Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > General Classifieds (no boats)
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2021, 14:04   #61

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now
Re: Towing Service Wanted, Abacos to Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupaia View Post
Temporary stern bracket and an outboard motor? Just musing.
That's what I was thinking. This one will handle a 35HP motor that can weigh up to 263 pounds. I had the baby brother on my boat.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Panther-Aux...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 31-07-2021, 14:10   #62

Boat: Alberg 30

You can sign up for towboat us premium literally minutes before you need the tow.

I’m with everyone else as far as getting sails and an outboard go.

Something to give a lot of consideration to it the possibility of damage to your vessel. I personally know of two individuals whose deck were literally torn out because of the rowing pressure on the anchor cleats. Because of the way a sailboat must be towed (more like jerked along) there are substantial forces at work and that’s in calm seas. In anything over 2’ seas I wouldn’t even risk it.
SVSOLITAIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2021, 14:30   #63

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Maybe you could contact the Capt. of the Pig Iron if she is still making runs to West Palm from the Rock.?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2021, 15:47   #64

Not sure if one can sign up for BoatUS and get towed within minutes, they have a 'pre-existing clause' and a 30-day waiting period for some tows.

"BoatUS Towing Services does not provide for pre-existing conditions or tows from a home dock or mooring in the first 30 days of Membership."

scherzoja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2021, 17:48   #65

Boat: Alberg 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by scherzoja View Post
Not sure if one can sign up for BoatUS and get towed within minutes, they have a 'pre-existing clause' and a 30-day waiting period for some tows.

"BoatUS Towing Services does not provide for pre-existing conditions or tows from a home dock or mooring in the first 30 days of Membership."

My fault, it may have just been my lucky day with the agent or the tow company but I started my membership literally as the tow was being orchestrated. Now that may not have cared because it was less than a mile. Not trying to pass bad gas as it were. I’m sure they would probably be a little more by the books with a tow of this nature.
SVSOLITAIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 06:58   #66

Did you just buy the boat in Abaco? I presume the mast is down after Dorian. Was the engine flooded? I'm curious to know the backstory of a nice T-4100 with dead engine and no sails or rigging in Abaco. I was there one month after Dorian, looking at my old boat that barely survived in Green Turtle Cay (Abaco Yacht Services). It was pure carnage there. Only about 5% of the boats stayed standing, and half of those lost their rig. The others fell over collapsed stands that punctured holes in the hulls. Multihulls were flipped on top of others. Really nice boats were totaled.
oscarkramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 07:15   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarkramer View Post
Did you just buy the boat in Abaco? I presume the mast is down after Dorian. Was the engine flooded? I'm curious to know the backstory of a nice T-4100 with dead engine and no sails or rigging in Abaco. I was there one month after Dorian, looking at my old boat that barely survived in Green Turtle Cay (Abaco Yacht Services). It was pure carnage there. Only about 5% of the boats stayed standing, and half of those lost their rig. The others fell over collapsed stands that punctured holes in the hulls. Multihulls were flipped on top of others. Really nice boats were totaled.
As Owner states in Post #39:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zstine View Post
All I need is a haul out to drop it on a truck to New Jersey. So just about any marina that can pull the boat can do that.

The boat has been unattended in Abaco for a while and was looted. All running rigging and sails, a winch, the dorade scoops, instrument cluster... all taken.

Engine was flooded with seawater. It needs to be pulled and rebuilt. That is not going to happen in the Abacos. They are pretty hard up.
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 08:05   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
Is there any reason it can't be sailed to within TowBoatUS range?

Thought their range was like 250 mi. No?
billdomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 08:09   #69

I’ve done this more than once & it’s a cheap but very effective way to solve your problem. Preferably, you’ll need two people, but I’ve done it solo.

I’ve lashed an inflatable dinghy to the hull of my 41’ sloop, Run a line from your bow to dinghy bow, and another from dinghy stern to sailboat stern. You can always add addition lines to snug the dinghy up if desired. The dinghy should be positioned about midship.

When leaving or approaching the dock, have someone climb down into the dinghy to control the outboard throttle. . Otherwise, when in open water, duck tape the throttle to wide open position. Then have the person climb back on board your sailboat.

Obviously, bring plenty of spare gas jugs.

You’ll be amazed about how well this works.

Fair winds (and waves)!
2hulls4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 08:12   #70

Boat: Hunter 33.5

I would suggest you contact two sailing clubs in the Ft.Lauderdale area and see if they can help you. I know from past experience that they have members who are frequently in the Marsh Harbor area.

Suggest you contact the Hillsborough Inlet Sailing Club and also the Gulfstream Sailing Club.

Good luck.................
tdh1849 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 08:24   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2hulls4me View Post
I’ve done this more than once & it’s a cheap but very effective way to solve your problem. Preferably, you’ll need two people, but I’ve done it solo.

I’ve lashed an inflatable dinghy to the hull of my 41’ sloop, Run a line from your bow to dinghy bow, and another from dinghy stern to sailboat stern. You can always add addition lines to snug the dinghy up if desired. The dinghy should be positioned about midship.

When leaving or approaching the dock, have someone climb down into the dinghy to control the outboard throttle. . Otherwise, when in open water, duck tape the throttle to wide open position. Then have the person climb back on board your sailboat.

Obviously, bring plenty of spare gas jugs.

You’ll be amazed about how well this works.

Fair winds (and waves)!
This is called a "hip tow" and might be a super strategy.

Employed it myself in June when two very helpful fellow sailors came to our rescue when fuel contamination caused a sudden engine stop not too far off the dock.

That said, it WAS a relatively short distance. I wonder how effective a hip tow would be over a long Gulf Stream crossing - as well as the appropriate weather window.

As an earlier poster suggested, it would DEFinitely need to be in a flat calm...

LW77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 08:43   #72

Boat: Beneteau 381

If I were in your situation, I would call Roland at “DaValley” restaurant at Foxtown and discuss hiring a local crew with him

A couple years ago he was invaluable with a friend and a similar issue.

I could tell you more, but I think you can phone him and discuss possibilities. He was very stand up in his dealings with my friend

242 365 2046

Cheers

Good luck
Rocinante33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 10:02   #73

A repower over there is probably the most budget friendly when considering tow, transport cost and hassles to get to fl. You are replacing it anyway. Might be worth checking to see if they have recovered enough from the hurricane to do it. Boat Harbor?

You may try looking up Capt Mark G. on Lubbers Qtr for ideas too.

Clamping an ob on the transom sounds good in theory but reality is different on big monohull sailboats.
BBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 11:31   #74

Boat: Florida Coaster 42’

Tow Boat US in Fort Lauderdale goes to Abacoes
timb7734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 12:20   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
This is called a "hip tow" and might be a super strategy.

Employed it myself in June when two very helpful fellow sailors came to our rescue when fuel contamination caused a sudden engine stop not too far off the dock.

That said, it WAS a relatively short distance. I wonder how effective a hip tow would be over a long Gulf Stream crossing - as well as the appropriate weather window.

As an earlier poster suggested, it would DEFinitely need to be in a flat calm...

LW77
Yeah, as someone who used to have to rescue people who were doing stupid stuff like this in order to save a buck...no. Great idea for your situation, maybe up to a couple miles in calm water. Across the gulf stream in open ocean? Horrible idea and I would hope the OP would think about the lives they put at risk coming to rescue him before deciding on such a foolish endeavor. There are plenty of resources to do what they need done right in Green Turtle as half a dozen people here have mentioned It's baffling why the OP continues to insist on doing it the harder, riskier, and more expensive way?
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
abaco, florida, service, wanted