Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2023, 14:46   #1

Seatiger 555 Windlass

My veteran 555 windlass failed the first time out this spring. Instead of ratcheting back and forth the gypsy turned back and forth. I popped off the bottom cover and found the grease inside had turned to paving asphalt. In addition one of the two springs that make the ratchet work had failed. I was able to clean out the asphalt and relube, and the windlass made it through the season. However I knew I wanted to do a proper rebuild over the winter.

That's now. I found that SL is long out of business. One of their former machinists bought all the parts stock and tooling and sells the parts (for a pretty hefty price) out of Scotland.

I bought his disassembly instructions which are pretty terse, but straightforward. However, complete disassembly is required to replace the ratchet mechanism, and some pretty serious heat and womping is necessary to get the internal steel gears, keywayed onto bronze and stainless steel shafts, to budge. I got it all apart but in doing so I cracked the outer case, negating all the work.

He will sell me a new case and the other worn parts and springs, but the price tag is pretty high.

So... I wanted to inquire of anyone has retired their 555 and would like to sell it, before I invest in a new case. I know I have seen them come up for sale from time to time.

Charlie
s/v Kamaloha
1987 T37 #542
Kamaloha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2023, 08:52   #2

Re: Seatiger 555 Windlass

I have a 555 that I disassembled. I will sell parts you would need. I am located in New York.
moonmist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2023, 09:19   #3

I have a complete seatiger I just took off and I'd sell it to you but I won't be in the USA until early next year... I'm assuming that's where you are? I tried to rebuild one years ago and it was a nightmare. I also have a spares kit with it.
Old 10-11-2023, 09:33   #4
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Quote:
tried to rebuild one years ago and it was a nightmare.
I did rebuild one 25 years ago, but never got it right.
Ended up buying a brand new one around year 2000 or so, needless to say it lasted the 14 years I had the sailboat, then another 10 years with the new owners.
I also tried a similar Australian windlass, almost like a copy of the 555, but returned it, not as good.
Try Sailorman in Fort Lauderdale, they usually have one or two for sale.
Old 11-11-2023, 10:05   #5

I hear you; the guts are a potpourri of dissimilar metals. The main gears are all regular steel, which means they corrode onto their respective bronze or SS shafts, making removal a nightmare; you can't get inside to back up the gear to press on, requiring that the case be a part of the pressing, meaning the likelihood of cracking it is pretty high. In hindsight I should have ignored the owner's manual which says the only maintenance required is external lubing and washdowns. If I had flushed and replaced the grease ten years ago I would probably be fine now. OTOH, it has had twenty years of nearly daily use and been submerged in a lot of green water without any TLC so I can't really complain about the ruggedness of the design.
Kamaloha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2024, 03:50   #6

Hello moonmist, I have a seatiger 555 missing the chain gipsy, I will be happy to buy you spare parts from you.
Need the gipsy since I can't use it. I'm in Puerto Rico, so I'll pay for the shipping, either to Puerto Rico or Massachusetts, where my brother lives. Thank you very much, I wait for your response.
La Pellegrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2024, 03:54   #7

Hi kamaloha, would you still have parts or the hole windlass, I'm missing a chain gipsy in one that I own, I been trying to find the gipsy for quite a long time. The guy in Scotland, very helpful but very expensive, almost the cost of a new one. Thank you for your response.
Old 07-03-2024, 11:21   #8

Hi, thanks for looking you can call me @ 516 428 7714
Old 07-03-2024, 14:29   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhysmate View Post
I have a complete seatiger I just took off and I'd sell it to you but I won't be in the USA until early next year... I'm assuming that's where you are? I tried to rebuild one years ago and it was a nightmare. I also have a spares kit with it.
Would you sale it to me,
Old 07-03-2024, 16:30   #10

Yes. Can you call?
Old 15-03-2024, 12:52   #11

I have one on Long Island NY I would sell
newboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2024, 15:37   #12

Boat: Tayana 37

I'll buy it from you if it has a 5/16 HT gypsy and if Kamaloha doesn't want to buy it. PM me with the price and info. Thanks
Ogosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2024, 11:23   #13

Boat: Catalina 36 Mk I

We have one for sale set up for 5/16 BBB. Located in So. Cal.

Mel
s/v A Sales Call
SPSaler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wind, windlass