Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Great Lakes
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2011, 18:41   #1

Boat: looking for a sail boat soon 26 to 35 foot used for sail around lake superior
Need Opinions on the C&C 26

HI Jeff here again just woundering what some other views of sailors are on the C&C 26 sailboat I talked to some of the guys that have crewd the boat and they said that they had saild ith threw all the great lakes and took it threw some storms with waves pushing 15 feet a few times they thought they were goners but the but pulled them threw unharmed and undamaged. The owner had also told me that he sailed it all the way down the mississippi and into the Bahamas he said it is a fast seawearthy and easy to sail boat. I would more than appritiate some views and opinons of other sailers out there on the boat. Thank you Jeffrey Scott .A
jeffreyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2011, 19:36   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: I need opinions on the C&C 26 sail boat im looking at one for my trip

This is an excellent boat and would do well for sailing around the Great Lakes. However, just as important as the quality of the boat is the condition. A well built boat in bad condition could be a problem.

Also, depends on the kind of sailing you want to do. Most C&Cs are racer/cruiser designs so not always the largest accommodations for the size.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2011, 19:51   #3

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter
Re: Need Opinions on the C&C 26

Smart money says the balsa core is wet/frozen/delaminated. For some, that's a deal breaker. For others, a negotiating advantage. Bring a surveyor. The moisture meter will tell all.

The boat itself is a good starter for the Great Lakes, and you'll need that on Superior.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 17:57   #4

Just found this thread!
I sail a C&C 26 on Ghost Lake in Alberta, Canada. Had her since 2002.

Huge accommodation for a 26 ft boat- 10 ft beam.
PHRF is around 210 secs so they were not raced much. Consequently they are usually in better condition than say a 27 or a 29.

No balsa core in the hull; balsa cores deck.

She's a little tenderer than a lot of boats, but it's all relative.
I bought a new set of sails about 4 seasons ago and she's a different boat. But then again, most boats are with new sails. Not much passes me, but I'm paranoid about sail trim.

Built like a brick s#%t house with a mast like a telegraph pole.
Theoretically, she should do 6 1/4 knots and she does easily.

Pretty boat, I get lots of compliments.

I have a Yanmar 2GM20F in her / Lewmar 16ST winches / Harken traveler / Garhauer ridged vang and adjustable genoa cars etc., so she's been updated since I bought her.

A good boat! Not as fast as a 27, but faster than most. Great accommodation and sits on the mooring real pretty!

Sam :-)
C&C 26 Liquorice
Ghost Lake Alberta
Liquorice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2013, 13:17   #5

Liquorice, Sam, C&C 26...

This is all nice to hear! I am launching my cnc26 this weekend. I have been overhauling it for 7 months after purchasing from a friend. I can wait to use her. I have only sailed on a large boat as a mate 1 time. Other than that I sailed as a teenage on sunfish and cats. I have so much to learn and am excited to have this boat for sure!

I'd love to see some pics of Liquorice!
erikson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2013, 13:53   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, jeffreyscott, Liquorice & erikson17.

The C&C26 is a great little boat.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2013, 11:08   #7

About to purchase a J-24 mainsail for a temporary / learning sail. I think I'll end up paying around 200 max for it. I know it fits with the 3/4" luff sliders and will be around 14 inches short on the luff and around 8 inches on the foot. My foot allows 9.5' and my luff is 29.25. I will probably get a custom sail at some point in the 1.5 - 2 yr range.

Please comment
Old 15-05-2013, 12:35   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquorice View Post
Just found this thread!
I sail a C&C 26 on Ghost Lake in Alberta, Canada. Had her since 2002.

Huge accommodation for a 26 ft boat- 10 ft beam.
PHRF is around 210 secs so they were not raced much. Consequently they are usually in better condition than say a 27 or a 29.

No balsa core in the hull; balsa cores deck.

She's a little tenderer than a lot of boats, but it's all relative.
I bought a new set of sails about 4 seasons ago and she's a different boat. But then again, most boats are with new sails. Not much passes me, but I'm paranoid about sail trim.

Built like a brick s#%t house with a mast like a telegraph pole.
Theoretically, she should do 6 1/4 knots and she does easily.

Pretty boat, I get lots of compliments.

I have a Yanmar 2GM20F in her / Lewmar 16ST winches / Harken traveler / Garhauer ridged vang and adjustable genoa cars etc., so she's been updated since I bought her.

A good boat! Not as fast as a 27, but faster than most. Great accommodation and sits on the mooring real pretty!

Sam :-)
C&C 26 Liquorice
Ghost Lake Alberta
"Shes a little tender"...There is a C&C 26 at my old marina and I often noticed that this boats mast would swing back and forth for a longer period of time than did any other boat when someones wake set things to rocking..It was excessive..Just saying..
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:36   #9

It is a great boat so far. Had her in the water for 4 months now since i bought and redid her waterline and bottom area. I love the boat and plan on keep putting her back in healthy shape inside and out. No major problems to deal with except the ones i took care of. The bottom was taken back down to original barrier coat, 2 more coats applied and 2 coats of bottom paint. The seacocks have been re applied with mastic and the keel crack was addressed thouroughly with west systems epoxy and glasswork. The cockpit was removed and replaced with new wood and refinished alll the way back to gelcoat. I have a new (used mains'l) and sail cover, boom tent, and tiller cover. The tiller was refinished and the hatch has been remade and looks amazing. Also the grab bars on top of the saloon have been refinished. I forgot to mention fixing blistering along the entire waterline (blistering wasnt that bad except in the back third of the boat) to about 2 inches below waterline to 4 inches above. I then painted a new boot strip. Now it is time to have a rigger come check her out an make sure nothing is about to break up top or in the shroud and chainplate areas. It seems to be good but I am going to pay a professional. The last things which will take all winter form me, will be re engineering the some of the electrical (although not in bad shape at all), applying a vinly strip flooring(epoxy glued down), maybe a nice new stove, some wood finishing and adding some cabinets, and making a new table for customization reasons, and also would like to get an inboard maybe right before next spring. The only other things would be to as affordable for me... to add a a/c system, refridge upgraded system, and solar and or wind power options. It is a long list to go through but it is enjoyable for sure. I plan to fix it up and sell it in tip top shape (probably for a loss but it will be a gain experience wise). I then plan to move to Hawaii and learn about the hawaiian sailing canoes and get back into what i really love .......Surfing

Tags
c&c, paracelle, sail