Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-11-2020, 12:51   #16

Boat: Bristol 35.5 1978
Re: Monitor Windvane LIKE NEW

I'll take the newspaper...
Hoodsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2020, 12:54   #17

Boat: Union cutter 33

How d your boat get from California to Lake Ontario ??
rosatte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2020, 13:23   #18

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by afeyling View Post
Here are the photos of the wind vane. The three on the garage floor are the actual unit, the two on the boat are on a sistership for illustrative purposes only.
LEARN TO READ!!!!
Bill Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2020, 13:56   #19

Boat: Tayana 37

So - not to defend anyone or anything here, but maybe let's all calm down a bit?

I was one of, if not THE GUY who reported Makees for trying to scam people. I've been shopping for a windvane for months now and have received FOUR scam offers on this site. EVERY scam was the same MO - a legit offer was posted, I replied to the legit offer, and then the scammer PM'd me trying to sell a "different" wind vane cheaper that his "friend" had.

I COMPLETELY AGREE that a brand new account selling a big $$$ item should be held to a very high proof of authenticity. But are we going to stop allowing sales of windvanes here?

So far, this poster has posted location, pictures, and a newspaper dated today with the product (next to his car license plate...). Until such time as this seller either tries to make us use western union or wire transfer, we should be willing to move forward with the assumption it MIGHT BE legit and maybe stop smashing a new member? What else can he do to prove authenticity? Proof of life? Send a piece of the windvane in a plastic bag to the cops?

I do think posting the 2 pics of someone else's boat was a mistake (and I'm sure the OP would agree at this point...lmao) but he did identify it as not his in the post.

Now - maybe this dude is a total scammer and this sale is fraudulent, but there are ways to protect yourself by using your credit card through paypal - the only way I purchase anything online from an individual - and I recommend you adopt the same policy if you buy online. It gives you two avenues to recover your funds if it's a scam.

So far, the OP has not replied to my offer to purchase, so perhaps he was a scammer and you all scared him off. Or perhaps he was trying to sell a fantastic Monitor and decided we were all too much trouble...

It's unusual for a scammer to let a fish off the hook, so I'm kind of leaning towards legit sale at the moment, but I've waited months, I can wait a few more if I feel it's shady.

Again - I'm 100% for a higher standard of proof from a new account, and I think just joining a forum to sell a product is pretty common too, so...it's a catch 22.
Old 13-11-2020, 14:09   #20

Boat: Tayana 37

I should also say that I did catch a scammer using the site to "sell a Fleming windvane a few months ago - he just straight up reproduced an older ad for a Fleming windvane and pretended it was his - same pics and everything - so I'm not unaware that scammers try to do this stuff, I'm just saying the guy did what was asked of him - posted pics, newspaper, etc.
Old 13-11-2020, 15:30   #21

Boat: Catalina 320 #646

All,

I am sorry about all the ruckus I have caused by posting this wind vane. It’s been in my garage at several houses and I have no need for it. I paid a fair chunk for it when I acquired it back when. This is the first time I have ever posted anything for sale on line (may also be the last after all this), so I have no idea how this might work. I guess I was hoping someone in the southeast would be interested and we could do the transaction in person. I haven’t really considered how to to a cross country transaction. Also, I am having a hard time figuring out how to use this web site, it’s not very intuitive.

I am a little taken aback by the ferocity of the attacks on this website. I can maybe post my kids fourth grade spelling bee results and my dogs vaccination records to further establish authenticity?

I will respond to messages sent me next, I have been busy driving the last hour (to my boat).

Thank you all for the education I have received today.

Arne Feyling, S/V “Nomad”
afeyling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2020, 18:16   #22

Alright y'all,

A poster with no posting history selling a lightly-used windvane it very suspicious because of some recent "windvane" scams.

Take a closer look...
The car tag is a Shelby County tag ("58...")
The month of the registration sticker (red blob in upper right corner of the tag) is 04, which corresponds with April and that is the month during which folks in Alabama whose last name begins with F register their vehicles.

He put a current picture of Birmingham newspaper on the windvane. The other info that might lead one to believe the veracity of this poster is that Shelby County is the county adjacent to and south of Jefferson County, where Birmingham is. The significance of this is that Shelby County contains the affluent suburbs of the Birmingham metropolitan area. (Boat + BMW)+ Alabama = Affluence; therefore, it is likely that Mr. Windvane is telling the truth.
scherzoja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2020, 18:44   #23

Great sleuthing. I just want to free up space in my garage to buy a motorcycle. If nobody believes me or wants the thing I’ll put in in the dumpster and post a clue and we can have a scavenger hunt. It is a gated community so you’re going to have to figure out how to get by the guards.
Old 13-11-2020, 19:16   #24

Sleuthing. . . It's an art, it's a talent that some people lack

Too bad it's not a few few years from now, when I'll be at the point of needing a windvane. I'm out of this game, there are too many gates in that area for an easy solution. Crack a few bears, crack a few valves, maybe if I were 152 years old I'd be wise enough to know not to stand on the Frontline. But at that age, my hair might have a little wisp.

Maybe we'll meet one day at the science center or rendezvous with the CLCF, just hope the water don't burn. Say hello to Jacqueline. Five score and seven. If only we had eleven fingers.

I hope you sell it without too much hassle, you seem like trustworthy bloke.
Old 13-11-2020, 19:21   #25

Thanks, I appreciate it. I did get a few replies and since I’m an old fashioned guy we’re going to meet in person and do the transaction old timer style. I have enjoyed this first exposure to trying to post something online.

Fair winds!
Old 13-11-2020, 19:27   #26

Scherzoja, are you in the BHM area? Do you have a boat in the area?
Old 13-11-2020, 19:32   #27

I'm in the general area, I sent you a PM.
Old 13-11-2020, 19:35   #28

Boat: 1980 Pacific International Marine 41.5

If you don't find a buyer here, you could try craigslist or ebay.

I don't think you a scammer and unfortunately if it was a bit more time from now I'd be buying. If your still with it next year spring time message me
chowdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2020, 19:36   #29

I think I’m fine, made contact with a decent guy in TX and we’ll meet in person and figure it out. Thanks for the moral support.
Old 13-11-2020, 20:37   #30

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afeyling View Post
All,

I am sorry about all the ruckus I have caused by posting this wind vane. It’s been in my garage at several houses and I have no need for it. I paid a fair chunk for it when I acquired it back when. This is the first time I have ever posted anything for sale on line (may also be the last after all this), so I have no idea how this might work. I guess I was hoping someone in the southeast would be interested and we could do the transaction in person. I haven’t really considered how to to a cross country transaction. Also, I am having a hard time figuring out how to use this web site, it’s not very intuitive.

I am a little taken aback by the ferocity of the attacks on this website. I can maybe post my kids fourth grade spelling bee results and my dogs vaccination records to further establish authenticity?

I will respond to messages sent me next, I have been busy driving the last hour (to my boat).

Thank you all for the education I have received today.

Arne Feyling, S/V “Nomad”

Sorry you have to go through this. Just bad timing. I was the last one that had a scam tried on me. It was a "new member. They told me of a friend that was selling a windvane and their phone #. I text and asked for pictures 3 times. By this time, I pretty much knew it was a set up. They finally sent the pictures and i looked the name of the vane on Google images and there were the same pictures in Australia. So there ya go!

The 1st person, that got scammed, I believe did loose some money. You have complied with everyone wishes and I feel do not deserve the berating you're getting.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monitor, wind, windvane