Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2016, 09:56   #1

Boat: Gulf 32
Wind Generator

Would you like a Four-Winds generator or have one to sell give me a message. Four-Winds has gone out of business, but I have not. I bought my first Four-Winds generator in 1988, it is still working fine. This a wind gen that you can take care of yourself and will out perform those wimpy little 3 blade jobs that cost way to much...

Pricing starts at $750.00 as with anything there are options, I am now using BLUE Sky for my panels and Wind Gen. I currently have parts to build 4 units, no cheapo parts.
Capt Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 07:24   #2

Boat: Pacific Seacraft Crealock 34
Re: Wind Generator

I have a Four Winds II wind generator that came with the Crealock 34 sailboat that I bought in 2015. So far I have not used it. But I am planning a long voyage starting in 2017, and I'd like to get it working. The seller represented it as working and everything looks good visually. But it is set up for standard lead acid battery charging, and I will be using AGMs. The literature that came with the unit says that originally the unit could be purchased set up for either standard batteries or AGMs. I have opened the controller case hoping that there might be a switch in there to convert from standard to AGM charging. But to my surprise the ONLY electronics in there are two 50 amp Schottky diodes (1N6098s). ALL the rest are just switches and a 0-16 volt DC voltmeter and 0-25 amp DC ammeter. I know just a little about electronics and I don't understand how those diodes act as voltage regulators, and I certainly don't know how to make this work with AGMs. Plus I intend to install solar panels too, and the boat has a 100 amp Balmar alternator. I am concerned about having all three units "play nice together" if they were all outputting at one time into a discharged house/starting battery system. Any advice? Do you have a controller set for AGMs?
BoatBumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 07:51   #3

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: Wind Generator

Boatbum, you've hijacked a "wanted" ad. I suggest you repost as a new thread in the proper forum section.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, wind, wind generator