Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Great Lakes
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-03-2014, 09:21   #1

Boat: Rafiki 37
Lake Ontario winter haul options

I know we're still dreaming of the coming 2014 sailing season up here on the Great Lakes, but I'm in search of a home on Lake Ontario for next winter (winter of 2014/15). We are moving our boat down from Lake Superior this season (if the ice ever leaves our Lake ), so I need a new place to haul and store.

I'm looking for recommendations of good marinas and yards on the Canadian side of Lake Ontario. I'd prefer to be closer to the east end of the Lake, even up the river towards Montreal, but anywhere is fine.

We need:
  • A yard that can handle our 37 foot, full-keel, 30,000 pound (15 tons) sailboat.
  • Jackstand rental. The boat easily sits on its keel, but I need stands.
A mast crane is also useful (I may remove the stick), as is yard services, but these are not necessary. I would also prefer a yard that allows DIY, but again, that is not necessary.

Feel free to post here, or send me a private message, or even an email if you prefer: pachinamia at helplink.com
Old 26-03-2014, 09:32   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
Re: Lake Ontario winter haul options

Kingston Marina, inexpensive (compared to others in the neighbourhood). Bit of a working yard but good people and an excellent location, only a few minutes walk to groceries and downtown.

A very laid back and live'n'let live kinda place.
Old 26-03-2014, 10:09   #3

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

++ on Kingston Marina, I used it - good place and nice people. Its on the inside of the bridge, but for winter storage, is a non-issue.

If you want to stay in Toronto there is a yard (not a marina) close to downtown that I highly recommend, price is good, you can do work, can lift heavy boats (crane) - its on the ship channel at Cherry Street. PM me if you want further info.
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2014, 10:54   #4

Kingston Marina sounds good. Many thanks. I like laid back, and I'll be right at home in a working yard. That's all I know . I'll check them out.

SVTatia, I'll PM you on the Toronto option as well. I'd probably be happier in Kingston, but if the price is right I could even put up with being in Toronto .
Old 26-03-2014, 12:10   #5

Boat: Albin Vega 27'

Mike

You may want to contact Kingston Marina, AFAIK now they only allow live aboard if your still in the water. (A friend of my son has lived aboard there for the past 3 or 4 years) No live aboard on land, if that's what you wanted.
Other options in the area Collins Bay Marina, Treasure Island Marina, Portsmouth Olympic Harbour and Kingston Yacht Club. Kingston Marina and Collins Bay would probably be most economical and they both have their own crane so can lift when you want to vice a scheduled one or two day in and out. Portsmouth may have a crane too.

I know you can do all of your own work at Kingston Marina and Collins Bay, Treasure island will let you do most things as well, not sure about others.

There are also several east of here, there is one in Iroquois that has a good rep for storage.
Old 26-03-2014, 12:13   #6

Boat: 1985 Canadian Sailcraft CS30

Check out Bronte Harbour or Oakville Harbour. Both harbours are owned by the City so the haul out and storage is reasonable.
mottseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2014, 12:58   #7

Boat: 42 Passage CC
Send a message via Skype™ to Artful Dodger

The Marina in the Toronto area is CC marine on cherry street, problem is they have a weight limit as I checked last week and was told they couldn't lift my 22,000lb sailboat. So will go to Port Credit Harbour Marine as the Mason store is there, the cost will be for everything for two weeks 1232.00 taxes in.
Artful Dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2014, 19:10   #8

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artful Dodger View Post
The Marina in the Toronto area is CC marine on cherry street, problem is they have a weight limit as I checked last week and was told they couldn't lift my 22,000lb sailboat. So will go to Port Credit Harbour Marine as the Mason store is there, the cost will be for everything for two weeks 1232.00 taxes in.
C&C Marine is the "other" yard, there are two side by side. The one on the south (Uly's) has a bigger crane and handle bigger boats.
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2014, 05:54   #9

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Kingston Marina sounds good. Many thanks. I like laid back, and I'll be right at home in a working yard. That's all I know . I'll check them out.

SVTatia, I'll PM you on the Toronto option as well. I'd probably be happier in Kingston, but if the price is right I could even put up with being in Toronto .
I'm at that yard on Cherry Street with the 33 footer. Amenities are zero unless you've got 200 feet of extension cord. Me, I bring a Honda 2000.

On the other hand,the absence of easily accessed power and water means it's cheap...for Toronto. And there's a Chinese supermarket with a sit-down area for lunch a short walk away, and it's close to highways and even transit (there's a bus serving that part of the Port Lands, and various chandleries are a short drive away. Surprisingly, it seems secure...I've never had a break in nor damage. You can get hauled with your mast in, which I leave up every second year. That alone means a quicker start to the season.

The place is called Pier 35 and you ask for Uli.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2014, 07:05   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn.225 View Post
Mike

You may want to contact Kingston Marina, AFAIK now they only allow live aboard if your still in the water. (A friend of my son has lived aboard there for the past 3 or 4 years) No live aboard on land, if that's what you wanted.
Other options in the area Collins Bay Marina, Treasure Island Marina, Portsmouth Olympic Harbour and Kingston Yacht Club. Kingston Marina and Collins Bay would probably be most economical and they both have their own crane so can lift when you want to vice a scheduled one or two day in and out. Portsmouth may have a crane too.

I know you can do all of your own work at Kingston Marina and Collins Bay, Treasure island will let you do most things as well, not sure about others.

There are also several east of here, there is one in Iroquois that has a good rep for storage.
Thanks for all the great suggestions Glenn. I'll have to start contacting them. Kingston would be a good place for us to be. I have family in Ottawa, so pretty close. Love the smaller city.
Old 27-03-2014, 07:09   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mottseng View Post
Check out Bronte Harbour or Oakville Harbour. Both harbours are owned by the City so the haul out and storage is reasonable.
These also look good. I see there are lots of options. Thanks folks. Keep them coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artful Dodger View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
I'm at that yard on Cherry Street with the 33 footer. Amenities are zero unless you've got 200 feet of extension cord. Me, I bring a Honda 2000.
Thanks guys. If we want to stay in Toronto, which might the most convenient for flights, etc., then I'll definitely be giving Uli a call. I really don't mind bare-bones. It's what I'm used to, after all.
Old 27-03-2014, 07:26   #12

Boat: Northstar 8020

St. Catharine's Marina
Igotnuthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2014, 08:01   #13

Boat: C&C 30 MkII

Another good option even closer to Ottawa would be Iroquois Marine Services. They are located just east of Prescott on the west side of the Iroquois Seaway locks. They have a large travel lift and specialize in winter storage, many boats from the Gananoque area winter there. www.imsonline.on.ca
Drumroll30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2014, 08:15   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumroll30 View Post
Another good option even closer to Ottawa would be Iroquois Marine Services. They are located just east of Prescott on the west side of the Iroquois Seaway locks. They have a large travel lift and specialize in winter storage, many boats from the Gananoque area winter there.
Thanks Drumroll30. I've heard of them, and Glenn also mentioned it. Do you know anything about their prices, or quality of service? I drove by last summer (on a motorcycle trip). They looked like a good working yard.
Old 28-03-2014, 08:39   #15

If you're looking for a marina with a great restaurant and the best boaters head on the St Lawrence River, look into The Ivy Lea Club.
1000 islands is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lake ontario, ontario