Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-08-2020, 22:49   #1

passage to Costa Rica

I'm exploring the possibility and cost of hiring a private boat to transport myself, 2 other adults, 2 large dogs(Great Dane and Bouvier des Flandres) and 1 cat, from the U.S. to the Port of Entry at Quepos, Costa Rica. As close as I can tell, its about a 12 day trip from San Diego, although we'd be okay with leaving from anywhere along the western coast.

We can take on some of the duties, like cooking, cleaning, etc. if that would help. We are looking at this because our dogs aren't good candidates for cargo on a plane. One is old and the other has an anxiety disorder. If you might be interested in a trip to the tropics somewhere around January to March of 2021, or if you were planning a trip and company is okay, please let me know and we can communicate and see if we could work a deal. Thanks
Maryandcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2020, 22:57   #2

Boat: Allied 39
Re: passage to Costa Rica

Wait your dogs have issues traveling via air and you think 10 days at sea they would be fine. I am sorry to say with many of the countries closed from covid, it’s hurricane season now and trying to get a crew spot with two huge dogs that don’t travel well....... not sure how to say this kindly but it’s not going to work out.
Old 31-08-2020, 01:01   #3

As I mentioned, it would be about January to March timeline, on the Pacific side, and I assume that there would be occasional stops for fuel? I see a lot of people traveling with their dogs on board with no problem so I assume mine would be okay, as we'd be close enough to reassure them vs. having them crated in cargo in a noisy plane. Costa Rica is currently open to people from certain states. I'm anticipating that I'll be able to enter the country by the first of next year if things continue as they are.
thanks for your input.
Mary
Old 31-08-2020, 03:17   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

I think the cost of buying a beater van and driving down yourself will be far less than hiring a boat.
If it's a sailboat, it might take longer than twelve days--lots longer. If it's a powerboat, the cost of fuel will be huge, added to the daily rate for chartering the boat and paying a captain--remember, you have to pay him to return. If you want to hitch a ride with a mom-n-pop cruiser who are going there anyway, I suspect very few will have room for 3 people with needy pets.
Old 31-08-2020, 04:55   #5

Boat: Ovni 37 Sonate

I second the driving idea. I think your plan to put those dogs aboard a heaving boat is not a good one. Driving offers lots of positive alternatives.

The number one reason to take a van:
Letting the dogs out to run and use the bathroom consists of opening a door.
Where as on the boat you will need to come into a harbor of some kind (few and far between in certain areas of your planned voyage) anchoring, launching the dinghy, loading the dogs into it and bringing them ashore and then reversing the process to get back underway. Which means this will not happen often on the boat.

Number 2 reason:
You have been driving for years and have lots of experience.
Where as on the boat, you will not know what is going on and will certainly have a stiff learning curve and adjustments to make. If you do not love the sea already, you will certainly get seasick, wet, cold, exhausted.

Number 3:
You could probably buy a van, insurance and fuel for the cost of the charter.
You may not realize it, but even a direct passage at 14-20 days spent at sea will mostly likely cost you $10,000 to $15,000 dollars. Most charter boats are $5,000 a week. (depending on a lots of things- this is just a general round number).
Old 31-08-2020, 05:25   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenBowSirocco View Post
14-20 days spent at sea will mostly likely cost you $10,000 to $15,000 dollars. Most charter boats are $5,000 a week. (depending on a lots of things- this is just a general round number).
Where do I find a crewed charter for coastal passagemaking for $5k/week?

OP: You might have better luck finding a freighter-cruise that will take y'all. Chances are still near-zero, but marginally better than finding a private boat. Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it would be a tough sell even without the dogs. To paraphrase Groucho Marx, I don't think you'd want to be on the boat that would accept you as passengers.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=2825
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2020, 08:17   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryandcrew View Post
I'm exploring the possibility and cost of hiring a private boat to transport myself, 2 other adults, 2 large dogs(Great Dane and Bouvier des Flandres) and 1 cat, from the U.S. to the Port of Entry at Quepos, Costa Rica. As close as I can tell, its about a 12 day trip from San Diego, although we'd be okay with leaving from anywhere along the western coast.

We can take on some of the duties, like cooking, cleaning, etc. if that would help. We are looking at this because our dogs aren't good candidates for cargo on a plane. One is old and the other has an anxiety disorder. If you might be interested in a trip to the tropics somewhere around January to March of 2021, or if you were planning a trip and company is okay, please let me know and we can communicate and see if we could work a deal. Thanks
the trip is 2500 sea miles,or about 18 days not stop in most yachts averaging 6 knots

take the plane,get some tranquilizers for the dogs,much kinder and less stress
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2020, 09:01   #8

Boat: Baba 40

Check with CR’s entry rules. They’re currently only accepting Americans from certain US states.
Sailshabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2020, 09:07   #9

Boat: 42ft Moody Ketch

Got to agree with atoll , as someone who cruises with 2 large dogs it is a hassle , they also get anxiety in bad weather and we plan our journeys so they can get ashore , they are my family and always come with me but I would not do it again
Your dimogs will be fine on freight , a vet will give you some calming meds
How do you know if your dogs anxiety is triggered by planes. They are dogs not humans and if they have never been on boat , then sorry your being cruel to them taking them on such a trip on a boat.
My 2 dogs came from Greece to the uk on freight and no issues at all be sensible and take the plane
tarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2020, 09:21   #10

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35

Just because you've seen people with dogs on boats doesn't mean your dogs will be fine. It takes training to get them used to a boat, doing their business on a boat and not all dogs can do this. Some, like people get seasick. Older dogs are more problematic, can't teach an old dog new tricks sorta thing. If you found a power boat motoring down they will not be stopping for fuel daily. It may be several days or not at all depending on the boat.

A van makes much more sense or a motorhome.
Cpt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2020, 09:27   #11

driving would be the most humane
Stewie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2020, 11:20   #12

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
As I mentioned, it would be about January to March timeline, on the Pacific side, and I assume that there would be occasional stops for fuel? I see a lot of people traveling with their dogs on board with no problem so I assume mine would be okay, as we'd be close enough to reassure them vs. having them crated in cargo in a noisy plane. Costa Rica is currently open to people from certain states. I'm anticipating that I'll be able to enter the country by the first of next year if things continue as they are.
thanks for your input.
Mary
In spite of all the negative comments on your idea, it might just work out. Dogs are usually good if they can be within 5' of you (which is easy for them on a sail boat). I'd look for somebody with a good sized catamaran as that will make the trip easier on the dogs and you. Many cruisers are open to passengers to help with the watch schedule, if for no other reason. If you're willing to do some hands on learning and be an asset, then what you're proposing may not be as outlandish as some are making it out to be. Just to be safe, I'd start a bit further north than San Diego so you'll have a few days to see if it's really going to work out with an exit strategy.
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2020, 18:10   #13

Well, most of the reply's are not positive. We hesitated to drive because we've heard its become more risky since the Covid outbreak. I guess we'll bail on the boat and explore a road trip......3 girls, 2 dogs and a cat......should be interesting, aye?
Old 31-08-2020, 19:29   #14

Boat: Baba 40

Quote:
Well, most of the reply's are not positive. We hesitated to drive because we've heard its become more risky since the Covid outbreak. I guess we'll bail on the boat and explore a road trip......3 girls, 2 dogs and a cat......should be interesting, aye?
“What could possibly go wrong?” 😂 Stop back and fill us in!
Sailshabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2020, 20:37   #15

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
Mexico and parts south can be pretty shaky. Costa Rica is about the only place down there that's really safe. Three girls making that trip, pets aside, doesn't sound like a good idea to me. You have some time and should not bail on the boat idea just yet. This is not a normal scenario, so who really knows what's possible? Plan B would be to book passage on a freighter headed to Costa Rica. Your pets would probably need to be in crates but at least you could visit them regularly and a big ship like that would do the trip pretty fast. Here is one google search for a freighter cruise ( there appear to be many) https://www.arrivalguides.com/en/Tra...a/Costa%20Rica
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Costa Rica, passage