Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > General Classifieds (no boats)
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2019, 08:20   #1

Boat: Corbin 39 / 41.5 LOA
Schaefer 4-wheel Traveler car Wanted

Traveler car for 1” track wanted. To replace this one in picture Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1551457124.226914.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	343.5 KB
ID:	186857
Old 01-03-2019, 18:00   #2

Boat: Tayana 37
Re: Schaefer 4-wheel Traveler car Wanted

Apart from missing an eye strap ($8) and two nuts ($3), what’s the issue with this car?
Tailwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 18:13   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailwheel View Post
Apart from missing an eye strap ($8) and two nuts ($3), what’s the issue with this car?

Have all the parts...
Notice the bulge in the stainless where shives sit..
Prevents installation of replacements. Not seen in pic on other side is split in stainless causing saltwater intrusion and corrosion causing bulge.
Bearings are shot on wheels. This is a car for staysail track exposed to ocean spray
Time to replace...
Old 02-03-2019, 07:58   #4

Boat: Tayana 37

Ah, got it, thanks. So I have had good luck finding those cars on eBay. I bought a second 1-1/4" car for my mains'l traveler so I could make it a double-car setup for $30-40.

If you don't find anything right now, just save the search, and eBay will send you an email when a suitable auction turns up.

G'luck!

Matt
Tailwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 13:49   #5

Get a hold of Capt Jim's up in Portland Maine ! If you go on craigs list Maine you will see his ads ! I'm not affiliated, just been there ! I know it's to far to drive up from Ct. but you might call, then send a pic if he'll let you, and see if he has it, then pay and ship ! It's worth a try ! Oh yeah also try Mass Marine Parts ! Guys name is Jon same as above !
mike d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 16:35   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike d. View Post
Get a hold of Capt Jim's up in Portland Maine ! If you go on craigs list Maine you will see his ads ! I'm not affiliated, just been there ! I know it's to far to drive up from Ct. but you might call, then send a pic if he'll let you, and see if he has it, then pay and ship ! It's worth a try ! Oh yeah also try Mass Marine Parts ! Guys name is Jon same as above !

Thanks for the suggestion....
Old 20-07-2019, 00:10   #7

Boat: C&C 44 (1987)

I had the exact same issue - same car, same bulging from corrosion, same staysail track.

I couldn't find the same (Schaefer) car anywhere. So, I ended up drilling the bulge and cleaning out the corrosion through the drilled hole. This allowed the stainless piece to be removed from the car and then cleaned everything and put it all back together properly greased. It was a big pain the rear.

A bit surprised Schaefer would put stainless and aluminum together like that in a marine fitting. But I guess they would be out of business if everything lasted forever......
CliffBeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2019, 19:35   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffBeer View Post
I had the exact same issue - same car, same bulging from corrosion, same staysail track.

I couldn't find the same (Schaefer) car anywhere. So, I ended up drilling the bulge and cleaning out the corrosion through the drilled hole. This allowed the stainless piece to be removed from the car and then cleaned everything and put it all back together properly greased. It was a big pain the rear.

A bit surprised Schaefer would put stainless and aluminum together like that in a marine fitting. But I guess they would be out of business if everything lasted forever......

I was able to replace the car at Captain Jim’s in Portland, Maine. [emoji2][emoji106][emoji2]

Tags
wanted, wheel