Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2012, 20:42   #31

Re: Looking for a Home Port

I kept my boat at Sandusky Harbor Lake Erie Marina | Boat Repairs, Boat Service & Boat Storage | 1-800-877-3625 from 2007 - 2010 and was very happy. Jerry Parsons, the general manager runs a great shop there. I like to cruise and bring my own crew so didn't need the club. However there are a number of clubs in the area including a club based in this marina. They seemed like nice folks and did group cruising as well as racing. The great thing about Sandusky is you can almost always sail, even when the open lake is kicking it up. Just sail on the bay when the lake is too rough; sail to the western lake erie islands or across to Canada when the lake is fair. Lots more info on my website, below. At my website, do searches on Sandusky, Kelleys Island, Put-in-Bay, etc., for more details.
Murphiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 19:13   #32

Boat: 42' Westsail, 32' Bayfield, 36' Pearson
Send a message via Skype™ to artisthos
Re: Looking for a Home Port

Wow, I love Sandusky. As a high schooler, I was run out of such club because I wore a leisure suit in 1970. I live in Cincinnati and will keep my boat in Sandusky just because it is near the islands. Funny sailing Eire prepares for hell but it is true. I want to be your boatswain till my wife allows me to have a slip there. The real sailing in Cincinnati is 45 minutes away at one of the lakes. Take your pick; 20” Open to Sailfish. I sail my Banshee on the Ohio but I was raised a riverat.
Old 12-07-2012, 23:20   #33

Boat: 1972 Catalina 27
We just bought our first boat- a Catalina 27. We have it at Anchor Pointe Boat-a-minium just west of Toledo. Meinke West is right next door too. I don't have any real experience with marinas, and this one seems to fall into the 'collection of individuals' category. OTOH, so far everyone I have talked to is very nice. Marina's a bit...um, rednecky, I guess, but super cheap. We're on a 5 year buy plan and we pay $703/ yr with winter storage included. It's kinda funny you guys all talking about Lk Erie waves- so far I haven't seen many. We're trying to learn to sail and seems like every time we go out, winds are 10 knots or less. (mostly less)

Small threadjack; can someone explain the 'rules' for danger zone 1? Can we use it, or stay away?
lippysyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2012, 00:29   #34

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'
Quote:
Originally Posted by lippysyd
It's kinda funny you guys all talking about Lk Erie waves- so far I haven't seen many. We're trying to learn to sail and seems like every time we go out, winds are 10 knots or less. (mostly less)

Small threadjack; can someone explain the 'rules' for danger zone 1? Can we use it, or stay away?
Lippysyd, don't get complacent with the lack of waves. They can blow up on you in a hurry and make life miserable for an experienced sailor and scare the crap out of new sailors. Respect the lake and watch the weather especially until you're comfortable sailing your new boat. The waves are indeed square a lot like Saginaw Bay. Got stuck in a nor'easter last summer off Saginaw Bay and holed up for a few days to wait it out. Another interesting phenomenon is a seiche. Water usually gets blown east and Buffalo sees a 5' surge and Toledo has little water but these can go any direction. All of a sudden you are aground where you shouldn't be or find your boat straining on it's lines with a big surge when tied to a fixed dock. These usually accompany high winds and strong storms.

As for danger zones you need to watch for red flags. If you see them stay away because they indicate live fire exercises (artillery and such). Otherwise the waters are navigable. Here are the rules from the officials:
http://cfr.vlex.com/vid/850-erie-ord...carne-19766940
SC
sailcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2012, 06:04   #35

Boat: 1972 Catalina 27
Thanks Sailcruiser. I do watch the weather constantly, it's just that we're still learning so it would be nice if when we went out there was a little wind to work with, lol.
lippysyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ports