Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-03-2023, 12:26   #61
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Re: VW Pathfinder marine diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
It's my understanding that is the marinized version of the engine in the VW Rabbit and Golf. What year is the engine? I had one in a 1981 Rabbit where the car rusted around the engine.

I got lucky once, ran it out of fuel, refilled and was able to restart it without bleeding it. I'm not saying that is a feature, but it surprised the hell out of me. I've never heard of a self-bleeding diesel (not saying that that is what it was).
My westerbeke 10-two is also self bleeding as are many westerbeke marinized units .
Old 22-03-2023, 12:19   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbehm View Post
New to forum, just reading this thread. I have a question I hope you can help. I currently have a marinized pathfinder 1.5L. May need to replace with a 1.6 due to parts availability of the 1.5. The 1.5 has a Bowman VW150 heat exchanger on it. Would that work on at 1.6L?
I have a 1.5L VW Pathfinder in good condition, mounted on a pallet and ready for shipment. We replaced it this winter because of a failed Hurth transmission. I would like it to find a new home. Perhaps you'd be interested in purchasing it for parts for your engine?
CaptainLen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2023, 14:26   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainLen View Post
I have a 1.5L VW Pathfinder in good condition, mounted on a pallet and ready for shipment. We replaced it this winter because of a failed Hurth transmission. I would like it to find a new home. Perhaps you'd be interested in purchasing it for parts for your engine?
Where and how much??
osprey877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2023, 17:29   #64

Let's take this off the forum to discuss price and location details if you don't mind. My email is thibodeaulen29@gmail.com
Thanks,
Len
CaptainLen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 22:12   #65

Boat: Islander Freeport 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbehm View Post
New to forum, just reading this thread. I have a question I hope you can help. I currently have a marinized pathfinder 1.5L. May need to replace with a 1.6 due to parts availability of the 1.5. The 1.5 has a Bowman VW150 heat exchanger on it. Would that work on at 1.6L?
I replaced the head gasket on my 1.5 Pathfinder, and I found everything I needed at VW parts houses that deal in more vintage VW engines. I also replaced the old ejectors with Bosh rebuilt ones, replaced the old water pump, changed all the belts and tensioning pulley. I timed it, and it fired up first time. The only part that would have been harder to get would have been the heat exchanger. One thing I found out changing the head gasket, is I had to pull the head with the air intake, and the heat exchanger as a unit, then I could disassemble them to put new gaskets on. It is really hard to get to the bolts on those items when working on this engine from above, so pulling them as a unit was the best way to deal with it. I made up hoist to lift and lower the unit, and it worked great.
JiffyLube is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, marine