Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2023, 21:36   #1

Monitor Windvane + MRud

I have for sale a beautiful, lightly used Monitor Windvane including an MRud Emergency Rudder. The serial number ends in 1100, which indicates a November of 2000 production date, but it looks much younger than that. The MRud parts have never been mounted or deployed.

It comes with a factory-sealed cruising spare parts kit, so all parts are present and accounted for.

Also included is a printed manual (try to get one of those from Scanmar nowadays) and an instructional insert for the MRud.

I have purchased several new parts from Scanmar, such as: 2 new windvane clamp knobs (see pics), all new mount fasteners for the transom, new black Delrin washers for the windvane yoke (the large black rings in one of the pics, to be eventually installed by new owner).

The 1/4”, 18’ parallel-core Spectra control lines from the pendulum were removed (see pics) but there brand new lines in the MRud package (sealed bag in pics) that can be used for control lines on the pendulum, as they are coincidentally the exact same length and type.
Those lines would eventually have to be replaced for MRud functionality.

There are also diagonal tubes included in the mounting scheme (see pics). These are optional and can be removed, if not desired. There are also two new, but slightly shorter, bolts included for the upper mount/mounting tubes if the diagonals are not used.

There is a choice of Safety tubes, Standard (14”) and +2” (16”). If a longer Safety tube is needed, it will have to be acquired by the new owner. These are common 1 1/2” 316L stainless tubes (.049 or .065 wall thickness, depending on length). Don’t pay Scanmar prices for those!

I have included a profile picture of the vessel from which this unit was removed. It was a Caliber 38’, the 1st version. As you can see it has a slight reverse transom. This Monitor could be easily modified to fit a variety of transoms, including any canoe stern types. All four mounting tubes are fairly long and can cut shorter for a proper fit. If longer lower tubes are required for a more traditional counter transom mount, they are common 1 1/4”, (.049 wall) stainless tubes that can be sourced at just about any steel supply store, as mentioned above. Don’t pay Scanmar prices for those!

I would like to sell this as a package. I will sell the Monitor separately from the MRud, but the MRud has to sell first. Sorry, but dems da rules.

If you have an exposed rudder (spade or partial skeg) I would recommend having some sort of emergency steering device on board for offshore cruising.

The firm price for this package is $3,200.

Separately, Monitor is $2,700 and MRud is $700. This Monitor took only ONE trip, from the Puget Sound to San Francisco and back. It is in remarkable condition for a 23 year-old unit, it has several new parts + all the extras. It’s a great value for a highly reputable self-steering device.

Note: The MRud has some dents on the side, near the bottom (see pic).

This package is located in Anacortes, WA. Shipping would probably not be cost-effective, either in terms of dollars or time, and I would have to be ‘highly motivated’ to undertake such an endeavor. Scanmar charges $70 just for the Monitor shipping box, the MRud would require a separate box. I think FEDEX shipping would be $175-200 to the East Coast, just for the Monitor.

Please PM if you’re interested and I will be glad to answer additional questions via personal email or phone call. I’m fairly knowledgeable about Monitors (if I say so myself).

I’m selling this one because I found an even newer one in the local area and my full-keeler doesn’t really need the MRud. Don’t ask about my collection of outboard motors. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1677216759.146725.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	271934Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1677216787.277250.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	271935Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2516.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	271936Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2524.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	271937Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1677216832.513771.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	271938Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2561.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	271939Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3853.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	271940Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3854.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	271941Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3857.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	159.9 KB
ID:	271942Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3859.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	271943Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3862.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	271944Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3866.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	271945Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3062.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	271946

If you have read this far, thank you for looking.

~Erich
flyboyerich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 12:29   #2

Boat: Mason 44
Re: Monitor Windvane + MRud

Monitor has been sold locally. MRud is still available, but I discovered it didn’t quite fit between the strut guard and pendulum very well so I’ll have to get it modified slightly. There was a design requirement to fit on four points with tight tolerances, it didn’t quite do that. It’s one of those components that MUST work right out of the box without fuss. I’ll relist it after I get the adjustment done.
SEA_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 20:33   #3

I resurrected an old electronic device and I see I logged in with my previous CF account. 🤦🏼*♂️ The Monitor is sold and off to new boat. The buyer has tiller steering, so I still have a barely-used wheel adapter for sale if anyone needs one. There was a WTB request for one on here a while back.
~E
flyboyerich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 11:41   #4

Boat: Swan 44 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboyerich View Post
I resurrected an old electronic device and I see I logged in with my previous CF account. 🤦🏼*♂️ The Monitor is sold and off to new boat. The buyer has tiller steering, so I still have a barely-used wheel adapter for sale if anyone needs one. There was a WTB request for one on here a while back.
~E

I sent you a PM.
Roniszoro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monitor, wind, windvane