Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Great Lakes
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-05-2013, 14:43   #16

Boat: Beneteau 423
Shelly

North Channel is awesome lots of places to anchor or dock. Canadian yacht charters appears to have a wide range of boats. There is another charter company out of Little Current although I don't remember their name.

Some thoughts: getting to Manitoulin Island for either one can be a challenge from Colorado. Maybe fly into Toronto then drive.

There will be few crowds but also expect a wide range in the weather - as in it could get very cold.
Tonyjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2013, 08:40   #17
ssn

Thank You! Will definitely check these out.
ssn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2013, 13:53   #18

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Great Lakes-Summer SAILING not MOTORING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyjay View Post
There will be few crowds but also expect a wide range in the weather - as in it could get very cold.
Very cold? In the first week of September??? I suppose everything is relative, but September will still be quite warm ... unless winter comes very early. Highs of ~19C, lows of 8C. And the water will remain warm (assuming it heated up enough through the summer).
Old 26-05-2013, 14:43   #19

Boat: 1982 Morgan 383
I keep my boat in and sail the Apostles Islands, Lake Superior, out of Port Superior, Bayfield, WI. Superior Charters has a good selection of boats. IMHO Apostle Islands are as good as anything you can get anywhere as far as I am concerned (in the summer/fall). You just might see much of the islands in 9 days, it is almost all National Park, with hikes and trails and bear and clean clean salt free gorgeous water. When I was younger we used to drink water from the lake, I mostly believe you still can from the open water. August is great, September the winds get steady, but the air is cool, sometimes cold. While we do swim regularly, not often long, and often at the beach rather than by the boat. I've heard the Lake Huron North Channel is very like this and intend to get there and spend some time one day. The up side there I've heard is that you can swim a lot, often and for a long time, there are anchorages protected on ALL sides so you can drop a hook and hang out for extended stays (not normally a charterer's choice, however). In any case, when I return from other places on Lake Superior, I usually recognize how complete the Apostles are for weekends and short trips. I've been to Nova Scotia, Bermuda, St. Martin, and nothing beats the beauty of the Apostle Islands, though of course I am preparing my boat and my self for the trip "out".
Old 26-05-2013, 18:20   #20

Boat: Gemini 105M 34
Send a message via Yahoo to captainstubbie
I sail Lake Superior every June for 3-4 days @ a time @ least 2x per year. On the average 50% of the time is wind under 5 knots. Sailboats Inc & Superior Charters are both great places to grab a boat @ a reasonable cost. You will love all the islands. June is good, few Mosquitos & biting black flies. Go & enjoy!!!!!
Old 26-05-2013, 18:36   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolfP View Post
I keep my boat in and sail the Apostles Islands, Lake Superior, out of Port Superior, Bayfield, WI. Superior Charters has a good selection of boats. IMHO Apostle Islands are as good as anything you can get anywhere as far as I am concerned (in the summer/fall). You just might see much of the islands in 9 days, it is almost all National Park, with hikes and trails and bear and clean clean salt free gorgeous water.
Always nice to hear from a fellow Superior sailor. I agree, the Apostles are nice, and probably an excellent option for our OP, or Shelley (our second OP). I gotta say though, if you want some truly wonderful cruising, point your bow north.

The north and east shores (the Canadian shore) holds some of the most spectacular cruising opportunities anywhere. We've got amazing well-protected anchorages by the hundred. We've got dramatic vistas, and big open water. We've got the largest fresh water marine conservation area in the world. The only thing we're lacking are the crowds of other boats .

If you are into real wilderness cruising, head up to the Canadian shore of Superior. Come prepared, b/c the services are few and far between, but the anchorages are good, the exploration is endless, and the occasional times you share an anchorage with another boat will be reason to celebrate -- b/c it doesn't happen that often.
Old 26-05-2013, 18:50   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainstubbie View Post
I sail Lake Superior every June for 3-4 days @ a time @ least 2x per year. On the average 50% of the time is wind under 5 knots. Sailboats Inc & Superior Charters are both great places to grab a boat @ a reasonable cost. You will love all the islands. June is good, few Mosquitos & biting black flies. Go & enjoy!!!!!
Agreed. There is this general view that Superior is a scary body of water -- and it can be. But in the summer cruising months (May to September) you encounter far more light airs than heavy.

There's a general trend of increasing winds throughout the sailing season. May/June tends to be mostly light, but foggy. July through to mid-August is prime, with mostly 8-20 knt days, but with the occasional 30+ day just to keep you on your toes. Once we hit the turn of season in late August we get an increasing number of squally, gale days, but still the predominance is under 20 kts. My personal anecdotal observation is that we usually re-settle back into nice sailing weather through mid-september, up through October some years. Then the Fall gales settle in, and I certainly don't want to be on the Lake.
Old 27-05-2013, 18:17   #23

Boat: Beneteau 323
No shortage of wind this May, mainly from the darn Northeast. After beating into a 10-20kts northeasterly for 70 miles across the open lake as the crow flies today, the wind has finally switched. Now it is 15-30kts out of the ESE, 10 miles out of the entry.

Too bad our course is 73° from Stockton Island to Keweenaw Waterway. Forecast for the day was for 5-10 kts from the SE. I almost turned back to Stockton when met with the Northeasterly coming out of the islands.

That's the fun of Lake Superior. Forecasts are good for about two hours.
svseachange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2013, 04:35   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanedennis View Post
No shortage of wind this May, mainly from the darn Northeast. After beating into a 10-20kts northeasterly for 70 miles across the open lake as the crow flies today, the wind has finally switched. Now it is 15-30kts out of the ESE, 10 miles out of the entry.

Too bad our course is 73° from Stockton Island to Keweenaw Waterway. Forecast for the day was for 5-10 kts from the SE. I almost turned back to Stockton when met with the Northeasterly coming out of the islands.

That's the fun of Lake Superior. Forecasts are good for about two hours.
Not fun... You guys have had a hell of a hard start. Lets hope things settle down to a more normal pattern so you can make up some time.

This season really has been rather screwy. Everything seems delays by at least 6 weeks. Winter wouldn't let us go (still getting frost warnings up here).
Old 28-05-2013, 05:09   #25

Boat: Hunter 410 41'

We've been summer sailing northern Lake Michigan and the Straits of Mackinaw for 15 years and figure sailing 50% of the time is a good vacation.
The islands range from private, to parks, to great island time stops, to tourists oriented. The bays and even inland lakes bring history and local fair.
Never underestimate the changing winds in the northern lakes. We've been motor sailing to reefed in upper 20's in a half an hour! But the offshore distance gives you advantages for wind speed.

Check out the Bay Breeze Yacht Charters in Traverse City, MI.
www.bbyc.com

There is plenty to keep you busy and sailing for a couple of weeks in this area!
jnrdafoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2013, 07:47   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
This season really has been rather screwy. Everything seems delays by at least 6 weeks. Winter wouldn't let us go (still getting frost warnings up here).
We motored through about ten miles of skim ice on Friday between Knife River and the Apostles. Shows how cold the water in Lake Superior still is this year. We have had frost on deck several days in the last week.

I think a cold lake will make for great sailing conditions this year because of the temp difference between the land and lake. A little more fog too. Just stay on the boat!

After we are off this block of ice I am sending my charts to Mike to help him execute his escape plan next year!
Old 28-05-2013, 08:09   #27

Quote:
We motored through about ten miles of skim ice on Friday between Knife River and the Apostles. Shows how cold the water in Lake Superior still is this year. We have had frost on deck several days in the last week.

I think a cold lake will make for great sailing conditions this year because of the temp difference between the land and lake. A little more fog too. Just stay on the boat!
Yes, lots of good land/sea breezes this year (I hope). Last summer the Lake was bizarrely warm, so hopefully this will bring it back to it's normal frigid summer temperatures (4-5 C)

Quote:
After we are off this block of ice I am sending my charts to Mike to help him execute his escape plan next year!
This is incredibly generous and kind of you Shane. You are indeed a gentleman-sailor Fair winds to you and your shipmates.
Old 05-06-2013, 03:38   #28

Boat: Alberg 37

Well, everyone seemed to hit the highlights. We got our ASA 101 at Bay Breeze in Traverse City. They also run a charter over in Cheboygan now too, so you can hit the North Channel from the US. You should be able to fly into those via Detroit or Chicago.
bluemoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 17:54   #29

Boat: Beneteau First 47.7
Just back from a sail across the North Channel. It was a bit cool - ok, even cold.

We were the only boat anchored in South Benjamin, Bear Drop and Covered Portage. We pulled into the Killarney Mountain Lodge for fuel and a break, and we asked how many boats had been in, they replied "You guys".

Great sailing, great scenery and a fun trip.

Clearly however, summer is delayed this year.

Going back in August, and hopefully it will be warmer.
jacrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 10:38   #30

The south shore of Lake Superior from Munising to Grand Marais is an awesome cruise. Painted Rocks National Lakeshore then Grand Sable sand dunes. We have seen only one other boat - a commercial fishing boat.

This place is hard to get to, no facilities, long distances between viable harbors and weather unpredictable... but it is awesome.

Tags
sailing