Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-01-2012, 01:43   #16

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'
I have no personal knowledge of the area but my friend google turned up a somewhat useful (although not sailing related) thread on this topic from last Spring. Hope it helps! Btw call the rock hall I bet they have answered this question before. SC

http://www.thehulltruth.com/great-la...nd-trip.html#b
sailcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 03:09   #17

Boat: MacGregor 25', Columbia 26 Classic
Re: Lake Erie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailcruiser View Post
I have no personal knowledge of the area but my friend google turned up a somewhat useful (although not sailing related) thread on this topic from last Spring. Hope it helps! Btw call the rock hall I bet they have answered this question before. SC

Cleveland Trip - The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum
Good info. Thanks.
frank_f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 10:40   #18

Boat: Albin Vega 27
E55th marina is nice. Showers were nice about 2 years ago when I was there.
Inquisitive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 11:09   #19

Boat: MacGregor 25', Columbia 26 Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquisitive View Post
E55th marina is nice. Showers were nice about 2 years ago when I was there.
Good prices too by the look of it. Active Captain, man what a site .
frank_f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2012, 10:15   #20

Boat: Island Packet 40

Frank,

Check out Lakeside Yacht Club. They have a few transient slips and it is a nice place. It is just on the east side of Burke Lakefront Airport and a short walk to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, in addition to many places downtown.

Sailcruiser,
I second the recommendation for the west end.

Cedar Point has a nice marina and you can walk to the amusement park.

Kelley's Island has a circus somewhere around the first week of August that is really pretty good. Our grandkids love it and you can stay at Portside or Seaway marinas and walk to it. There is also a putput golf thing in the "downtown" area.

On weekends Put in Bay is ok for a day trip with kids, but it gets very spring-break-like at night. Week days are usually not too bad.
CaptainBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2012, 06:47   #21

Boat: Albin Vega 27
Ever thought about a campground? Luomas campground in Ashtabula Ohio is quite nice. They let us anchor near our camping space. We got their cheapest site without water or anything and anchored near it. We used their showers and filled water jugs. Nice place. That was about two years ago. Fairly inexpensive too. I would call and ask about it if you are interested in doing that. The staff is very nice when we were there.
Inquisitive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 20:17   #22

Have sailed over 4000nm around Lake Erie since 1992, beginning with a Catalina 25 and two small sons with my wife and me. Our favorite destination was Port Dover (Cool Port Dover Sail - Captain Murph) so we sailed there at least once a summer as a family until their interest waned. Then I started sailing there with friends. It is only 43nm from Erie, PA (my home port) so you can sail or motor in a small boat covering the distance in 8 - 13 hours. This cruise does take you across the open lake so you want good weather and some open lake experience & preparation before attempting the trip. Barcelona, NY (Kelly IIIs Final Sail to Barcelona - Captain Murph), about 30nm from Erie, is a very small quiet harbor with a full size replica sailing ship (Sea Lion Project Ltd. Official Website) to visit! If you like quiet, this is the place. There is even a beach for swimming and a couple small, nice restaurants. As an instructor for the GLCC School I present a webinar on the various ports around Lake Erie and how to prepare to cruise this Great Lake. I'd be happy to share more info. You can contact me thru my website, Captain Murph.
Murphiii is offline   Reply With Quote