Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > General Classifieds (no boats)
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2021, 17:25   #76

Re: Towing Service Wanted, Abacos to Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckrob View Post
As someone who used to have to rescue people doing stupid stuff like this in order to save a buck...no. Great idea for maybe up to a couple miles in calm water - but across the gulf stream in open ocean? Horrible idea.

I would hope the OP would think about the lives he puts at risk [potentially] coming to rescue him before deciding on such a foolish endeavor.
Thanks for your definitive response, Rob. As I've only ever conducted hip tows myself over short distances (and recently on the receiving end of a short hip tow just off the dock), I was wondering myself about crossing the Gulf Stream employing a hip tow. It sure did sound good in theory!
Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckrob View Post
There are plenty of resources to do what the OP needs done, right in Green Turtle, as half a dozen people here have mentioned.

It's baffling why the OP continues to insist on doing it the harder, riskier, and more expensive way?
Just to clarify, Rob. The OP hasn't insisted on anything. He has solicited ideas from us and is following up on the useful ones as he sees fit.

Remember, it's his boat and the circumstances are unique to him. If my boat had been looted in such a fashion after being forced-abandoned because of bloody Covid, I think I would want to get her home the best way possible and as soon as I could, rather than leave such a beautiful Tartan 4100 in a country which has allowed her to be stripped and profoundly damaged as she has been - regardless of the services available in Green Turtle Cay and Abacos Yacht Services.

It's just despicable what has been done to that boat!
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 04:59   #77

Boat: J-Boats, J-27

I would start by hunting around the Abacos for some used sails. There must be something you can use, even if it does not seat into the track on the tartan 41. Tie it up with line if you have to. And pick up a small 8 hp motor and rig it up off the Stern. But the comment about how much gas you will need is correct… If you go by power the whole way with a small engine or a tow.
For the final price you may pay to tow it, you may be able to replace the engine in the Abacos!
JMaav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 07:44   #78

I have a message out to a friend who has a cottage on Lubbers. He just returned from there last week and keeps 2 boats in storage at I think Boat Harbor or marina nearby on the east side of Great Abaco...which is only 2-3 miles from Hope Town. I asked if they are up and running enough to do a repower. Will let you know.

Typing one handed while best arm is in sling!
BBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 08:38   #79

New outboard and bracket, and you have something when you are done other than a receipt for towing:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Publication6.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	419.0 KB
ID:	243298  

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 10:44   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBill View Post
I have a message out to a friend who has a cottage on Lubbers. He just returned from there last week and keeps 2 boats in storage at I think Boat Harbor or marina nearby on the east side of Great Abaco...which is only 2-3 miles from Hope Town. I asked if they are up and running enough to do a repower. Will let you know.

Typing one handed while best arm is in sling!
update...edwins boat yard on manowar does the big boat engine stuff. there are no engines available inboard or outboard anywhere. they can install if you ship parts or engines over. marinas are still hurting. boat harbor is a resort. no duty on the parts/engine if it was storm related damage.
BBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
abaco, florida, service, wanted