Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-04-2017, 18:03   #1

Looking for my old boat

I had a Catalina 27 tall rig, sail and hull number 2745, built in 1977. It had the famous Atomic-4 that worked well except when the fuel point put in diesel. I sailed it from Sandusky, Ohio through the Erie Canal, Hudson River, East River, Long Island Sound, Vineyard Sound and into the Atlantic in 1995. I moved it from Sandusky to Lorain, Ohio where the water was deeper and the harbor friendlier. Sold it for next to nothing in 2001 to a good man. I was wondering of she is still afloat.
jtmader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2017, 19:05   #2

Boat: Pearson Ariel 26, Pearson 30
Re: Looking for my old boat

What was her name? I'm docked in Lorain.
RicknSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2017, 04:44   #3

I named the boat "The Blue Dragon" and put a blue Welsh dragon on the 135 Genoa. The man to whom I sold the boat got a better roller-furler and had the sail modified to fit the new furler. He had a sail shop on Detroit Rd. in Rocky River do the work and they remembered me buying the blue adhesive material and describing my intent. They preserved the dragon for him. That was probably 8 years ago and I have lost track of the boat. Understandably, it held some sentimental memories in addition to the quaint smell of the head.
Old 27-04-2017, 05:50   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, jtmader.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2017, 06:45   #5

This could get interesting
If anybody comes across a 1977
Ericson 27 named "Live n Learn"
drop me a note, First boat I ever got seasick on,
tied to the dock, belly on the Atomic 4, hands overhead
working blind on the stuffing box.
Sold it late 90's to a fellow who then lived on it
with girlfriend and two dogs in Larchmont.
Wish I kept it, So many memories
Hope it's still floating.
Cheers
Neil
Time2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2017, 07:19   #6
RKO

Boat: Columbia 8.7

Sadly, I know exactly where my first 3 boats are:
1. Windrose 25- Dry rotting in my local boatyard. I sold it to a guy who sailed it for 15 years. He sold to somebody who never moved from its spot in the yard. All standing rigging is gone now, maybe he sold that off and left the boat to the yard.
2. Mirage 236- I sold it to a guy who sailed it 5 years and sold it to another guy who was going to "rebuild it." Driving through a strange neighborhood on a Saturday morning a couple years ago, I saw my Mirage sitting in the guy's side yard. I knocked on the door to tell him that it used to be mine. He wanted to show me what he had done with the boat. Here's where it gets weird. He took me inside the cabin and told me that HE DECIDED THAT THOSE 'WALLS' TOOK UP TOO MUCH SPACE. SO. HE. REMOVED. THEM.
He removed the bulkheads. I told him that the first time he tried to raise his mast and sail, that the boat would most likely crumple itself up like a piece of paper. I never saw it again.
3. Mirage 5.5- sold to my neighbor. Sits in his driveway and hasn't been moved in 5 years.

Apparently I'm a boat killer.
RKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2017, 08:28   #7

Boat: cal29

Hi JT, There is a boat in it's cradle about three boats away from mine that is called the Blue Dragon. It is white with the name on each side near the bow. It looks to be about the size you described but I'm not sure if it's a Catalina. I will be going there tonight, if it doesn't rain, and I will check the make. I am docked in the Grand River on the Fairport Harbor side.

Ken
alexanick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2017, 08:55   #8

Originally, the name was on the stern along with Sandusky, Ohio where she was first berthed. The Ohio tax registration numbers were on the bow.
Old 27-04-2017, 09:18   #9

Boat: Pearson 365 - Cutter Rigged

I too would like to find my 1975 vintage Pearson 365 (hull no. 378) but know its name and color scheme was changed after I sold it about 15 years ago.

Isn't there a index (like a grantee-grantor index for real estate) maintained by someone (?) who keeps track of who owns what vessels? If not, how do boat brokers and lenders corroborate title/ownership when facilitating sale of a vessel? I've struck out in trying to get this information from USCG, at least in the 12th Naval District. Any suggestions would be appreciated. - Thanks
Revenue Cutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2017, 09:48   #10

Humm? When I bought the boat it was owned by a CPA living in Columbus, Ohio. He had not paid state tax on the boat and it was not state registered. It was registered with the Coast Guard as a US Vessel. That will allow you to travel overseas and be recognized. I re-registered with the US Government and got papers. I went to the BMV in Grove City, Ohio and showed them my proof of purchase, etc. They said, since it was not previously registered, I could forget it. A tax man from the state walked the docks at Lorain and looked for state numbers. He dunned me for payment of taxes and I chocked up the money and put the state numbers on the bow. The State of Ohio may not be able to trace ownership, but we would like to believe that the Coast Guard/US Government would keep a registery. Apparently not.
Old 27-04-2017, 16:00   #11

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

I'd like to find my first boat too. A 1972 C&C27 named JENNY (registered vessel in Canada). Blue hull. I bought it in Toronto, and sold it to a nice french man from Quebec City. I would be interested to hear if it ever made it out to the east coast, or if it came back to the great lakes.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2017, 16:43   #12

Sold my boat in Brisbane, Australia through a broker. I would like to know if it is still sailing in the Pacific and how the new owner like it. The name on the boat, a NanTai 37 called "Buffalo Chips" Icemate@yahoo.com
icemate is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat