Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > General Classifieds (no boats)
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-02-2023, 06:09   #1
SBM

Boat: 39' gaff rigged schooner
New Rocna Vulcan 25 kg galvanized anchor

This 25 kg (55 pounds) galvanized anchor is new and never used. We bought it last summer, but couldn’t get it to fit on our boat with our bowsprit (long story). It has a few superficial marks where we put it on our roller trying to make it work, but it was never deployed. Asking $650 ($800 new).
The anchor is in Bel Air, Maryland. Can meet up for a drop off in Maryland, south to Annapolis area, or can meet on the way to, or in southern Connecticut on a roughly monthly trip if you don’t need it immediately. Or ground shipping.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20221029_152513.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	416.7 KB
ID:	271671   Click image for larger version

Name:	20221029_152114.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	452.7 KB
ID:	271672  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20221029_152039.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	410.4 KB
ID:	271673  
Old 16-02-2023, 17:43   #2

Boat: 1966 Bristol 29
Re: New Rocna Vulcan 25 kg galvanized anchor

I’m just curious what Anchor did you end up using?
Old 16-02-2023, 18:10   #3
SBM

We've had a 45 lb CQR for many years and as we poked further up creeks in the Chesapeake over the years, started getting tired of it dragging in the slimy mud. Our boat is up in Maine for now, and we've never had problems dragging there. But still would have liked the extra holding and really wish we could have made the Rocna work, but the configuration of our bowsprit, staysail club, etc. just didn't allow it.
Old 16-02-2023, 18:15   #4

Boat: Hylas 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eidolon65 View Post
I’m just curious what Anchor did you end up using?
Eidolon has a 39' Gaff'r, could be full length keel, somewhat heavy displacement and needed the weight up....or he went traditional? Curious too!

Note: I have the same anchor....I've never had a anchor that hooks up like the Rocna.

Whoops....looks like I got Eidolon and SBM mixed up in their/my profiles....
Old 17-02-2023, 04:57   #5
SBM

I thought it sounded like Eidolon was just like us - now I know why! We have a full keel but with cutaway forefoot, 12 tons, and while the 45# did us well for many years and most conditions, both the extra weight and the design of the Rocna were very appealing. We're considering a 65# cqr now.
Old 17-02-2023, 11:29   #6

Just out of curiosity, could you give a little more information on what prevented to fit the Rocna?
I am contemplating to switching to a Vulcan as well, and I am trying to figure out if it would work... My boat has a bowsprit as well, so any insight that you can provide from your direct experience would be very appreciated.
Thank you!
Old 17-02-2023, 12:39   #7

Boat: Catalina 355 35'

Quote:
Originally Posted by FabioC View Post
Just out of curiosity, could you give a little more information on what prevented to fit the Rocna?
I am contemplating to switching to a Vulcan as well, and I am trying to figure out if it would work... My boat has a bowsprit as well, so any insight that you can provide from your direct experience would be very appreciated.
Thank you!
If you go to Rocna website, click on Support then Fitment Guide. Scroll down to Full Scale Patterns where you can download and print out a full size side profile of an anchor. Tape these onto a piece of cardboard or plywood and cut it out. I did this before buying my Vulcan 20kg to see if it would fit.

Bill
Old 17-02-2023, 13:33   #8
SBM

Hi,

Yes Maine Cruiser did what we didn't have/take time to do before purchasing, thinking we could make it work. We had two issues: the staysail club on our bowsprit would hit the high curve of the anchor when it was stowed on its roller along the bowsprit. The other issue was that it got caught on the inner of our two bobstays, which the CQR doesn't do because of the articulated head. We considered several options - one was moving it further out on the bowsprit, but had a concern about safety deploying it and having it out on a lighter section. Also thought about lowering the position of the bow roller (and we did see a larger schooner up in Rockland ME whose roller was several inches down from the bowsprit). On our boat we were concerned it might be too low with seas. (our boat is a one-off, designed by Roger Long, a naval architect who mostly designed research vessels but also did some sail boat designs when he was in his 20's; built by my father--in-law and my husband helped him finish it. It has quirks.)

Pat
Old 17-02-2023, 14:02   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBM View Post
Hi,

Yes Maine Cruiser did what we didn't have/take time to do before purchasing, thinking we could make it work. We had two issues: the staysail club on our bowsprit would hit the high curve of the anchor when it was stowed on its roller along the bowsprit. The other issue was that it got caught on the inner of our two bobstays, which the CQR doesn't do because of the articulated head. We considered several options - one was moving it further out on the bowsprit, but had a concern about safety deploying it and having it out on a lighter section. Also thought about lowering the position of the bow roller (and we did see a larger schooner up in Rockland ME whose roller was several inches down from the bowsprit). On our boat we were concerned it might be too low with seas. (our boat is a one-off, designed by Roger Long, a naval architect who mostly designed research vessels but also did some sail boat designs when he was in his 20's; built by my father--in-law and my husband helped him finish it. It has quirks.)

Pat
Thank you for the info.
The high curve of the anchor getting in the way of something else is exactly my concern as well. I'll do what Maine Cruiser suggested and rig a cardboard model of the anchor to get a better idea.
On my boat, there is not much that can be done with the roller itself without intervening on the bowsprit, which would be a difficult, risky project.
The new gen anchors are great, but they did not think of fitting them on boats with bowsprits... (the other type of Rocna gets caught in things as well if you have a bowsprit...)
Old 07-03-2023, 09:57   #10

Boat: O’Day 40

Howdy- Vulcan 25 still available?

LouK
Annapolis
Old 07-03-2023, 10:33   #11
SBM

Hi, yes it is.

Pat
Old 07-03-2023, 10:43   #12

Boat: O’Day 40

That was a quick response, pls give me a call at 412-512-3020 to discuss.

Lou
Old 07-03-2023, 10:58   #13
SBM

Sure, I can call shortly
Pat
Old 23-05-2023, 06:30   #14

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

Was it sold?
Old 23-05-2023, 06:35   #15