Rings might be 3D printed. Anyone have a printer that could give this a try?
darylat8750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 13:14   #20

Boat: Lagoon TPI 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckpond49 View Post
I considered myself a capable sailor with bluewater cruising experience in the Bahamas and the Virgins. Then I got a Laser and learned more about upwind, downwind, reaching and balance with that little boat than I ever did on 40' foot boats!
One of the best times of my life was sailing a Laser out of Antigua in the Caribbean in a race. What a blast.
Our yacht club have several for us to use when ever we want. They really teach us how to sail. Teaches me a lot more than my big catamaran.
sailingchiro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sailboat, sail, rum, member, boat