Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > General Classifieds (no boats)
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-07-2021, 18:39   #46

Re: Towing Service Wanted, Abacos to Florida

Wow this is a sad situation. Sorry to hear the story. I’m with others stating to get sails on the boat and get her home. If the vessel is sailable then it can be done even without an engine. Bit tricky getting out but the rest is easy.

I personally could not trust a towing company.
JC Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2021, 18:59   #47
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

I should add.....J'ville has a yard with a travel lift just inside the inlet on the north side of St. Johns River, maybe a mile from the mouth of the inlet..ditto Cape Canaveral, but it's on the south side.

But...will repeat...best option is likely GT, where you can haul the boat and get the engine repaired.
MicHughV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2021, 08:42   #48

Boat: C&C

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
But the outboard will bring you to Great Sale Cay for further towing by TowboatUS. They will do that for free if you have thee membership.
I think your towing clause doesn't come into effect until 20 some days of membership. Better check that out first!
wannacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2021, 08:58   #49
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannacat View Post
I think your towing clause doesn't come into effect until 20 some days of membership. Better check that out first!
Of course. A matter of being a member already or careful planning

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2021, 09:19   #50

Alternatively: Buy two basic sails (you will buy them eventually anyway right?) buy a proper outboard bracket and outboard motor. (the bracket is nice when you are cruising to store your dingy outboard anyway)

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2021, 09:43   #51
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression

Quote:
Originally Posted by zstine View Post
I'm looking for someone who can tow a Tartan 4100 with a dead engine from Hope Town, Abacos, Bahamas to Florida. The Specific location in FL is not all that important as long as there is a marina that can haul out the boat. I have gotten one quote which seems high.. so looking for others. The boat is US flagged, if that means anything.

thanks
200+200=400 nm =$20000-$30000 and maybe more $
i think is cheaper by a new block engine and exchange.
what you have Westerbeke or Yanmar diesel
more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2021, 11:02   #52
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailshabby View Post
Just got towed a month ago. Discovered “unlimited towing” has a 26 mile limit, if that helps.
Must be something different then because last winter my son in law was towed from Great Isaacs back to WPB at no charge under his TowBoatUS plan. It was well over 150 nm round trip.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2021, 13:22   #53
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Must be something different then because last winter my son in law was towed from Great Isaacs back to WPB at no charge under his TowBoatUS plan. It was well over 150 nm round trip.
who pay the cost of U.S. and Bahamian commercial Customs and Immigrations.
Old 29-07-2021, 13:58   #54
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by more View Post
who pay the cost of U.S. and Bahamian commercial Customs and Immigrations.
As far as I know there was no commercial Customs and Immigration. Tow boat met son in law off Great Isaacs and did not clear into the Bahamas. Wasn't involved directly but assume the operator claimed no one landed or entered the Bahamas so no need to clear in. Since the tow never cleared into the Bahamas they didn't clear back into the US.

Family cleared in as the normally do when returning under their own power.
Old 29-07-2021, 15:27   #55
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
As far as I know there was no commercial Customs and Immigration. Tow boat met son in law off Great Isaacs and did not clear into the Bahamas. Wasn't involved directly but assume the operator claimed no one landed or entered the Bahamas so no need to clear in. Since the tow never cleared into the Bahamas they didn't clear back into the US.

Family cleared in as the normally do when returning under their own power.
i have boat can i come in Florida under 12 nm from shore,not landed on shore and towing cuban boat or selling drugs. if come cost guard i refused boarding becouse iam not step on shore.
12 nm from shore is a territorial sea of country, any commercial activity need permit to 200 nm from shore( depend on distance opposite country shore and contry
Old 29-07-2021, 15:42   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by more View Post
i have boat can i come in Florida under 12 nm from shore,not landed on shore and towing cuban boat or selling drugs. if come cost guard i refused boarding becouse iam not step on shore.
12 nm from shore is a territorial sea of country, any commercial activity need permit to 200 nm from shore( depend on distance opposite country shore and contry
To clarify, not "landing" is meaningless in terms of Bahamas (and international) law. Once you pass the 12 nm limit you are in a country's territorial seas and subject to their laws. In most countries that means you're required to clear in and if you're operating a business or earning money you need to meet their work visa requirements. So doubtful a U.S. commercial towing operation would knowing pick up a tow inside 12 nm from the Bahamas baseline in a non-emergency absent checking in or having some kind of exemption I'm not aware of.
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2021, 06:59   #57

Boat: Endeavour, CC Ketch 40ft

One of the best DIY boatyards is in St Mary’s GA, on Florida’s north border. It is called the St Mary’s Boat Works. An easy trip up ICW. I’m currently working on my boat there. Rebuilt my Perkins there. Staff provided a lot of guidance free. It is also a hurricane hole.
jlblan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2021, 07:42   #58
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckrob View Post
To clarify, not "landing" is meaningless in terms of Bahamas (and international) law. Once you pass the 12 nm limit you are in a country's territorial seas and subject to their laws. In most countries that means you're required to clear in and if you're operating a business or earning money you need to meet their work visa requirements. So doubtful a U.S. commercial towing operation would knowing pick up a tow inside 12 nm from the Bahamas baseline in a non-emergency absent checking in or having some kind of exemption I'm not aware of.
Not completely correct. There is the right of free passage through major shipping lanes that pass through a countries territorial waters. For example in the Bahamas there are the NE and NW Providence Channels that pass between New Providence and Abaco and Grand Bahama. There is a steady stream of ships and freighters through there mainly from Europe to south Florida ports. They are not required to clear into the Bahamas.
Old 31-07-2021, 07:53   #59

Boat: Wendon Skylounge 72'

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannacat View Post
I would also be wary of relying on coverage for a tow that you already know you need prior to signing up. If you are already a member no problem. If you sign up knowing that you need a tow that is, at least, a moral hazard and may be excluded from their terms of service. I know if I was running the company I would have an exclusion for a known pre-existing 'claim' situation.

Of course all these posts on this forum would not help in proving your case against a denied claim.

~A
AlanT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2021, 13:23   #60

Boat: C&C 34

TowBoat US is a franchise. They mostly show a 25 mile service area from their home port. That doesn't mean they wont go beyond 25 miles just they are not obligated to do so.

TowBoat franchise owners get paid for each tow. SeaTow owners get paid by subscribers in their area. Each can charge whatever they want to non members.

Personally I want the guy who is going to get paid to come get me and not the guy who has already been paid.
Opie91 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
abaco, florida, service, wanted