Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Great Lakes
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2016, 14:17   #1

What to see and do Cobourg, Ontario

Heading over to Cobourg, Ontario Aug 19th for a long weekend. What to see and do that isn't included in the promotions. I always like the road less traveled.
30yearslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2016, 09:29   #2

Boat: Catalina 34 - "Points North"
Re: What to see and do Cobourg, Ontario

Cobourg's a nice town. It was on the outs but is reinventing itself as a retirement destination. There are a couple of restaurants that we enjoy. Marca which is near the marina and the Oasis which is a few blocks further north and east. You have three overnight options in the harbour. You can anchor out, take a spot on the wall which is free if you have reciprocals with the Cobourg Yacht Club but no electricity, or take a slip in the marina. The harbour is great for kayaking and paddle boarding. The beach is quite nice but can be busy. There is a nice boardwalk to the west of the marina and the walking around town, especially the older neighbourhoods to the west, is nice. There is a lot of automobile action on the pier in the evenings where the locals show off their machines. There's a great ice cream joint just across from Marca. We get to Cobourg at least once each summer as it's a great jumping off place to get into Prince Edward County which is really nice. Here are a couple of pictures of us following a tall(ish) ship out of the harbour three weeks ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0700.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	129491   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0701.JPG
Views:	155
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	129492  

Old 13-08-2016, 09:44   #3

Thanks Dave. I reserved slip E-137 for Friday and Saturday. Very pleasant fellow took the reservation. I am very interested in the Barracks and the Victoria Building. Looks like a really nice harbor. Being born and raised in Rochester I thought, what the heck, let's take a look at the ferry destination. That would be the 1920s one and not the new debacle ferry of the 2000s. Will look into Marca's as it seems highly rated. Nice walking town with everything close to the marina and the harbor is layed out fantastic.
Old 15-08-2016, 05:22   #4

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30yearslater View Post
. That would be the 1920s one and not the new debacle ferry of the 2000s. .
Actually, there were two ferries, the Lake Ontario and Lake Ontario II. My grandparents enjoyed the ride between Rochester and Cobourg.

Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2016, 14:25   #5

That's an amazing photo of one of the ferries. I saw a photo years ago in a local eatery in black and white. It was all grease and water stained. That was a shame. It has been bugging me that photo with the tall(ish) ship departing in front of you. I think that is the Pride of Baltimore. Saw it on the AIS when it was headed to Toronto. Didn't know they were headed to Cobourg. You obviously got a ring side seat. Now I'm jealous. Might have to head over Thursday night since the wind looks like it is going to go flat Friday. I'm too cheap to spend gas money.
Old 21-08-2016, 16:48   #6

Nice destination for a long weekend. Marina is extremely beautiful and the staff is very accommodating. Take your shower very early AM or very late PM as the warm water goes quick at peak times. Dean Marine is a nice marine supply store located just up the street. A variety of casual dining though a bit pricey. Victoria Hall is an example of early architecture and has quite a history. The Jailhouse is a non event. The beach and pier are popular with the young crowd. The bagpipes of a well known pipe band were playing on the pier Friday night giving the twilight a magical quality. The youngsters like to parade their cars on the pier so a car show is always happening. This weekend the Meat Orgy or Ribfest was in full swing with live bands and more to eat than an modest person should. The area had a certain Mad Max quality about it with soot stained billboards proclaiming the number of awards and trophies each rib vendor had one at various events. A terrific place to visit for a short stay.

Tags
ontario