Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > General Classifieds (no boats)
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-01-2017, 09:07   #1

Boat: CAL 39 MkII
South Atlantic Self steering windvane

South Atlantic Model S440 self steering windvane. Great condition. Price includes all original system parts PLUS factory steering wheel capstan (a $385 add-on) for increased leverage of steering system. Pix & factory instruction manual attached.

Price is $1,500 FOB Miami, FL, USA.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	13-S440 complete parts.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	425.0 KB
ID:	139945   Click image for larger version

Name:	14-S440 closer.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	416.4 KB
ID:	139946  

Name:	15-S440 Close-up #1.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	416.3 KB
ID:	139947   Click image for larger version

Name:	16-S440 Close-up #2.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	416.0 KB
ID:	139948  

Name:	17-S440 Close-up #3.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	419.7 KB
ID:	139949  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf s440en_user_guide.pdf (306.1 KB, 99 views)
farkle48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2017, 04:17   #2

Re: South Atlantic Self steering windvane

Quote:
Originally Posted by farkle48 View Post
South Atlantic Model S440 self steering windvane. Great condition. Price includes all original system parts PLUS factory steering wheel capstan (a $385 add-on) for increased leverage of steering system. Pix & factory instruction manual attached.

Price is $1,500 FOB Miami, FL, USA.
Hello, I am interested in the windvane. It has it all? Also the wheel adapter? the price is negotiable? I live in Italy, so I should pay the shipping ..
Thank you
mucisca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2017, 09:28   #3

Hi -
YES...everything shown in the pictures is included in the price, and it is the complete assembly. You will need new 316SS mounting bolt to attach it to your transom and new 1/4"dia line to run to the steering wheel capstan. I also have a pdf version of the factory assembly and users manual that I can email once the sale is complete.

The price is NOT negotiable because of the excellent condition of this piece of gear and the fact that factory new instruments cost upwards of $2,500USD. The price is $1,500.00USD. Since you are overseas you will have to put the money in my bank acct or my Paypal acct before I ship it, and probably a deposit first before I invest the time and money in crating it. At the last moment before transferring the funds to me we will have a conversation as to how much to add for the packaging. You will have to find a way to pay the freight from your end since I cannot lay out significant sums.

Thanks, and let me know what you want to do.
Mark
Old 07-02-2017, 05:55   #4

Boat: Hans Christian 33

Hi Mark -
Did this wind vane sell? I'm upfitting our Hans Christian 33 (canoe stern) for extended cruising. I'm not completely familiar with the South Atlantic vanes but its good to know they're still in business, unlike Aries ...and the Monitor is about $5K.
Is there anything additional I should know about this unit? Anything additional I may need? Also, do you have an estimate for shipping to Wilmington, NC? Most respectfully, Rob
RobMinton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 06:45   #5

Hi - Yes South Atlantic IS still in business and thriving. If you go to the company website and to the S440 page there are many dozens of photos in their photo gallery of installations on every conceivable stern configuration. this unit came off the transom of my CAL 39 MKII. It's 39'11", so basically it's a 40 footer. It steered my ship from Europe to South FL, and it works great. My blue-water passage-making days are behind me. From now on it's the Bahamas and Caribbean, and I was just given a complete Autohelm-3000 motorized system, so I'm set.

The photos show the parts laid out after dismounting. What you'll need not included in the sale (or the photos) are: brand new 316SS mounting bolts (common dia, length tbd by your install), 4-5 lightweight small single rigging sheaves (like you'd see on a one-design racer) for running the 1/4" line from the transom unit into the cockpit and around the wheel mounted
capstan.

The pdf installation and users manual is fairly complete and part of the deal.

My shipping advice is two alternatives: 1) is for me to ship in in a crate which will need to be constructed. It's heavy and there isn't a carton that could contain it when going UPS, so there'll be crate cost of mat'l plus the wood shop time to build it plus freight, or: 2) if you have a pickup truck, van, or any other vehicle...then drive on down and pick'er up. Believe me, you'll most probably spend far less on gas than on the option (1).

Keep me posted on what you want to do. Regardless, calm seas and fair winds in your future.

Thanks, from Dinner Key Marina in Miami FL (aka Downtown Hurricane Alley)
Mark
305-281-5236
Old 22-02-2017, 03:27   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by farkle48 View Post
Hi - Yes South Atlantic IS still in business and thriving. If you go to the company website and to the S440 page there are many dozens of photos in their photo gallery of installations on every conceivable stern configuration. this unit came off the transom of my CAL 39 MKII. It's 39'11", so basically it's a 40 footer. It steered my ship from Europe to South FL, and it works great. My blue-water passage-making days are behind me. From now on it's the Bahamas and Caribbean, and I was just given a complete Autohelm-3000 motorized system, so I'm set.

The photos show the parts laid out after dismounting. What you'll need not included in the sale (or the photos) are: brand new 316SS mounting bolts (common dia, length tbd by your install), 4-5 lightweight small single rigging sheaves (like you'd see on a one-design racer) for running the 1/4" line from the transom unit into the cockpit and around the wheel mounted
capstan.

The pdf installation and users manual is fairly complete and part of the deal.

My shipping advice is two alternatives: 1) is for me to ship in in a crate which will need to be constructed. It's heavy and there isn't a carton that could contain it when going UPS, so there'll be crate cost of mat'l plus the wood shop time to build it plus freight, or: 2) if you have a pickup truck, van, or any other vehicle...then drive on down and pick'er up. Believe me, you'll most probably spend far less on gas than on the option (1).

Keep me posted on what you want to do. Regardless, calm seas and fair winds in your future.

Thanks, from Dinner Key Marina in Miami FL (aka Downtown Hurricane Alley)
Mark
305-281-5236
Let me know if you're still interested...price reduced to $1,100 + freight costs.
Old 22-02-2017, 03:47   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMinton View Post
Hi Mark -
Did this wind vane sell? I'm upfitting our Hans Christian 33 (canoe stern) for extended cruising. I'm not completely familiar with the South Atlantic vanes but its good to know they're still in business, unlike Aries ...and the Monitor is about $5K.
Is there anything additional I should know about this unit? Anything additional I may need? Also, do you have an estimate for shipping to Wilmington, NC? Most respectfully, Rob
Hi Rob - Did you get my earlier reply about a shipping crate vs getting or borrowing a p/u truck or van and driving to Miami? Believe me, that would be less that the freight. O have no place to store this thing belowdecks and keeping it on the foredeck sort of interferes with sailing so I'll reduce the price to $1,200 (+ all freight costs, or you pay your own expenses traveling to pick it up) to help out, of you're still interested.

Please let me know one way or the other so as to help manage my expectations.

Thanks,
Mark

Tags
self steering, steering, wind, windvane