Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-06-2008, 08:34   #31

Boat: Beneteau 36
Ronc & others :

The Western Erie basin is a nice spot to be in, since there's so many options for cruising, & being so close to the Canadian side, you can easily make it into a weekend adventure.

Also, since the wind is usually from the NE, going North & then South is usually an easy sailing trip (read...less fuel !!!).

I've marked a few spots in the Active Captain website (it's a nice resource...) & so grabbing a chart to mark them off before you head out is not a bad idea.

Here's the quick list...

PIB - Docks, Moorings, anchorage (& lotsa fun)
Kelley's - Docks, anchorage (almost as much fun as PIB)
Middle Bass - Docks, anchorage
North Bass - (very small) anchorage (mind your depth...)
Pelee Is - Docks, anchorage
Erieau - Not too bad a marina, but a long way to go for not too much to do.
Leamington - Docks (Nice Marina...) & a tiny anchorage behind the outer breakwall...mind the wind, it can shift in the night & put you into the rocks !!
Kingsville - Cedar Island Y/C docks (very small & quiet...mind the depth !!)
Colchester - Small town (quiet) Marina
Toledo Beach - Nice Marina & North Cape Y/C is quite nice too...but all the way west for not to much to do...this IS an excellent

There's more on our Beneteau association website Area Ports
Paul Ouellette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2008, 10:41   #32
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
Paul
Thanks for the info. Looking at the anchorages you mention, they aren't exactly well protected from all directions. You overnight in these places?

I've seen your notes on Act Capt. Have you marked anchorages there?

What about the harbor/special anchorage inside of Cedar Point, SE of the marina?
gettinthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2008, 17:38   #33

Thanks Paul for the info. That will get me started. I am about two weeks away from launch. I can not wait to get in a bigger body of water. I am hope for some good weather. It being July 4 week my guess is it will be a bit busy.
ronc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2008, 19:49   #34

Gettinthere :

In response to your message...

> Looking at the anchorages you mention, they aren't exactly well protected from all directions. You overnight in these places?

Well..."yes & no"...you see, all the anchorages in the area share a common trait, & that is that they can become places you need to get away from in a hurry, if the conditions become unfavorable.

Now having said that...& under the right conditions (of course...) Mary & I just love anchoring in a nice spot & enjoying our time aboard the boat.

Personally, I get such a "warm fuzzy" when I wake up in the morning, & then head up into the cockpit.

The boat is usually facing in another direction from what it was when we turned in & the knowledge that the boat has kept us safe & taken care of us as we slept is something I just can't get enough of.

Our summer is waaaaaay too short !!

> I've seen your notes on Act Capt. Have you marked anchorages there?

Yes, I'm guilty of that one....or a few actually.

> What about the harbor/special anchorage inside of Cedar Point, SE of the marina?

I've omitted the marinas along the Lake Erie south shore since these places are very well documented...it was only the anchorages that were needing to be identified & so I've done what I could.
Old 19-06-2008, 04:01   #35
Marine Service Provider

Thanks again Paul

Regarding Sandusky Bay. I wasn't referring to the marina. On my chart of Lake Erie, there is a 'harbor of refuge' just SE of the marina.
On Google Maps the satelitte view shows most of the breakwall illustrated on the chart is gone. I wonder about getting in there or anchoring anywhere on Sandusky Bay. It seems pretty protected.
Old 19-06-2008, 04:31   #36
Marine Service Provider

Forgot one...
How about anchoring in Cleveland harbor? Any good places? Any places that would appear good but are not?
Old 19-06-2008, 05:55   #37

Gettinthere :

If you attempted to anchor behind the Cleveland breakwall,...authorities would be telling you to move along in fairly short order...anchoring there would be like parking an RV on the shoulder of an interstate highway to camp for a while.

Apart from being in the way, waves from passing boats would make being there less than ideal.

As far as anchoring in Sandusky Bay...again, it would likely be possible, however, with all the marinas right there why would you ??

Dropping the pick for an afternoon lunch is one thing, but I don't think I'd be wanting to settle down for the night there...besides the boat traffic issue as above, there's all the noise from the rides at the vomitorium that I'd be wanting to get away from.

How about this...wait until you have a nice day followed by gentle winds at night that are predicted to be from the NE (which is often the direction...) & go drop the hook on the west side of Middle Bass Island.

Post Office Bay is a nice spot & we've spent the night there on several occasions...just mind your conditions !!! Check the weather on the TV, on the VHF & on a computor before you make your decision to go !!

Be sure the conditions are right...because when it is, it's a great experience.

It also complies with the sailor's motto..."Free is Good" !!!
Old 19-06-2008, 06:16   #38

Hi Paul,

Coming to visit us at SSC this year? Let me know.

You can anchor in Sandusky Bay. Often you will see folks tucked in behind Johnson Island and I am very happy to report that at $5/gallon for diesel the bay is less crowded.

Joli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Ouellette View Post
Gettinthere :

If you attempted to anchor behind the Cleveland breakwall,...authorities would be telling you to move along in fairly short order...anchoring there would be like parking an RV on the shoulder of an interstate highway to camp for a while.

Apart from being in the way, waves from passing boats would make being there less than ideal.

As far as anchoring in Sandusky Bay...again, it would likely be possible, however, with all the marinas right there why would you ??

Dropping the pick for an afternoon lunch is one thing, but I don't think I'd be wanting to settle down for the night there...besides the boat traffic issue as above, there's all the noise from the rides at the vomitorium that I'd be wanting to get away from.

How about this...wait until you have a nice day followed by gentle winds at night that are predicted to be from the NE (which is often the direction...) & go drop the hook on the west side of Middle Bass Island.

Post Office Bay is a nice spot & we've spent the night there on several occasions...just mind your conditions !!! Check the weather on the TV, on the VHF & on a computor before you make your decision to go !!

Be sure the conditions are right...because when it is, it's a great experience.

It also complies with the sailor's motto..."Free is Good" !!!
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2008, 08:15   #39

I am planning on spending the whole time on the hook. It will just keep me out of the noise and save money. I have spent a bit of time looking at google Maps so all I need to do now it tranfer then over to my chart.

Looks like there is a decent one north of Kellys Island that is somewhat protected as well as some around south bass and middle bass islands.
Old 19-06-2008, 14:24   #40

Ronc :

Kelley's North side is very nice when the wind is out of the south...

However, if it swings round to a North component (like it can at night...) it can get to be a nasty place...so be very careful about the weather.

Dropping the pick on the west side of Middle Bass, or even in front of the PIB monument is far better if the wind is from the NE.
Old 19-06-2008, 14:35   #41

Hey there Captain Joli !!!

Yes, we're certainly hoping to make it over to the SSC again this year !!!

As it happens...I'm now a bit "mercury deficiant" since it's been almost a whole year without perch from that little place in Sandusky !!

So we're hoping to correct that problem in the last week of July, or the 1st week of August.

It's quite nice to know there's a welcome dock at the end of the journey...so thanks (in advance) again for the hospitality !!!

How's the boat coming along ?? Anything new to report ??
Old 19-06-2008, 14:48   #42

Thanks Paul for the advice.

Like I said in a previous post this is the first time I will be on the lake so I am not sure what really to expect. I figured PIB would be a mad-house with all the traffic. I can live with the traffic if it is a better place to drop the hook. I starting to rethink the concept of anchoring the whole time, I might grab a dock for a first night or two and sail around a bit. Once I get a handle on the weather and the area then maybe begin to anchor out. I have the whole week no sense in getting in a hurry.

I am going to be single handing it so I am only on my time.
Old 19-06-2008, 16:53   #43

Ronc :

As I've discovered by going there over the years, getting to out PIB as early as possible is the only real secret to getting a nice spot.

Personally, I am not too keen on being at a dock there...it can just get a bit too wild (for us) when the young ones start to whoop it up.

It's much more quiet & private on a mooring ball, or at anchor in front of the monument (given reasonable conditions, for the latter...) & with the water taxi service, PIB is about as nice as it gets for a weekend aboard.

The best thing about PIB & all the other Erie Islands, is that the area is a great place to practice being a live-aboard, one weekend at a time, if your goal is to someday go cruising long term.

That's why we do it...& for about 90 days every year, it doesn't get any better that we have it right here !!

See ya at the chicken patio !!!
Old 19-06-2008, 17:02   #44

Well it looks like I will look into reserving a mooring ball then. I like that a bit better then a dock.

Long term for me is to liveaboard. Right now i have to stick around until my kids grow but once they are on their own I am heading south, or where ever the wind blows me.

Since lake Erie is rather close I have some good practice ground. Sure beats driving to florida.

Thanks Paul.
Old 19-06-2008, 19:57   #45
Marine Service Provider

Joli
How is the draft behind Johnsons Island?

So all of Cleveland harbor is that busy? It looks like a pretty big area, suprised there's nothing out of the way.

When out cruising, we prefer a mix of anchoring & marina's, mostly anchoring.