Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-06-2013, 21:02   #1

Boat: Windrider 17
Isle Royale

Hello!

Planning to sail to isle royale July 6 or 7 Depending on weather in my Corsair F28R. Fully equipped for bugs, we will sail to mccargoe bay, meet with hiking friends then circle the island clockwise for a week.

Tips?

Also, seems like its better to splash the boat in grand portage, but would definitely be interested in whether somewhere else is better.

Thanks !!

Fin
finleyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2013, 07:58   #2

Re: Isle Royale

I'm leaving July 6, so if anybody has any good ideas, would appreciate hearing. Heading out to do shakedown cruise on lake Ozark today!

Fin
Old 28-06-2013, 08:26   #3

Boat: Rafiki 37

Hi Fin, I sail out of Thunder Bay, and have passed through Isle Royale's waters a number of times. I've never dropped the hook out there due to their prohibition on pets (we sail with our cat), but know something of the terrain.

First off, I assume you've had some Lake Superior experience? You're shortest crossing looks like at least 17+ nm of big water from Grand Portage. I don't know your boat, nor your skills, but I would be very cautions in a 28-foot boat. Watch your weather carefully. As you probably know, crap can develop very quickly on the Big Lake.

Once on the Isle you should have a great time with your boat. Lots of nooks to tuck into and explore. And with that draft, it should be a lot of fun. Again, watch the weather, and make sure you have good ground tackle.
Old 28-06-2013, 20:44   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Hi Fin, I sail out of Thunder Bay, and have passed through Isle Royale's waters a number of times. I've never dropped the hook out there due to their prohibition on pets (we sail with our cat), but know something of the terrain.

First off, I assume you've had some Lake Superior experience? You're shortest crossing looks like at least 17+ nm of big water from Grand Portage. I don't know your boat, nor your skills, but I would be very cautions in a 28-foot boat. Watch your weather carefully. As you probably know, crap can develop very quickly on the Big Lake.

Once on the Isle you should have a great time with your boat. Lots of nooks to tuck into and explore. And with that draft, it should be a lot of fun. Again, watch the weather, and make sure you have good ground tackle.
Thanks, Mike! I was hoping to hear from you. I am nervous about the 17n miles of open water. My boat is fairly well sorted out, and I have some minimal experience in the Atlantic in the Florida Keys, with fairly large waves and 30 knot winds but no experience with lake Superior. I have been reading, and I understand how quickly the thunderstorms can come up. I do not want to be caught out in a thunderstorm in the run between grand Portage and Isle Royale. I have several days set up to make sure that I can get a good weather window. No desire to tangle with a thunderstorm.

Fin
Old 29-06-2013, 06:49   #5

Sounds like you've got a good handle on things Fin. The key, as you say, is to give yourself lots of time, and lots of options.

T-storms are definitely something to watch for. Pick a good day and leave early in the morning. That way you'll avoid the daytime heating. Fast moving fronts are another issue. Waves likely won't be a problem from those things, but be careful of a any southerly winds over 15 knots. You've got a fair fetch from the south. Seas can build up to 2+meters (7+ feet) with that kind of wind.

Have fun. Who knows, we may see you out there.
Old 29-06-2013, 08:04   #6

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

Lot's of fog this time of year. A good radar reflector with large RCS would be necessary. Usually not much wind this time of year. Days in a row that are calm.

Make sure you follow all the park rules as the fines are stiff.

We were leaving at 600 AM this morning for Isle Royale for a week of diving but one of the crew had a cancelled flight last night. Leaving in about 4 hours.

The park is a beautiful place. The best harbors are on the ends and south. The north side has some long stretches without cover. Will keep an eye out for you as we will overlap for a couple days.
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2013, 10:22   #7

Boat: Shearwater 45 Staysail Schooner
We spent weeks on the islands and loved it.

Keep a keen weather eye and if hiking be sure to take some really good bug spray for the ticks and other unfriendly critters.
Park rangers are super friendly but as mentioned before get your permit and follow the regs.
Isle Royale will remain in your memories for a life time. Enjoy!
capemiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2013, 19:59   #8

Sounds great!!! I have my permit to be there. I have a few day weather window and will keep an eye out.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:19   #9

So, what's your favorite weather forecast for Superior? Grib? Intellicast, Wunderground?

Fin
Old 05-07-2013, 06:40   #10

I mostly just use the regular WX forecasts from Environment Canada (especially the MAFOR version) and American NOAA casts. If I have net access I like Passage Weather wind and wave predictions, but always view predictions out past 12 hrs as increasingly suspect. Intellicast is nice for immediate radar. I haven't tried their marine version yet.
Old 08-07-2013, 05:41   #11

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

Just returned from a solid week of diving. No one on the island. Rock Harbor was empty, Windigo was empty, most of the docks were empty. Beautiful week with no wind or wave. Dead flat calm.

Our NPS management has created a situation of no fuel at Rock Harbor. The SOP now is to contact the NPS Concessions and arrange to meet at Mott Island, a five mile run, and fuel. You must then return to Rock Harbor to pay. The hours for fuel availability are restricted.

Tie up on the south dock as the fuel hose will not reach the north dock.

The fuel barge is at Mott Island but they do not have a captain to pull it down to Rock Harbor. Best estimate is three weeks.

As an aside, I think they had all winter to plan for the two main months of park use this summer.
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2013, 13:10   #12

We had a great trip!

15 knots of wind from the north on the way across, tore 2 feet off my daggerboard on an unmarked shoal, Fog, cold weather, but tons of fun!

Caught a 43" northern Pike, a thousand cool pix and a grew a good beard. My son, who was a little leery of another trip on the boat after our Keys trip is now solidly back on board.

Best moment was surfing 3 foot swells with a tailwind at 8 knots down Amygdaloid channel, as the weather went from rain to sun... Awesome..

Thanks for the great advice, everyone!

Fin