Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Great Lakes
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2015, 16:35   #1

Boat: Paceship PY-23
Canadian Sailor heading to the US, Isle Royal etc.

Now that it is -20 c outside and my sailboat is frozen on the hard, I thought it would be a good time to find out about that infernal paper war that government bureaucrats seem to love.

The Admiral and I have been sailing out of Thunder Bay and were wondering on the best way to head south (the US border is 30 minutes by road) to visit Minnesota. On that vein, Isle Royal is visible from Thunder Bay but I hear you can only visit there from US ports.

Anyone familiar with the border hassles (if any) and the proper procedures that won't get the USCG mistaking my for a baddie? Do you always have to report in to the nearest port-of-entry? How about those multi-passes? Do I need an American VHF license for my Handheld VHF?

Any gems of wisdom from those experienced would be appreciated.

capt Ed
s/v Talisman
Iimages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 16:47   #2

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'
Re: Canadian Sailor heading to the US, Isle Royal etc.

The National Park Service at Rock Harbor can clear you into Isle Royale as we use this service regularly to clear back into the US. I think you can also clear in at the Windigo end also but I am not 100% sure.

They are set up to accommodate Canadian cruisers with minimum hassle so that they can enjoy the island also.

I think this is only fitting that our Canadian neighbors enjoy this special place because it should belong to Canada geographically. However, thanks to Ben Franklin hearing rumors of copper on the island he negotiated a US Canadian boundary putting it in the US.
LakeSuperior is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 17:31   #3

Boat: Shopping...

Did that. Very very easy. At the border, I applied for a cruising license. Took about 25 min. and walked away with a 12 -month license. I can't remember the cost but was less than 30.00
Old 04-02-2015, 17:50   #4
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"Do I need an American VHF license for my Handheld VHF?"
Only if you are an American heading out.(G)

As a Canadian, you need a CANADIAN radio license to use your radio in the US. If your radio has any setting for US/vs/International channel pairs? Some of the US settings might be different from the Canadian ones, I've no idea if that's an issue these days.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 17:53   #5

Boat: Albin Vega 27'

Not sure about the handheld VHF as in I haven't read all the fine print.

But you need to have a ships station licence for the fixed VHF (and any other comms) and a ROC(M) for yourself.

Just applied for mine station licence takes a couple of weeks and about $36 dollars a year. link here: CPC-2-3-07 — Obtaining Identities in the Maritime Mobile Service - Spectrum Management and Telecommunications

Don;t forget you MMSI if you have DSC.

Happy ice sailing.
Old 04-02-2015, 17:59   #6

Boat: Shopping...

Capt Ed,

After you get your cruising license, US Custom & Border Protection wants you to call them to report a new location when you do move. They can provide you a list of CBP offices with phone number. There is also a 800 line where they will direct you to the nearest office.
Not all State have the same definition of location though. When you report a new location, ask the agent what are their specifics.

You do not need a US VHF license. If you are legal in Canada, you're good to go South!

Fair winds
Old 05-02-2015, 04:46   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Ed.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head, sail