Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > General Classifieds (no boats)
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2021, 15:20   #1

Boat: Custom 63'
Wink the SSB Radio You Never Use (Icom M802)

I have heard Marine HF SSB is declining in popularity these days. If you have an Icom M802 Marine HF SSB radio with DSC (M802 Single Side Band (SSB) - Features - Icom America -- it seems to be the standard one) and you never turn it on, why not get some room on your helm for something else and sell it to me?

Or perhaps you are really excited about Marine HF SSB and you want to ditch the M802 (now discontinued) for the new M803. Can you sell the old one to me?

I am just starting out in ham radio and want a used HF radio to play around with. Since it will be on my boat it would be great if it was a marine radio with DSC. However, if you have a different HF SSB radio you want to sell me please let me know. I'm still learning.

I do not need an antenna.

Sincerely and hopefully yours, KE8QOD
niftyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2021, 05:05   #2

Boat: Coast 34 Sail
Re: the SSB Radio You Never Use (Icom M802)

Good luck QOD my wife and I consider our HF radio a huge asset to our cruising lifestyle by connecting to the community. We see lots of boats with HF antennas and have never heard them on local nets so you very well may get your set. 73 KF7JLR
Tomodore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2021, 07:05   #3

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

If your intent is to operate on the ham bands, marine radios such as the 802 are not very functional nor are they as easy or as full of essential features as even a modestly prices ham radio.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2021, 07:28   #4

Boat: Catalina Morgan 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
If your intent is to operate on the ham bands, marine radios such as the 802 are not very functional nor are they as easy or as full of essential features as even a modestly prices ham radio.
That's strange...I use my M-802 on ham bands using phone and CW all the time with great success.

It certainly does not have as many "features as my Elecraft K3s, but of course it wasn't designed for contesting, or serious DX'ing.

It's another "tool" onboard. Install it well and learn to use it right and it does it's job marvelously.
Old 23-02-2021, 08:41   #5

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discovery 15797 View Post
That's strange...I use my M-802 on ham bands using phone and CW all the time with great success.

It certainly does not have as many "features as my Elecraft K3s, but of course it wasn't designed for contesting, or serious DX'ing.

It's another "tool" onboard. Install it well and learn to use it right and it does it's job marvelously.
Showing opinions vary. I had an 802 and preferred an old Icom 735 with the minimal filtering it offered as well as the more flexible VFO. Compared with contemporary ham HF radios which are also cheaper than the 803, it's no contest.The K3S I have would be over-kill on a boat.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2021, 14:15   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch

I have a GREAT deal on an SGC2000 w/SGC230 tuner; commercial grade radio and makes a pretty good ham rig also; send PM if interested; you just missed an 802; don't have any on the bench at the moment; can't imagine sailing off soundings w/o an HF radio; I have my own 802 aboard plus 4 ham rigs... 73 de WAĜLSS /MM & Marine Coast Station KCQ
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2021, 14:23   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Berg View Post
I have a GREAT deal on an SGC2000 w/SGC230 tuner; commercial grade radio and makes a pretty good ham rig also; send PM if interested; you just missed an 802; don't have any on the bench at the moment; can't imagine sailing off soundings w/o an HF radio; I have my own 802 aboard plus 4 ham rigs... 73 de WAĜLSS /MM & Marine Coast Station KCQ
As I recalled your web site stated you had a couple of old SEA 322 ‘s in various conditions or am I incorrect?
AA3JY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2021, 20:10   #8

Thanks Scott -- I'm attracted to the M802 because of the DSC monitoring so I will let the SGC pass me by.

I thought there might be an affordable M802 around that someone doesn't use. Especially as I read that it has been FCC decertified and also discontinued. But this is just speculation on my part!

If I can't find one, I'll buy a used starter ham radio but I thought I'd try this first.
Old 11-03-2021, 19:07   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by AA3JY View Post
As I recalled your web site stated you had a couple of old SEA 322 ‘s in various conditions or am I incorrect?

The SEA's are gone, the SGC2000 is on eBay. When more show up I'll post them here first as I usually do...
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 19:40   #10

Boat: Hunter 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by niftyc View Post
Thanks Scott -- I'm attracted to the M802 because of the DSC monitoring so I will let the SGC pass me by.

I thought there might be an affordable M802 around that someone doesn't use. Especially as I read that it has been FCC decertified and also discontinued. But this is just speculation on my part!

If I can't find one, I'll buy a used starter ham radio but I thought I'd try this first.
Will let you know how my suvey goes tomorrow, maybe I'll have one to sell along with an Icom tuner and a pactor modem.
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 19:42   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightlead404 View Post
Will let you know how my suvey goes tomorrow, maybe I'll have one to sell along with an Icom tuner and a pactor modem.
Old 25-03-2021, 13:58   #12

Thanks for your help, I have now obtained a used M-802.

Tags
icom, radio, ssb