Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-04-2020, 18:28   #1

Great Lakes Charts

I am working on a new chartplotter installation. (B&G Zeus)

Does anyone have any good advice on buying charts for the chartplotter? We had Navionics on our older one, which was fine, but it looks like you are stuck buying a map that cuts out parts of Lake Michigan depending on if you are going with "North" (misses Chicago) or "East" (misses much of Wisconsin). "North" and "East" are $150, each.

CMAP has a chart that covers all of the Great Lakes, including Canadian shores, which are not in Navionics. Downside is that it is $250.

Does anyone feel one brand's maps are better for the Great Lakes?
windpipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2020, 18:50   #2

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Great Lakes Charts

I've has both Garmin and Navionics chart packages. They've always contained all the Great Lakes. The last couple I've bought covered all of Canada, and parts of the US, including all the Great Lakes.
Old 30-04-2020, 11:51   #3

Re: Great Lakes Charts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I've has both Garmin and Navionics chart packages. They've always contained all the Great Lakes. The last couple I've bought covered all of Canada, and parts of the US, including all the Great Lakes.
Thanks Mike. I have a feeling most charts would do the job just fine. The way the charts are marketed makes it very unclear what extra information one gets with the more detailed charts. As I am unlikely to have enough time to get out of Lake Michigan, I was thinking about going with the Navionics Platinum+ chart that covers just Lake MI for $200. Does anyone have experience with that chart?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Navionics.PNG
Views:	88
Size:	201.0 KB
ID:	214097  
windpipe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charts, great lakes