Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Boat Ownership & Making a Living
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-11-2018, 10:04   #31

Re: A fine for a not registered 10ft dinghy? FL-US

Florida is famous for that. Was that way 20 years ago when I was there for 90 days. If you row instead you should be fine.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2018, 10:15   #32
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat driver View Post
yes - but it also includes "in sight of mother vessel"or "for specific service of ferrying to-from land" or "lifesaving service".
And the US cruising permit only covers on vessel.
At what official site can I find that citation.
Old 18-11-2018, 10:21   #33

Location: Boat is on the hard in San Carlos for the tropical storm season. We are back in the PNW
Boat: 1999 Pacific Seacraft 40

Seems as though there is considerable variation from state to state.

We are in Washington and when operating a motorized vessel I was told by both the local county sheriff and the Fish and Game officers that I need to be registered. That means state registration and WN numbers on my vessel.

The exception is for a tender when operating as such to a larger ship. Even with a motor it didn't need to be registered if the larger ship is documented and the tender is only doing "tender" work. The minute you are carrying a crab pot or fishing pole on the tender, then state registration is required.
Smokeys Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2018, 10:25   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
I've never registered a dinghy anywhere, maybe I've just been lucky to have never been questioned.

You and many others are, however let them stop you, and it’s just another ticket for them.

The tender to is I believe for larger vessels and only applicable of the tender is being used for official ships business, I.E. clearing customs etc. I don’t think it works to go into town for lunch, plus I won’t put tender to on my dinghy, as it announces to thieves that my vessel is unattended, perhaps that’s paranoid, but it doesn’t hurt to think security.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2018, 10:52   #35

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

I'm up north on Lake Ontario. We have a similar problem when going to the New York state side of the lake.

Dinghy with no motor, no problem.

Dinghy with motor must have an identifying name or number clearly visible. We do not have to register in NY, but there must be some sort of marking showing that its registered somewhere. Since vessels under 10hp do not need to be registered in Canada, its sufficient to have a name on the dinghy.

And it doesn't matter if the dinghy is being rowed...if it has an engine on it, it must be marked.

It's also a really good idea to have a name or number on your dinghy...for when it gets stolen. Otherwise the description would be...inflatable dinghy around 8 or 10 feet long, grey, with an outboard. Yup, that'll work!
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2018, 10:53   #36

Per the USCG documentation center, vessel documentation does NOT include a dinghy and that they fall under state rules for registration. In California and boat with a motor or any boat with a sail over 10 feet.
Clyde
Jazzrockskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2018, 11:08   #37

Boat: Oyster 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
I've never registered a dinghy anywhere, maybe I've just been lucky to have never been questioned.
Same here. I don’t want to put my boat’s name on my dinghy—when I’m ashore it’s an advertisement that there is no one on the boat—but I don’t mind putting my boat’s official number on the dinghy. Is there a standard place the number should go, or is any place okay?
Dr. Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2018, 11:15   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

On ships at least, launches are only required to show the name of the ship and port of registry that they were launched from. If you have an IMO number then add that.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2018, 11:32   #39
CLOD

Boat: none

Amazing how people can’t understand the key item included in post #1
Old 18-11-2018, 11:45   #40

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

[QUOTE=Standbly;2763842]Yesterday I was pulled over by an official who asked for my registration papers. I was driving my dinghy from my boat to shore. My dingy is a 10ft WalkerBay 10 with a 3hp Yamaha outboard.

I said that I never heard of such nonsense to register a 10ft dinghy but he was persistent and was about to write a ticket. Than I mentioned that I'm a foreign vessel and asked how the h#ll I'm suppose to register a dinghy in the US, being a foreigner. He didn't have an answer and "gave me a warning". In other words, no ticket but close!

My question is, is he right? Do I have to have my dinghy registered in Florida, USA?[/QUOTE]

It sometimes happens when visiting in a foreign country that local officers expect you to comply with local laws. Simply explaining that yours is a tender to a foreign flagged boat, and subject to the laws of Holland should be enough to get them to leave you alone.

Although rowing your dinghy may be the easiest way to avoid attention, I really don't think they can force you to register after 90 days, but it could be an unpleasant confrontation. Law enforcement officers in the US are
under a whole lot of pressure today that has been slowly increasing for years, and they may have a short fuse. You may find it easier to vacate FL and investigate another State for a while.

Ann
US citizen cruising in Oz
Old 18-11-2018, 11:52   #41
Marine Service Provider

The only ones who got it right so far are john61ct and Woodland Hills.
This is just another good reason to USCG "Document" your boat if you are a US citizen. If you are not a US citizen your boat should be "registered" "documented" or "recorded" at what the hell ever is highest level of proof of ownership and nationality that your home country grants vessel owners.
This is international law by treaty. The various US states and localities have no jurisdiction over these vessels, nor their dully marked and identified tenders, that have been legally cleared into US waters, period. State, county or local cops, including “water cops” have no authority to board and US documented vessel, or its foreign equivalent, without probably cause that a US, state, county or local law has been broken.
Come on guys, the United States Supreme Court has ruled that New York police cannot even stop a known (to them) drug dealer on the street and search his smart phone without probable cause or a warrant just because he is walking down the street and is known to be a bad actor.
If any American does not understand that this right extends to every person, even foreigners and a bunch of grungy yachties, and their property, while legally present in the United States….well there is just no hope for you.
Make a copy of this post and laminate it in plastic. Hand it to the next local law enforcement jackass that tries to give you any grief.

If you have only a state registered boat, you're screwed, they will tax the s--- our of you.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2018, 12:18   #42

Boat: Oday 25

New York State requires a registration for any vessel with a motor. This is the law and has been for more than 20 years.
ebsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2018, 12:24   #43
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Amazing how people can’t understand the key item included in post #1
+1
Old 18-11-2018, 12:25   #44
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebsail View Post
New York State requires a registration for any vessel with a motor. This is the law and has been for more than 20 years.
Foreign vessels exempted.
Old 18-11-2018, 12:44   #45

Boat: Catalina 30

One poster suggested "stick some numbers that sort of look like your national registration on lucite or wood and tie wrap it to the dinghy." For goodness sake DO NOT do that. If they stop you and run the numbers, see that they are bogus, you'll be in real trouble. In my neck of the woods, the policia have nothing to do other than to run around and look for bogus numbers, expired stickers, etc. And then, oh brother, you would think the offender is going to have the Homeland Security folks called. It's NASTY.
carlheintz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy