Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Great Lakes
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-04-2022, 14:49   #16

Boat: O'Day 30 CB
Re: thunder bay or duluth to st lawrence

We made the trip from Benton Harbor to Detroit last June. It was a great sail, but about 1/3 of our time was weather days. The days that didn't have too much (30+ knots) mostly had too little. We motored about 90% of the time. Fog? Yup- plenty in the northern lakes. Most of the boats in the northern lakes have RADAR. Sailing port to port & stopping to sleep is easy solo, but daily miles suffer. There is enough traffic that I would not feel comfortable sleeping on the boat underway without someone on watch.

You might think about trucking her as far as Toledo, OH. A few more $$, but MUCH less sailing time & exposure to weather that might keep you stuck for days at a time.
kayakerChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2022, 14:54   #17

could very well be 1400 bucks well spent - then maybe i could just take 2 weeks and ....happy wife etc.
randsand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2022, 15:07   #18

Lateral thinking, but maybe cheaper from Washington to truck thru Canada. If you can get to Toronto it makes your 2-3 weeks a vacation.
Danm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2022, 19:27   #19

Boat: IRWIN CITATION 34

I took a boat (27 Catalina) from Erie, PA to Ashland, Wi years ago- great trip!! Lake Superior South Shore. - river thru Houghton , Mi - Lake Huron to the lake St Clair, Lake Erie- Weland Canal, lake Ontario, Erie Canal, Hudson River etc. great!!
bob mundle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2022, 19:29   #20

Boat: IRWIN CITATION 34

The second part was from Toledo , Ohio in a 34 Irwin- ended up in Jacksonville,fl.
bob mundle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2022, 04:29   #21

Boat: Catalina 375

Randsand. Others have commented on the difficulties of what you are trying to do. I suggest you check your geography though. There are NO marinas in USA on south of Montreal unless you plan to go to Lake Champlain. I do not think you can get there without clearing Canadian Customs, that is for sure. Having done the Seaway a few times, you will run out of USA territory and marinas somewhere in Lake ST Lawrence. That is somewhere west of Cornwall. In reality there is not much in USA east of Alexandria Bay NY. I went to Gaspe and back in 2017. With the high water that year, it was a sled ride to Quebec City. 4 days from Kingston. Coming back was not so pleasant. I think we might have high water again this year. I agree with all the others who have mentioned light to no winds and cold when you plan to do this. I would think seriously about the trucking option. Maine /Mass a lot closer to Gulf of St Lawrence than Superior and it would be safer for you as well. Just my humble opinion.
Ardbeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2022, 04:54   #22

Boat: Beneteau 42cc

I know Lake Superior well. It is by far the best lake for adventure, and you would love exploring it. That being said, put the boat in the water somewhere between Racine and Manitowak on Lake Michigan. Yes Superior is cold, foggy and challenging, but even if you are up for the challenge, there simply are not enough services on the lake for your needs. With a new boat you will want access to marinas, chandleries and service techs just in case you have an issue. On Superior you can get by in Duluth and Bayfield, but after that you are on your own. Literally no marine store until The Sault, and they are not set up well for sailboats. Even in Duluth your nearest west Marine is 120 miles away. Normally the first several days after putting a new boat in the water is spent learning the boat, fixing what needs repair, and buying tools and spare parts for the voyage. I have sailed Superior for 40 years and have done the trip out of the Great Lakes. I would highly recommend starting somewhere in Wisconsin or risk being stuck in superior waiting for parts for your new boat. Also, your first lock will be much closer to home.
cdcorl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2022, 05:26   #23

Folks thanks for all the concern, I'll be taking kayakerchucks advice and spending 1500 extra dollars on trucking and going for the toledo option. There is plenty of time (and storage options) for the trip from there. Less scenic which I am sorry for as I doubt I will return the big lakes but is what it is.

It's not a new boat just new to me, there are spares and I'm handy enough, also been to Nova Scotia twice before by sail once via Bermuda.
randsand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2022, 05:56   #24

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by randsand View Post
Folks thanks for all the concern, I'll be taking kayakerchucks advice and spending 1500 extra dollars on trucking and going for the toledo option. There is plenty of time (and storage options) for the trip from there. Less scenic which I am sorry for as I doubt I will return the big lakes but is what it is.

It's not a new boat just new to me, there are spares and I'm handy enough, also been to Nova Scotia twice before by sail once via Bermuda.
Sadly, this is a better option. Lake Superior is a cruiser's paradise, but not one to be rushed through. Leaving from Toledo will shave at least a week to 10 days off the sail, and more importantly, greatly reduce the uncertainties inherent in travel on the BIG Great Lakes.

Be wary of Lake Erie. I found it the -- eeriest of all the Lakes. It's shallow, and seas build up very fast. It's also got a lot of little zippy traffic, although it will be less so early in the season.

Have a great trip. With this start location, you can slow down a bit and enjoy it.
Old 16-04-2022, 09:24   #25

Born in Duluth but never sailed there. Sailed on Lake Ontario out of Toronto for several years while owning 2 sailboats (CS 30 & Beneteau 35.1) in the 90's. After selling the 35.1 I assisted the new owner in getting it through the Welland Canal into Lake Erie (to Port Stanfield). In the 90's we had 3 crew in total to go through The Welland and carried with us some old fenders and a couple of 2x4s to keep us off the greasy walls. We got to the Ontario end of the canal late in the afternoon and then got to the marina at the other end close to midnight. The Canal was not too busy with shipping in mid summer then, but is a lot busier in the spring after it first opens after the long wait of winter.

All I know of the great lakes is mostly Ontario but I believe the others are similar; it is a beautiful sunny day and then there you are in the middle of the lake with the chop building up and the wind blows you a big rain storm with lightning and your genoa gets stuck on the furler while you try to take it in. Been there & lucky for me my wife had taken all the sailing courses and could keep the boat into the wind while I went up to the foredeck to fix the sail. I knew more than one Ocean experienced sailing friend who would comment that the Great Lakes could be worse than bad storms they had ventured into crossing the Oceans. Nonetheless it sounds like a grand adventure!
jkbeaudin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2022, 11:48   #26

Boat: Kadey Krogen 42

I suggest that you look at the boatyards in Clayton, New York. We wintered over during the loop at French Creek Marina and had a good experience. The transportation logistics are relatively easy to northern New York.
AnsleyS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2022, 16:35   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by randsand View Post
I've found a boat i really like in washington state - it looks like its going to happen.

trucking to new england not in cards (13kish$$) but to duluth or thereabouts not so bad.

possible plan - drop in water step mast and take 2 to 3 weeks to cruise a tiny bit and move the boat mast up the whole way to a US marina a bit south of montreal.

I would then store the boat for the winter (thats all the time I have _ i'd not planned on buying this boat it just sorta came along and is just what I want...stoutly built 34 footer with heat and ready for bigger adventures than I am) and next year bigger trip out the st lawrence and cruising in those areas with storage in Nova Scotia for that winter. Then prob a proper season in Maine and I live in southern New England.

I will sail solo much of the time in the lakes though I know I have to have a mate for the locks.

Faults with my plan? Marinas to recommend for the duluth and end point st. lawrence storage options?

1st post - appreciate any input.
i am an experienced sailor with some long offshore passages and much coastal cruising on my own boats. Never been in a lock or in the great lakes though.
Please email me at seabreez500@gmail.com I can be a very good crew for anyone going from Kingston east of Montreal to get through the locks and high current areas. I live in Summerstown Ontario.
seabreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2022, 07:51   #28

Boat: Tripp 56

Looks like Thunder Bay YC has a crane, you should talk to them about the possibility of putting the spar in yourself. With a 34 footer, it should be a piece of cake.
Coltrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2022, 08:06   #29

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltrek View Post
Looks like Thunder Bay YC has a crane, you should talk to them about the possibility of putting the spar in yourself. With a 34 footer, it should be a piece of cake.
Yes, it has a mast crane, and a largish travel lift for launching. The TBYC can easily manage a 34-footer.

Everything is DIY, except for the travel lift operator, who is a trained volunteer who receives a stipend. Club members can be rounded up to help new arrivals.
Old 22-04-2022, 08:44   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
If you want to truck and launch to Thunder Bay, you basically have two options: TB Yacht Club, or McKellar Marina. Of the two, I'd suggest the TBYC, but you'll have to make arrangements with the club.

It's no small journey, going from the top of the Great Lakes, all the way to the bottom. It will take many weeks, at the very least. I would take months if possible.

Will you do the Welland Canal, or the Trent-Severn? And when do you plan to start? The upper lakes, especially Lake Superior, remains cold well into late June and July. It's foggy. Most boaters don't get going till mid-June up in Thunder Bay.

I sailed from Thunder Bay to near the end of Lake Ontario a few years ago. It was a grand trip, but we took basically the whole summer to do it. Of course, we always take our time. But there's so much to see and explore. Take as much time as you can.
I can only add I sailed Sioux St Marie to Duluth MN and it was very, very cold. Prior to leaving (it was a race in August) the Coast Guard spoke at a dinner about your life expectancy in the water. Somewhere around 4-5 minutes. So I strongly advise you to be tethered all the time and dress as warmly as possible!
Happ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc