Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Great Lakes
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2021, 14:34   #16

Boat: Southwind 21 et al.
Re: Lake Superior Best Practices Advice

The CGA inspection sounds like a good first step.

I would call the park too, to get the word straight from the source.

https://www.glcclub.com/gray-water-regulations

"For example, some US National Parks have grey water restrictions, most notably including Isle Royale on Lake Superior. There are also restrictions in the immediate shoreline waters surrounding the Apostle Islands National Lakeshore (not in the lake waters between the islands, however)."

https://www.nps.gov/apis/contacts.htm

Contact Info for Apostle Islands National Lakeshore, Wisconsin
Old 12-04-2021, 15:36   #17

Boat: Jeanneau SO 34.2 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
"For example, some US National Parks have grey water restrictions, most notably including Isle Royale on Lake Superior. There are also restrictions in the immediate shoreline waters surrounding the Apostle Islands National Lakeshore (not in the lake waters between the islands, however)."
Hadn't heard of either of those, but it makes sense that it would be enforced for egregious situations. We were at Isle Royale for several days late last season and greywater special regs are not mentioned in the park boating guide, on the permit, nor by the ranger. The ranger did bring up the no motor rule for the inland streams, which is in the guide https://www.nps.gov/isro/planyourvis...ting-guide.htm.
steffan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 19:00   #18

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
I cruised out of Thunder Bay for a decade. The local cruisers has a nickname for Isle Royale; they called it Isle Rules. It's why I never bothered to anchor in her waters ... too many rules.

I sailed all the Canadian Great Lakes waters for close to two decades. I was stopped by the water cops exactly twice. The first was when anchored near Thunder Bay. The Coast Guard crew came over to check that we had the requisite number of life jackets. That's it. No boarding. No other questions. The second time was a joint CBSA/RCMP check. They zoomed over and -- asked about my windvane. Turns out the commanding officer was a sailor and wanted to fit one on his boat. He was just curious.

I've never even heard of someone being stopped or questioned about holding tanks, be they black or grey. But most of my time has been spent on the Canadian side of the border. We don't seem to have the same level of police presence that you folks do south of the border.
Old 12-04-2021, 22:32   #19

Boat: Allied Seawind 30

I spent some years on parasol boats on the east coast and fishing with buddies. I had maybe 6 encounters with the Coasties. All of them were pleasant. They came aboard and checked out the proper stuff, chatted a bit, and they were on their way.

Hopefully, Canada will be open for cruising soon. It seems like there is.more to see up there.
_LifeInTheWild_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2021, 05:57   #20

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I've never even heard of someone being stopped or questioned about holding tanks, be they black or grey. But most of my time has been spent on the Canadian side of the border. We don't seem to have the same level of police presence that you folks do south of the border.

So far I've yet to get bothered on the US side of Lake Ontario. But I've also yet to stumble across the USCG or local police outside of my home area. And around Rochester, they're usually pretty busy keeping an eye on the endless idiots on jetskis, in small boats, etc. and often don't have much time to bother the ones that appear to have their stuff together.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2021, 06:10   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
So far I've yet to get bothered on the US side of Lake Ontario. But I've also yet to stumble across the USCG or local police outside of my home area. And around Rochester, they're usually pretty busy keeping an eye on the endless idiots on jetskis, in small boats, etc. and often don't have much time to bother the ones that appear to have their stuff together.
Very true. I recall being in an anchorage with maybe a hundred other boats watching an airshow. We were descended upon by a bunch of water police from a few agencies (they obviously had prepared for this event), and I watched them fan out and move from boat to boat, seemingly checking for safety equipment, but obviously doing sobriety checks as well.

I did the inward groan and prepared to be boarded. It's no big deal, but is a PITA. But the all the police boats just passed us by. I then noticed they were ignoring all the cruiser-level boats, especially the sailboats. Seems we were not their concern, even though we were sitting on deck, beers in hand, and not even wearing lifejackets.
Old 13-04-2021, 07:47   #22

Boat: CS 36 Canadian Sailcraft

Been boarded once by Grand Marais, MN Coast Guard in Lake superior and they were very courteous and only recommendation was to have placard‘s somewhere stating no overboard discharge of oil or refuse. They said you could make your own on a piece of paper and post it somewhere. Numerous Isle Royal trips and only requirement other than basic safety gear is registering that you will be arriving and when you will be departing. No mention of gray water issue by them. No dogs allowed, and no pump outs last summer available due to COVID.
Fuel unavailable at Rossport on N shore of Canada so long stretches without facilities.
Bill Youmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2021, 08:05   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Youmans View Post
Fuel unavailable at Rossport on N shore of Canada so long stretches without facilities.
This is an important point for travellers coming north. Fuel docks are few and far between. Rossport used to have fuel. Not anymore. I think they still have pump outs, water and electrical service at their village dock (15 amp).

Between Thunder Bay on the west side, and Sault Ste. Marie on the east I think the only place to get gas/diesel at the dock is in Red Rock and Nipigon. Wawa (Buck's Marina) also used to have fuel, but were also shut down by over-zealous regulations. Last time I talked to Brad Buck he said you can arrange to have fuel brought down to your boat at his marina, but he can't do it.

Same goes for pump out services; few and far between on the Canadian north/east shores. Thunder Bay, then Red Rock/Nipigon, Rossport, Wawa, Sault Ste. Marie.
Old 13-04-2021, 09:07   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by _LifeInTheWild_ View Post
My main concern was the gray water. Not just the legal aspect, but the ecological as well. I always try to do my part to keep the eco systems I encounter clean and healthy.

Unless you are dumping toxic waste down the sink, don't worry so much.

No one is stopping the bears from pooping and it washes into the lake.

Gray water in small amounts is pretty darn harmless. Even black water is harmless in small quantities in remote areas but that won't get you out of the ticket if you are caught.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2021, 13:08   #25

Boat: CS 36 Canadian Sailcraft

Thanks for the added info Mike O'Reilly on fuel resources on N Shore of Superior.
Hell of a beautiful clean Lake.!!!
Bill Youmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2021, 13:55   #26

Boat: 26' Mono w/ trolling motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Very true. I recall being in an anchorage with maybe a hundred other boats watching an airshow. We were descended upon by a bunch of water police from a few agencies (they obviously had prepared for this event), and I watched them fan out and move from boat to boat, seemingly checking for safety equipment, but obviously doing sobriety checks as well.

I did the inward groan and prepared to be boarded. It's no big deal, but is a PITA. But the all the police boats just passed us by. I then noticed they were ignoring all the cruiser-level boats, especially the sailboats. Seems we were not their concern, even though we were sitting on deck, beers in hand, and not even wearing lifejackets.
I had the same thing happen last summer on a busy night on lake Minnetonka. The boat police (DNR) stopped and inspected every boat that passed through except for the sailboats. They impounded several boats in the time we passed through we just waved and smiled
montyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2021, 13:58   #27

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by montyp View Post
I had the same thing happen last summer on a busy night on lake Minnetonka. The boat police (DNR) stopped and inspected every boat that passed through except for the sailboats. They impounded several boats in the time we passed through we just waved and smiled

Around here, the sailboats also seem to be least likely to be bothered. Trawlers and other non-flashy, non-express style powerboats are one step above sailboats. Anything small or likely to be used as a party platform is right at the top of the target list though.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2021, 06:28   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by _LifeInTheWild_ View Post
We plan to spend some time in the Apostles this summer. We are at a marina in Bayfield, so we have a lot of near by exploring. I am great at roughing it unlike my wife. She likes to be clean and to eat off clean dishes. She even washes her hands after using the head. We don't have a holding tank, so I am curious as to what people do for dish, body, and hand washing aboard when at anchor. I would like to comply with regulations and to have as little impact on the ecosystems as I can manage. Thanks.
You need a holding tank period. get caught and you won’t be happy.
Happ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2021, 06:36   #29

Boat: Vaitses/Herreshoff Meadow Lark 37'

I just bought a boat that has a marine head and no holding tank that the prior owner had sailed on Superior. He'd removed the head and installed a portable camping toilet.

He put the head back in, when he sold the boat to me. I'll be taking it out, again, before I put the boat into the water. What I'll put into is place I haven't yet decided.
Jdege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2021, 07:07   #30

Boat: Capital Yachts Newport 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdege View Post
I just bought a boat that has a marine head and no holding tank that the prior owner had sailed on Superior. He'd removed the head and installed a portable camping toilet.

He put the head back in, when he sold the boat to me. I'll be taking it out, again, before I put the boat into the water. What I'll put into is place I haven't yet decided.

You can get holding tanks for pretty cheap if you go with the plastic models. Just make sure you get pumped out before it gets too cold for too long. You can also get fairly cheap flexible "bag" type tanks if the rigid plastic tanks won't fit where you need them. I actually use the flexible for both water and black water, I went cheap with the water tank and moderate (heavier duty) for the black water tank. Neither has given me any problems in over 12 years. I think the water tank brand was Plastimo and the black water tank was Vetus but I can't remember for sure.
Petaris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Advice, lake superior