Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2017, 12:53   #1

Salrite LSX-1 Sewing Machine

Looking for Sailrite LSX-1 Sewing Machine reasonably priced.

B. Phillips
Save
Save
sfdogwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2017, 14:40   #2

Re: Salrite LSX-1 Sewing Machine

Reasonably priced https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...403868922.html
Kemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2017, 09:16   #3

Boat: Columbia 36

I just got a Rex 607Z for $329, free shipping on Amazon. Added the Cuda Crank which is like the Sailrite Monster Wheel for $115. Same basic machine as the LSZ1 but without their refinements which I don't think matter that much anyway. About 1/2 what the LSZ1 goes for. I did need to tweak the tuning a little but you'd have to do that with the Sailrite after it had some miles on it anyway. Any parts that do break can be replaced with Sailrite parts which shouldn't break again. If I were running a pro operation I'd go with a better machine, but for home hobby use this one is fine.
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2017, 10:12   #4

$253 plus free shipping. WOW! Would be so happy to get one for this price in EU

https://www.amazon.com/Rex-rx-607z-P...words=Rex+607Z

I found so many brands of visually the same machine. It seems all of them are build at the same factory just with different stickers. Maybe someone has more info about brand vs quality? Please do not mention Sailrite LSX-1, it is 1400 USD with shipping to EU from EU dealer.

FamilySew FS-288ZZ
Yamata FS288
Reliable Barracuda 200ZW
Deyee JH-83
Kayser Hobbymatic
Sew Strong RE607Z
Rex RX-607Z
SewLine 106-RP
Omega WF24LNZZ
Consew CP146R
Alphsew PW200ZZ
TechSew 611
Kemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2017, 15:46   #5

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

For anyone looking to buy the alternative machines....be cautious if you are new to this kind of machine. I am not new to sewing but all of my experience has been on computer driven sewing machines. I bought the Rex but discovered the documentation is very poor. I've been struggling with this beast all day and have yet to make a seam. The point being is that these machines might be fine if one is experienced but if your are new to mechanical machines the documentation and support from sailrite might be worth the extra money.
If you have good access to the net you might find what you need on youtube. But if you dont, like me, the hassle might not be worth it!
Old 25-01-2017, 16:00   #6

My Rex needed done tweaking too. Sewed two layers ox fabric just fine but skipped stitches wish more layers. Tuning it up was very easy and its all on Youtube, I'll let you guess who posted the videos. The Sailrite its defiantly better quality and has many of they internals remanufactured, but is the exact same design so anything Sailrite tells you our sells will work on it. Even of I have top replace ask the internal parts I'll still have a lot less in it than an authentic Ultrafeed. And I sold my 10 year old straight stitch Ultrafeed for almost $200 more than I paid for the zig zag Rex.
Old 25-01-2017, 16:19   #7

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

We purchased a Consew CP146R many years ago (they don't make this model any more) after we found out it was the exact same base machine as the LSZ-1. It didn't come with any useful documentation, but we down loaded the LSZ-1 instructions (then) and all was good. We have made all of our sail covers, awnings, storm dodgers and some interior projects with our Consew. For us it was a worthwhile purchase. Since then the LSZ-1 from Sailrite added the Posi-Pin and some other features but you still might be able to find a reasonably priced clone. The LSZ is the zig-zag model while the LSX is the straight stitch only. The walking foot is the important feature.

Here's the old clone list again for the LSZ. You might be able to find some used if they don't make them and/or more current list of machines for ZZ or straight stitch.

FamilySew FS-288ZZ
Yamata FS288
Reliable Barracuda 200ZW
Deyee JH-83
Kayser Hobbymatic
Sew Strong RE607Z
Rex RX-607Z
SewLine 106-RP
Omega WF24LNZZ
Consew CP146R
Alphasew PW200ZZ
TechSew 611

The key search terms to look for are "portable walking foot sewing machine".

Happy hunting.

Bill O.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2017, 17:00   #8

Boat: Valiant 40

The Sailrite and similar machines do have a considerable learning curve in terms of getting good stitching out of them in terms of set up and tension and so forth. I know more than one experienced seamstress who has thrown up her hands when confronted with these machines. Upside is that when properly set up they will sew logs together if asked to.

Sailrite does not offer a tremendous amount of documentation. Mine came with a DVD, and there is a PDF manual out there, although Sailrite seems to make it difficult to find, since I guess they know it's part of their value-add over the other machines.

But that said, I think they are basically the same machine and the Sailrite manual will tell you 95% of what you need to know. Really the only big plus of the Sailrite machines is the case, if you're going to keep the beast on your boat.

The other big plus is resale. They sell for what seems like 90% of their retail value. That's what prompted me to buy one; I figured when I was done with the big jobs I needed to get done I could sell it and still come out pretty much ahead. Still sewing, we'll see.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2017, 17:14   #9

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Thanks for the comments! I found a pdf for "Sailrite Yachtsman". It seems to be very comparable to the Rexsew and should help. Thank you all for leading me in the right direction!
Old 25-01-2017, 19:12   #10

Boat: CheoyLee Offshore 33
Send a message via Skype™ to masonc

Beware that there are "too good too be true" prices being offered for sailrite machines on Amazon, identified as the seller will ask for payment via gift certificates. You'll lose your money and never get the machine of course.
masonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 05:55   #11

I bought my Reliable Barracuda from Bed Bath and Beyond. With the 20% off coupon it was a great deal. So far I've been happy. Yesterday though, I had difficulty stitching along the seams of the boat surround I was fixing (well, through 2 finished edges that overlap) the clutch slipped. Does anyone know if the Cuda Crank will be enough to keep the clutch from slipping? Part of me wants to stay with the part that is made for the machine, but if it won't, then I'll buy the parts to retrofit it to use the Monster Wheel. Thanks!
mrscoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 06:06   #12

I have the Cuda Crank on my Rex. It uses either the standard clutch, which will slip even worse with the added torque, or it locks down permanently with set screws. That doesn't slip, but then you can't wind bobbins without the needle and foot operating. Not a huge problem but it does add wear and tear on the machine. For around the same money you can get the Sailrite Power Wheel and PosiPin kit. The PosiPin doesn't slip and is easily disengaged for bobbin winding. The Power Wheel is a plastic version of the Monster Wheel. Don't worry about brand names, they really are the same basic machine and all the parts are interchangeable.
Old 04-05-2017, 06:10   #13

Thanks for the response. I may go with the Monster Wheel. I've had decent luck ordering other things from Sailrite. Their videos and information online have been helpful getting to learn how to use this machine. I have 4 other sewing machines for different purposes and this one is quite different from those. It reminds me of the machines we used back in the 80s to learn how to sew in middle school.
mrscoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 08:05   #14

Hello...

can someone give me a quick up dater on sewing sails, canvas, etc...
-zig-zag what are the benefits, and is this the main sewing function on sails?
-straight stitch, what is it used for, when, etc
-walking foot, heard it mention here, it's function, etc...

should a sewing machine have both straight and zig-zag functions for best options?
if you know a link somewhere where this is discussed, you can also post it..

new at this, and needed an overview or some basic knowledge..
thx in advance..
likemike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sewing machine