Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2019, 15:07   #16

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Is 4 years on the hard a no no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
If it was properly keel blocked and balanced, winterized and covered/shrink wrapped with good ventilation, should not be a deal breaker. But pay close attention to all the through hulls and work them free before you put her in the water.
Shrink wrapped? That's a good one...….keep on dreaming
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 17:20   #17

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

I bought a boat that had been on the hard for 5 years with no attention. That was reflected in the price....as in next to nothing.

It had a gas inboard. I had to empty and clean the fuel tank, clean the carb, and minor tuneup. New batteries. The boat itself turned out to be okay, but it was a filthy mess after 5 years of neglect. I spent weeks cleaning, sanding, and painting. Fortunately, I enjoy that kind of thing...at least at that time of my life I did....not so much anymore.

Everything below was seriously filthy. Luckily the cushion covers were removable (with zippers). They took 3 or 4 trips through the washing machine, but turned out great in the end.

The sails had been safely stored but I had to replace all the running rigging.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 17:53   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Shrink wrapped? That's a good one...….keep on dreaming
My boat was like that, three years on the hard. The only issue were the sticky through hulls. The owner was a 3 boat owner at the time, VERY motivated. For him it was either get rid of her and fast or a threat of a divorce. Worked out well for all concerned.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 18:35   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
My boat was like that, three years on the hard. The only issue were the sticky through hulls. The owner was a 3 boat owner at the time, VERY motivated. For him it was either get rid of her and fast or a threat of a divorce. Worked out well for all concerned.
Met a few three-boat (+) owners who really have neglected their boats, glad you found a decent one

Good comment about the thru-hulls as well. On my boat one snapped off this winter when I went to replace the old hose good thing it was not in the water!
nelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 18:44   #20

Boat: Volkscruiser

If you purchase the yacht now could be the time to strip the antifoul back to gelcoat and apply some epoxy barrier coats. The hull is never going to be drier after 4 years on the hard.
If she has been propped well I would have no concern buying a boat that has been stored for 4 years. You might want to check the exhaust outlet for any insect/bird nests.
Thom225 your interior looks pretty good with some new paint.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 20:44   #21

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

Would tend to assume the batteries will be shot even if left connected to a charger and maintained. Otherwise depends on the envoronment. Things don't deteriorate much in cool dry conditions but do if it is warm and damp. You may want to check the condition of the wiring especially in the bilge. Is it tinned cable and has damp got in and corroded wire and switches?
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 02:46   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by odonnellryan View Post
Met a few three-boat (+) owners who really have neglected their boats, glad you found a decent one

Good comment about the thru-hulls as well. On my boat one snapped off this winter when I went to replace the old hose good thing it was not in the water!
My boat's PO kind of inherited her, long story, and she was well put away by his PO.

Also as an aside - my surveyor came to the opinion that whatever deficiencies the boat had were as a result of her being in Florida for about 5-7 years prior. And if not for that she was very well preserved in her previous 20 years in Great Lakes. Boat was 30 years old when I got her.

I'd choose 4-5 years well winterized, shrink wrapped and ventilated in Northeast over 1 year unattended on the water in Florida anytime.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 05:35   #23

Boat: Hunter 46

I put my Hunter 386 on the hard in Napa, CA for 3 years while I lived overseas. Before I put her on the hard I changed the engine oil/filter, shrink wrapped her and treated the diesel. Last June I returned, painted the bottom, replaced the house battery then splashed the boat. The diesel engine started right up!!

Even with all the surrounding agricultural dirt in the air and fire ash from the Napa fire the inside was remarkably clean (dirt and ash free). The anchor locker and boom were flushed to remove bird nests, furling mast cavity was flushed to remove spiders and dirt and exterior was given a good cleaning/polishing. Other than that the boat was in excellent condition.
sail sfbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 13:19   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

IF you buy this boat. Now is the time to have it soda blasted and barrier coated.
The hull will likely never be drier than it is now
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2019, 17:28   #25

Boat: Tanzer 8.5 #51

Mine was on the hard for 5 years. As the surveyor said, 'no wear and tear for the last 5 years'.

Diesel tank was kept full and Yanmar started no problem. With old fuel.

Squeezed one more year out of the batteries but both (house and start) were needed to start engine. Budget new batteries.

Mold. Boat was not ventilated. Your nose will tell you. If so, budget new foam. Saved the cushion covers. Carpet, throw pillows and curtains were all thrown out. Didn't want them anyway.

Boat needed a good cleaning. Budget a pressure washer.

Mast was down. Rigging was still good.

Good luck.
Old 19-04-2019, 07:57   #26

Boat: Sigma 36

It’s a boat - things will need fixing, at huge expense, wherever it was stored ��
GBR134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2019, 10:34   #27

Boat: 1983 Lancer 44' Motorsailer

My 1983 Lancer 44 was on the hard for 9 years with no harm to the hull/keel.
Old 19-04-2019, 11:46   #28

My new to us boat was on the hard for 3-4 years....had the diesel removed and refilled, impeller serviced, batteries charged, and off we went...

The bottom paint was only OK, and had lots of layers of micron 66...it literally fell off once hauled for this winter. As a bonus to having no use for several years, it was easy to take it to bare gelcoat and start over. like a new boat ;-)

edit: i see this is a great lakes thread - so no micron 66 ;-)
two-rocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
on the hard