Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Great Lakes
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2007, 07:27   #16

Boat: 1976 Oday 27' Booty Call
pirate All set to go!

Well, we're days away from our first "cruise" so-to-speak.
Spent wayyyyyyyyyyy too much money at West Marine, eBay and other sources, but the boat is pretty much set to go!

Weather should be pretty decent, but am prepared for anything. All the safety items, galley, cabin and new equipment is installed.

Again, if anyone out there see's our Oday 27, say hi! She has Forrest Green sail covers and boot-stripe.

Have a GREAT July 4th holiday!

Mark & Nancy
s/v Booty Call (new name! *hehehe* will laugh when we hear it over the VHF for the first time! )
1976 Oday 27
shellback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2007, 20:08   #17

Boat: 1976 Oday 27' Booty Call
Door County sail adventure

Well, it's been a long while since I've posted in here and I'll explain that later.

But wanted to share that we did 7 days instead of 10 due to weather. Cold fronts causing some delays and challenges, but we managed.
We left a day later due to a major series of squalls that popped up as we were 20 NM north of Green Bay, forced us to seek a safe harbor and GB (our homeport) happened to the closest safe harbor.
We left later than planned, but cruising isn't about plans, right?

Well, we left the next day. Cruised up to Sturgeon Bay, then the next nite, we stayed in Fish Creek. enjoyed their fireworks as well, and met so many nice fun boaters, boats of all kinds and sizes. Many much bigger than our pocket book! LOL

The sail up to the next harbor was rough, higher and steady winds from the SW pushed us nicely up the Door county Penninsula. We stopped in Sister Bay and had to lay over a couple days due to storm fronts coming in against some very hot, humid air.
We opted not to go around door county for safety sake. It was during our stay in Sturgeon Bay the first nite, we determined our fixed VHF, was able to receive but unable to transmit. We bought a new fixed VHF, however found out it's the coax going up the mast that probably is the faulty item. So, siding on the side of safety, I changed our plans for cruising around. The Lake Michigan side of Door County does not have alot of places to duck into in case a storm arises, and wanted to be safe.

We anchored in Nicolet Bay, nice anchorage for a state park. Several other boaters were there, including a 40' sailboat, couldn't make out the make. Then a Hylas 54' came in and dropped anchor behind us some.
Rode out a storm squall that came through, but we were very well protected. The sail down to Sturgeon Bay was nice, winds on and off again, but causing confusing seas @ 3-4'.
Stayed in Sturgeon Bay the last nite, then left the next day to sail down to Green Bay. We left first thing in the morning, raising anchor, we rounded the shelter of Nicolet Bay only to hit 3-4' waves and 25-30 knot winds steady from WSW.
Waves grew in height. Main was reefed, headsail was furled half-way. When the waves grew, we opted to lower the main completely (wife's desire) and soon , waves were getting 6-8' . Wife wasn't happy but trudging thru. Then Murphy's Law hit. the headsail jammed and wouldn't roll back up. With foulweather gear on, and life jacket, I went forward under the reluctant scared, tearful wife at the helm. Well, long story short, an 8' wave picked up our boat, launching the bow and me with it - skyward. I went at least 3' in the air, above the deck and then gravity caused me to crash back down onto the deck. Face and right shoulder/arm slamming into the bow. Immediately I was knew something was wrong. Right arm in pain, couldn't grip anything or raise my arm without pain. With one arm not working right, I couldn't correct the headsail furling problem.

I got back to the cockpit, sailed theboat the remaining hour as we got close to the Green Bay channel markers. However, again, a major storm squall system was bearing down on us. I simply encouraged my wife to go below and no matter what, to stay on the high side of the cabin. We listened to the weather reports on the VHF handheld. It didn't look good. Hail, heavy rains, reports of 50-60 mph winds. With a headsail partially out, motoring in the channel and only 6 NM north of the GB Fox River entrance, we got blasted by the storm from our starboard side. The hail/driving rain stung and the boat heeled completely over. Mast was almost level with the water and clinometer was off the chart. I fought the rudder with the good arm and did my best to keep the boat pointed into the wind, but at one point, gave up. But just like Lt. Dan from the movie Forrest Gump, I cursed and growled back at Neptune and with a healthy fight, got the boat back into the wind. The storm pushed us completely out of the shipping channel! We were in 10' of water. (the Green Bay shipping channel is 25-30' deep, but on either side, it gets as shallow as 1-2') The storm pushed us completely out of the channel in a matter of minutes. Even though she was a fast moving storm, those were some scary moments But we did manage to get back in the channel.

My wife thought ahead and called on cell phone to have friends, anyone help us dock, due the captain being injured.
ER visit later and an MRI later, determined I fractured the greater tubercle of the Humerus bone of my right arm.

Overall though the trip was fun, despite the injury and a $300 sail repair. Would I go out again...anyday!!! Been itching to get back out on the water ever since! Sooo there's the long story of our sailing trip. Hoping next one won't be as stormy, or have to contend with injuries.
shellback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 20:22   #18

Boat: Island Packet 31
Re: Circumnavigation of Door County on Lake Michigan

Wow, great read.... I realize its been a few years but any updates on your cruising activities? I'm based out of Milwaukee and have thought of eventually cruising up there.
apenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2012, 09:23   #19

Boat: Gulfstar 43 ketch

I have circumnavigated Door County many times. We sail up from Milwaukee every summer and go through the Sturgeon Bay canal. We cruise north and head back home south on the Lake Michigan side. We especially like Egg Harbor, Fish Creek, Nicolet Bay/Horseshoe island off Peninsula State Park, Rock Island north of Washington island, and Rowley's Bay on the Lake Michigan side. If you have time go over to Fayette. I would suggest joining the Great Lakes Cruising Club and you will have access to harbor reports all over the great lakes. Feel free to email me if you want more specific information.
kbudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2012, 13:24   #20

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellback View Post
HI all,

Has anyone ever done a circumnavigation of Door County penninsula, around the tip of Wisconsin?

I live in Green Bay and am the new owner of an 1976 Oday 27. I'm interested in taking the time off in 2007 to make this fun exciting cruise. So, I wanted to see, has anyone else ever done this journey and which direction would be best? Should I circumnavigate clockwise or counter clockwise?

Any tips, suggestions, experience from others would be awesome!

Mark R.

Shellback, is this an old post or are you a time traveler? If, however, your timeline is a typo I would suggest a few concerns to factor in your cruise. Lake Michigan is a fickle cruising experience with more inconsistencies than most realize. Changes in wind direction and strength happen several times during the day and are rarely those that are forecasted. Seas build quickly and are short and steeply faced unless far offshore. Seafog is common in the North and occurs night and day. There are few protected all weather anchorages and getting caught on a rocky lee shore could be fatal. Daytime temperatures are cool and cold at night. Your boat should be well prepared for heavy weather if you're caught in a blow. Aside from these concerns, northern Door County is spectacularly beautiful especially Washington Island, Rock Island, and the many isolated small islets in Green Bay. The underwater topography consists of sand, gravel, rocky bottoms and ledges and one must be vigilant in his/her navigation at all times. We have seen large boulders just beneath the surface that would be a hazard to all vessels. This is cold water sailing even during the warm Summer months and thermals, sweaters and sweat pants are a must. We frequently sail in our foul weather gear when temperatures drop and the wind blows from sea. As others have said, there is not much on the Eastern Shore of Door County other than spectacular scenery and a rocky lee shore. If I had 7 days, as you have suggested, I would start in the Sturgeon Bay Ship Channel and work slowly North along the Eastern Shore of Door County up to Washington Island, Rock Island(circumnavigate both) and slowly back to Sturgeon Bay. This would be a nice 7 day cruise in the semi-protected waters of Green Bay with a 100% chance of completion unhampered by weather. And when you're done, you can even boast you traversed the Death's Door passage. Good luck and good sailing.
rognvald is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
circumnavigation