Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2019, 08:47   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
Re: Canada legalizes marijuana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Neill View Post
Canada is a step ahead of the US in this regard. Their immigration laws are commendable as well.
You may want to google (Canada irregular immigrants hotels). Our politically correct government calls them "irregulars" rather than "illegals" and we are spending hundreds of millions putting them up in hotels. Most of them are claiming asylum from the US. They get better healthcare than citizens .... eye care, eye glasses, dental and prescriptions which citizens don't get. We are starting to see a push back on immigration here too.
Old 10-01-2019, 08:52   #17
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
Heavy enforcement at first.

Then it will die down to a new norm. Most of it will be left up to the LEO; some will dump the pot and let it go at a warning, and some will go bananas and make an issue of it.

The Indian nation that is on both sides of the St. Lawrence is probably trying to figure out what to do- either their smuggling ops are now done, or they will seize the opportunity of massively increased supply but at greater risk on the distribution side.

We will see more Americans in the St. Lawrence with pot. After all, they cross the border at will with no care about laws.
Just reading on CBC that Stats Can says legal pot is 30 - 40% more expensive than illegal. The indians will make out just fine.

I know quite a few people who toke but I've yet to meet anyone who buys the legal stuff.
Old 10-01-2019, 08:57   #18
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
So far, legalization in Canada has been a big meh, as far as I can tell. I smell it a bit more often downtown... and that's it. No massive uptick in DUIs, no hospital ERs choked with freaked-out first-timers, no hordes of dope tourists.
I don't object to people toking, none of my business however my slip is about 75' from a point of land that is a favourite among tokers. I seriously object to having to close my hatches when the stench of burning roadkill skunk invades my boat. I also have a dock neighbour whose stench invades my boat .... one day we are going to have words.
Old 11-01-2019, 07:26   #19

Boat: 1985 Canadian Sailcraft CS30

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
I don't object to people toking, none of my business however my slip is about 75' from a point of land that is a favourite among tokers. I seriously object to having to close my hatches when the stench of burning roadkill skunk invades my boat. I also have a dock neighbour whose stench invades my boat .... one day we are going to have words.
Totally agree with you. This is where some of our conversations go when discussing the pot issue. Why should my right to enjoy my boat and slip be disturbed by someone else?
mottseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 08:23   #20

I think they have only made it legal for political reasons .
People charged with possession are disproportionately of colour, and the criminal charge does in your future employment potential.
I have friends that were caught with $5 worth of weed at 19 years old, went to court and plead guilty, were given a conviction, and 20 years later they can’t go to America & can’t get a job that does a background check.
I’ve seen this many times...
So now it is legal, if you get caught smoking it on the street you’ll get a fine and on ya’ go.
I have a neighbor who’s kid now smokes with impunity all day outside their house. I get great whiffs of good weed and terrible curry while relaxing in my hot tub!
blakeonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 08:42   #21

I will also comment that I am against the legalization as I see it being “OKAY “ now to smoke blatantly everywhere.
Anyone commenting on the smell is for sure asking for a punking as the government themselves say it is fine...blahh,
Blahh.....
I suppose it’s a matter of you believing you have a right to complain about the smell. But where do you draw the line.
I have purchased legal pot from several sites. Ganjagram.ca and iriemedz on instagram.
I’m heavily invested in weed stocks and reduced my position down to only HEXO at this point.
Buying online is preferred as I don’t need to do any shady behaviour. It’s delivered discreetly, I know what I’m getting, it’s just an easier experience and I’m not a stoner so I plan ahead.
I will tell you that CBD oil drops are amazing for my lower back pain when it comes up. I hate meds and this for some reason just makes my back pain go away with zero drug effects.
Old 11-01-2019, 08:45   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
So far, legalization in Canada has been a big meh, as far as I can tell. I smell it a bit more often downtown... and that's it. No massive uptick in DUIs, no hospital ERs choked with freaked-out first-timers, no hordes of dope tourists.
I’ll bet that most of the people who really wanted to smoke marihuana,were already doing it, regardless of the laws. Drug use is generally like that.
Old 11-01-2019, 08:50   #23

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
This goes for any smoking for me. I have no problem with people smoking tobacco or cannabis, but I don’t want it inside my boat.

Personally, I prefer the smell of cannabis compared to tobacco, but neither are welcome down below on my boat.
Old 11-01-2019, 08:50   #24

100% likely
However, I’ll ask you to imagine my 77 year old parents out for drinks and someone says,” hey I’ve got a joint now that it’s legal!”
So they try and recapture their youth and light up. It turns into a bad trip, (am I having a heart attack?)someone call 911!!!
I’ve experienced this 4 times in the last few months....
(Not with the folks) consistently people that used to smoke decades ago.
So I believe it makes it more acceptable to try and some of this weed will Knock you on your ass.
Old 11-01-2019, 08:55   #25

I hate animals but there is little I can do about cats roaming and dogs barking near my house.
Same with the smoke, there is nothing anyone can do at this point I’ll bet. Unless the marina can become smoke free....
Old 11-01-2019, 08:58   #26
Marine Service Provider

Statistics Canada survey suggest cannabis useage has increased with new tokers since legalisation. Is this what our snowboard instructor/part time drama teacher had in mind ?
Old 11-01-2019, 09:01   #27

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakeonline View Post
I hate animals but there is little I can do about cats roaming and dogs barking near my house.
Same with the smoke, there is nothing anyone can do at this point I’ll bet. Unless the marina can become smoke free....
It’s like other people’s noise; if you live with other people, you have to put up with some level. But it’s not unreasonable to ask others to keep it down when the noise level starts to seriously impinge on your own life.

So too with smoke (all smoke); if it starts to seriously impact your own space, then I kindly would ask the smokers or tokers to move on. Most people are reasonable … some are not. My general experience is that drunks are harder to deal with than stoners.
Old 11-01-2019, 09:27   #28

True say!
Yeah, also I’m forgetting that anyone on a boat is likely not a complete degenerate.
It’s different with houses when I’m approaching a renter with a landlord that just wants rent.
I buy and maintain my house so a family of 4 with 2 cars on the road at all time can let the dog bark while getting high and enjoy viewing my garden and Japanese Maples! Haha
Old 11-01-2019, 10:15   #29

Boat: Leopard 39
Thumbs up Re: Canada legalizes marijuana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
It’s like other people’s noise; if you live with other people, you have to put up with some level. But it’s not unreasonable to ask others to keep it down when the noise level starts to seriously impinge on your own life.

So too with smoke (all smoke); if it starts to seriously impact your own space, then I kindly would ask the smokers or tokers to move on. Most people are reasonable … some are not. My general experience is that drunks are harder to deal with than stoners.
True that, Mike. Drunks are harder to deal with than stoners. Drunks are sometimes angry before you even approach them .
danielamartindm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 11:52   #30

Boat: 1969 30 Mariner Sedan Cruiser

My son, a cop in the Victoria BC area said not much would change as half the population in Victoria smoked before and its about the same now. The big issue expected, based on police experience in Oregon with traffic fatalities for the first three months of introduction of legalized pot jumping substantially, but after three months the fatalities returned to the normal rate for that state.

The news making the rounds in Canadian media was not to admit to any grass use at any time in your life at the border. So if some one smoked in the 70's, but had quit, it was wise to not admit it. When at the border, the only answer to give is - No, I never smoked marijuana ever in my life. Now I can guarantee you, most of the American border guards have most likely smoked. I won't comment on my personal experience with Chicago police (while on duty) in the 70's. So if American police have smoked pot, and they have, then some are still doing it now; hence my comment on Border Guards, those poor unpaid guys and gals, with the government shut down.

The other issue with Canadians at the border, particularly BC sharing the border with Washington, this making the news since legalization in Washington. You are not to say you are going to Washington state to smoke a few joints. Why? Well the border is administered Federally and so it is still illegal federally to smoke pot, so BC folks have been blocked admission into Washington when they stated their reasons to visit.

So wrap your heads around this. Imagine a cop party in Canada, a few beers, a few hard drinks, a few joints - all legal. I'm just throwing this out there for Americans who were and are paranoid about being busted by the cops because they are smoking pot.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Canada, legal