Re: Lake Superior Grand Tour & Facts

correction
I did that run in 1998 not 1978.
My computer skills are not the best
naitaka322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 09:11   #63

Boat: Rafiki 37

Hmmm, I was in Marathon at that time. We moved to Thunder Bay around 2005 I think, but I was hanging around the TBYC helping with other boats.

AKA-None: Nice pic. But your date stamp is either March 4 or April 3 — either way, you’ve got some big sailing cojones to be out of the Big Lake that early . The best I ever did was early May. Usually there was still lots of ice in Thunder Bay in April.
Old 04-04-2018, 13:28   #64

Boat: ODay 322

Those pics were originally slides (like on film). They were converted to a cd and then downloaded into my computer. So I have no idea where those dates come from.
I believe the picture of boat going down the road was between Dryden and TB.
The one leaving by water was approximately June 15, 1998. I believe it was a monday morning so if the date doesnt match a monday then what ever is closer.
Go to Searoom.com and read the whole story. The boat was called IllusionV.
James Upfold
naitaka322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 05:34   #65

Boat: Ta Shing Baba 30

I also work, live in Minneapolis, and add a foolish American, can't hope for a month away from work to sail Superior.... Not yet. My goal this year is 2 weeks.

Does anyone have an opinion about how far I could hope to go? I only have a small, light boat , bit she seems sturdily built (S2 8.0b). To make matters worse my daughter is 15 months old , and my wife's reluctance increases exponentially with distance from safe harbor, as does mine. Truth be told, I'm intimidated by the big waters of the open lake, and with a 26 footer with a d/l of only about 208, sticking close to shore seems like a wise plan.

The apostles are fun, but I do want to venture father afield. I have been thinking about investing some of my slowly accumulating long term cruising kiddy on a good proper sea boat. Think it's Overkill? My plan this year is to take 2 weeks, and see what the winds and weather forecasts are like, making either straight across to silver Bay and then up to taconite harbor, Grand Marais, and then - maybe, if luck, weather, and time are with me - crossing to isle Royale before either shooting straight back to the apostles in a favorable wind, or hopping back down the coast to avoid the possiblity of heavier weather overnight. It would be, by an order of magnitude, my longest cruise.

I would love to hear what people think. I have a pretty reliable engine, but even at 6 knots, Canadian side seems inaccessibly distant.
danfarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 08:40   #66

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by danfarrell View Post
I also work, live in Minneapolis, and add a foolish American, can't hope for a month away from work to sail Superior.... Not yet. My goal this year is 2 weeks.

Does anyone have an opinion about how far I could hope to go? I only have a small, light boat , bit she seems sturdily built (S2 8.0b). To make matters worse my daughter is 15 months old , and my wife's reluctance increases exponentially with distance from safe harbor, as does mine. Truth be told, I'm intimidated by the big waters of the open lake, and with a 26 footer with a d/l of only about 208, sticking close to shore seems like a wise plan.

The apostles are fun, but I do want to venture father afield. I have been thinking about investing some of my slowly accumulating long term cruising kiddy on a good proper sea boat. Think it's Overkill? My plan this year is to take 2 weeks, and see what the winds and weather forecasts are like, making either straight across to silver Bay and then up to taconite harbor, Grand Marais, and then - maybe, if luck, weather, and time are with me - crossing to isle Royale before either shooting straight back to the apostles in a favorable wind, or hopping back down the coast to avoid the possiblity of heavier weather overnight. It would be, by an order of magnitude, my longest cruise.

I would love to hear what people think. I have a pretty reliable engine, but even at 6 knots, Canadian side seems inaccessibly distant.
What's your plan if you start taking cold blue water or hard spray over the topsides? Can you stand the exposure for 4 or 6 or 8 hours or more. Hypothermia is a big risk on that lake in July/August in a small boat. Proximity to shore is more dangerous than being off shore. Can your motor and/or sail make headway against 6 or 8 ft vertical sided waves in 30 to 40 knots of wind? Being on a schedule increases the likelihood of encountering bad weather. Do you have radar? Super dense fog on Isle Royale and North Shore.

With strong crew no problem. With wife and child big problem as you are effectively single handing with the possibility of encountering heavy weather. Just MHO.
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 20:33   #67

Dan, you could do what you propose, but there’s not a lot of wiggle room in your plans with a small boat. You’re probably going to average around 3-4 knots (at best). That puts everything outside of the Apostles pretty far.

If you really do want to venture outside the islands (which I think is a good thing), what about heading east towards the Keweena? I’ve never sailed this area, but I have taken a few motorcycle trips around. Copper Harbour area looks pretty interesting. A trip through the waterway would be fascinating. It’s still a longish distance, but might be more doable.

First and foremost, if you want this to be a long-term family thing, you must ensure you, your wife, and your kid have an enjoyable time. The last thing you want to do is turn your first big outing into a slog, or worse, a scary event.

LS’s cautions should definitely be listened to. It’s a Big Lake, and yours is a small boat.
Old 10-04-2018, 19:01   #68

Apparently I've completely co-opted this thread, so here goes. I'll take my chance to get some sage council.

I already assumed the farther reaches of the lake were out of the question. Sounds like I was right. It's just too remote and yes, mine is a small boat not made with severe conditions in mind (though I'd wager it would do much better than Marlin Bree's little 23 footer in "In the Wake of the Green Storm" or "In the Teeth of the Nor'Easter". Back then there were comparatively few safe harbors on the north shore. At least I have an inboard!)

The keewenaw is over 100 miles from the Apostles, Mike, whereas the north shore of Minnesota, namely silver bay, is only 30. Since prevailing winds are usually from the west in the summer, this makes it a weather shore and seems like a good place to be heading in the off chance that a storm materializes out of nowhere. At least, that's what I've been thinking. Heading east puts the hardest part of the trip at the end, which seems like a recipe for a bad time. I don't think we're ready for an overnight passage.

I'm definitely a bit nervous about the trip; even the 30 miles to Silver Bay, a trip I've done once before, puts us far away from any protection. We can run back to the apostles, taking a northwest or southwest wind on the aft quarter, or run to silver bay, taking a northeast or southeast wind also on the aft quarter. But I'd rather make a clear weather window, motoring if necessary, and go the direction of a favorable wind or stay put.

I'm currently trying to decide if a flexible schedule of hopping to Silver Bay, then Taconite Harbor, then Grand Marais, then either back the way I came or back across to the Apostles, is a reasonable 2 week course. Each of those hops, excepting a crossing back to the Apostles, is about 30 miles, which seems pretty doable in favorable weather ( either favorable winds or light winds with a lot of motoring). I can do 5 or 6 knots under engine in light seas at about 60% throttle or so. I don't have a dodger or bimini, but i might try to rig a bimini this spring if I can swing it ( the boat used to have one and still has the mounting hardware on the coamings). If the weather looked dicey, I would stay in port. If I ran out of time, I could probably swing a ride back to my car in the Apostles and a week or two of slip fees in Silver Bay, not sure how it would work in Taconite Harbor or Grand Marais.

Anybody have an opinion of that plan? Too ambitious? Unreasonably risky? I guess the old saying "30 is mandatory on superior" ( is it 40?) is true! There just doesn't seem like there's anywhere to go from the apostles that isn't at least 30 miles away.
Old 10-04-2018, 19:53   #69
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I am glad to see this topic discussion has continued.

My thanks go to everyone adding more photos, videos, and opinions and anecdotes and advice.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 20:41   #70

Quote:
...The keewenaw is over 100 miles from the Apostles, Mike, whereas the north shore of Minnesota, namely silver bay, is only 30. Since prevailing winds are usually from the west in the summer, this makes it a weather shore and seems like a good place to be heading in the off chance that a storm materializes out of nowhere. At least, that's what I've been thinking. Heading east puts the hardest part of the trip at the end, which seems like a recipe for a bad time. I don't think we're ready for an overnight passage ...
Yes, I know the distances Dan, but the west shore is unprotected and pretty bleak in my view (I have sailed parts of this shore). Other than Grand Marais there’s really not a lot going for it. You have to hop from man-made safe harbour to safe harbour, and if you get caught in between, well, things could get challenging fast.

Going east looks more interesting to me. I wouldn’t suggest you just head across to the Keewana, but it looks like there are a few nice hops, first about 30 nm to Maple Creek, then about the same to Ontonagon. This area seems a lot more interesting to me than the west shore.

Yes, the prevailing winds are westerlies — usually northwesterlies, so you should have a nice run east and you’d have a decent chance of a reach coming back. But as you already know, nothing is guaranteed with sailing, especially on the Big Lake. This is why having a tight schedule is always a bad idea. You want to have lots of time to sit stuff out, and to pick good weather windows.
Old 27-05-2018, 10:12   #71

Boat: Trailerable cruising boat

I have done a bit of boating on Lake Superior: two trips to the Apostle Islands, and two trips to Isle Royale. For (very) detailed narratives and over 275 images, see

Isle Royale National Park 2010

Apostle Islands 2012

Isle Royale National Park 2013

Trailer Boat Tales 2000: Superior Boating
continuouswave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2018, 10:19   #72
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by continuouswave View Post
I have done a bit of boating on Lake Superior: two trips to the Apostle Islands, and two trips to Isle Royale. For (very) detailed narratives and over 275 images, see

Isle Royale National Park 2010

Apostle Islands 2012

Isle Royale National Park 2013

Trailer Boat Tales 2000: Superior Boating
Cool!

Thanks for adding the links.

Please select a few excerpts and a few photos to post in this thread from your extensive collection.

I think adding more photos to illustrate this thread, will help other CF readers see the appeal.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2019, 00:16   #73

I chickened out last year, or at least decided discretion was the better part of valor.

Quote:
With strong crew no problem. With wife and child big problem as you are effectively single handing with the possibility of encountering heavy weather. Just MHO.
That is the one that really got to me. Is this an Ok situation to put a family in? No, I decided. We stayed in the Apostles area last year, though we did get as far as Cornucopia.

Actually, we saw a bit of heavier weather and lumpier seas and it made me glad I wasn't any farther out on that 4600 pound boat. The lake is not to be taken lightly.
Old 29-01-2019, 02:17   #74

Boat: Leopard 39

Flying over Superior at 30,000 feet and CAVU, you can't see shoreline; it's like an ocean.
danielamartindm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2019, 07:21   #75

Quote:
I chickened out last year, or at least decided discretion was the better part of valor.

That is the one that really got to me. Is this an Ok situation to put a family in? No, I decided. We stayed in the Apostles area last year, though we did get as far as Cornucopia.

Actually, we saw a bit of heavier weather and lumpier seas and it made me glad I wasn't any farther out on that 4600 pound boat. The lake is not to be taken lightly.
Wise choice.

Tags
lake superior