Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Great Lakes
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2010, 14:56   #1

Crossing Canadian Waters as You Travel

We are planning returning a boat from Michigan to New York in the next few weeks. I was told that if we crossed over into canadian waters as we travel we would need to have our visa and check back into the US. Does anyone know if this is true? As far as I understood, you did not have to do anything unless you got out of your boat on Canadian soil or you anchored. If you did that, you would need to contact US customs upon your return.

Also, how is the erie canal as far as debris early May?

Any info would be appreciated.
jersey0201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 21:33   #2

As long as you do not anchor, dock, disembark or approach another vessel, you are fine.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 04:01   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
"As far as I understood, you did not have to do anything unless you got out of your boat on Canadian soil or you anchored."

Correct, just passing through is OK
gettinthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 06:53   #4

Boat: '75 Hunter 27 SD
Get yourself a Tim Hortons Roll Up the Rim to win cup, and place in an obvious location. That's way better than a passport, to make people think you're Canadian.

Other than that the advise above is good as far as I know.

My club www.SYClub.ca
Greenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 07:54   #5
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
You need to close ALL seacocks. Because if you accidentally (or on purpose!) suck up Canadian water and transport it back to the USA you are liable to a fine.

This INCLUDES Head Water, Washing up water, or even water used by the cooling system of an engine.

Its quite draconian and you should be prepared.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 08:29   #6

Boat: Custom Cutter 38
Arriving in Canada

Border services officers are at the ports of entry to ensure that people entering Canada respect Canadian laws. They are authorized to examine people and goods entering Canada to determine their admissibility. Their goal is to facilitate the entry of legitimate travellers and goods as quickly as possible.
When you enter Canada, a border services officer may ask to see your passport and a valid visa (if you are arriving from a country from which one is required). If you are a U.S. citizen, you do not need a passport to enter Canada; however, you should carry proof of your citizenship such as a birth certificate, a certificate of citizenship or naturalization or a Certificate of Indian Status, as well as a photo ID. If you are a permanent resident of the United States, you must bring your permanent resident card (i.e. green card) with you. For more information on admissibility into Canada, read the fact sheet called Managing Access to Canada.
All travellers, including U.S. citizens, are encouraged to visit the U.S. Customs and Border Protection's Web site at www.cbp.gov for information on the U.S. Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative and its traveller requirements to enter or return to the United States.

In-transit travel through Canada

If you are an American resident, you can transport goods through Canada to the United States. To simplify the clearance process, carry three copies of the list of goods you are transporting. The list should include the value of the goods and serial numbers (if applicable). You should pack consumable goods such as alcohol, tobacco and food in containers that the border services officers can tie and seal when you arrive.

Telephone reporting centres

If you arrive in Canada by general aviation aircraft (carrying no more than 15 people including crew) or by private boat, you must report to the CBSA using a telephone reporting centre (TRC) prior to your arrival, and you must land at a designated port of entry. In an emergency situation, such as under severe weather conditions, you may have to land your boat or aircraft at a place that is not designated. In this case, you have to report your circumstances to the nearest CBSA office or to the RCMP. For more information, ask for a copy of the publication called Coming to Canada by
Small Aircraft or Recreational Boat.

Private boats

If you arrive in Canada aboard a private boat, you must proceed directly to the nearest designated telephone reporting marine site. Upon arrival in Canada, the master of the boat must report to the CBSA by calling 1-888-226-7277. The master of the boat will provide details of the voyage, the passengers and their declaration. No one except the master may leave the boat until authorized to do so by the CBSA. As proof of presentation, masters will be provided with a report number for their records. Masters must provide this number to a border services officer upon request. You do not have to report to the CBSA when you leave by private boat unless you are exporting goods that need to be documented. To get a list of the designated telephone reporting marine sites, call 1-888-226-7277 before you arrive in Canada.

All these can be found on Canadian Border Services Website at bsf5082 Information for Visitors to Canada and Seasonal Residents

I strongly suggest you research and follow the law of the land, just the same as we do when we cross into the US.

Call 1-888-226-7277 if you want to ask your own questions.

And don't forget to try the Tim Horton's coffee, it is worth coming to Canada for, eh?
sailingmonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 08:34   #7

Boat: Currently boatless
We do what you are talking about all of the time in the Gulf/San Juan Islands and as long as we don't touch American soil (including anchoring) and don't come in contact with another boat in American waters (physical contact) we were told we were fine to transit.
Livia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 08:40   #8

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'
If you needed to clear customs in Canada then when returning to the US you will need a Private Vessel Decal (30 feet or more in length): $27.50 (U.S.) per calendar year.
LakeSuperior is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 09:10   #9

Please pick me up a bottle of Crown Royal while you are up there. Those Canucks can make some damn good whisky.
TexSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 09:51   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexSail View Post
Please pick me up a bottle of Crown Royal while you are up there. Those Canucks can make some damn good whisky.
And the velvet bag is great for keeping your Scrabble tiles.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 10:17   #11

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersey0201 View Post

Also, how is the erie canal as far as debris early May?

Any info would be appreciated.
Very bad, especially if there's been a lot of rain. Check the NY Canals website
they post the conditions. If the water is too high certain sections may be closed. The New York State Canal System - Erie, Champlain, Oswego and Cayuga Seneca Canals
Old 12-04-2010, 11:23   #12

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40
ditto what vasco said. I drive across the canal pretty regularly and you really really dont want to be one of the first boats in there. all kinds of crap floats around when they first fill it.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 15:19   #13

Boat: Nonsuch 30U #342 Tim Cat
Enough about the Tim's in Canada...we are in the US too. My reason for not being a full time cruiser. Then again the bag for the scrabble tiles are pretty good too. I still have yet to get my passport to dock in the US but this will be my second season and the first was not great for weather. Seems we all share the weather.
An enhanced drivers liscence can be used to enter the US from Canada...don't have that yet either.
jjones1349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 16:07   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
sailingmonica

your instructions are for LANDING in Canada. Similar rules apply for LANDING in USA.

But if you do not land or drop anchor you do not have to check in. Virtually every time I go sailing, I sail into Canadian waters from USA and then sail back into US waters. Thousands of boaters do this every weekend across the US / Ca border, including commercial vessels. I've motored along side CA CG vessels several times and they never stop me...because it's not illegal.
gettinthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 16:44   #15

Thanks, I do not plan on anchoring or landing in Canada so I am not going to worry about it. Thanks,
jersey0201 is offline   Reply With Quote