Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-01-2015, 17:12   #1

Annual cruzing cost

I think this has been asked before, but how much does it cost you to cruise each year for how large of a boat? Ex. 45 ft boat would average $10,000 per year to operate.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
ttpoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2015, 17:27   #2

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
Re: Annual cruzing cost

If I were to seperate land based expence, we spend about 500 per month to live aboard BUT after 12 years we're spending about 40k on a re-fit. so thats another 3 k per year so 10 k per year for a 42 foot boat would be about right..
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2015, 19:46   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Annual cruising cost

This is in the top 2-3 most frequently asked question and one without a definite answer. If you look at some of the previous discussions you can spend hours reading different opinions and experiences.

Short answer. Depends. You stay in a marina every night in a popular area, eat meals at restaurants, pay boat yards to do all the boat repairs and maintenance, etc. You could spend $10,000/month.

If you anchor out every night. Cook on board. Do your own repairs. Live carefully then a fraction of that. There are some that claim you can cruise on $500/month. I've done it on even less than that but that was 35 years ago, I was a bachelor and at times I lived a very Spartan existence. Also, as Randyonr3 pointed out, occasionally you will have some major boat expenses that really skew the average for that year.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2015, 19:59   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
This is in the top 2-3 most frequently asked question and one without a definite answer. If you look at some of the previous discussions you can spend hours reading different opinions and experiences.
Good answer, too bad he doesn't want to do his own homework.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 21:58   #5

Boat: Corbin 39

You ll spend as much as you can afford too, no more no less.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
cortezsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 22:08   #6

Boat: 1986 Tosca 36'
Send a message via Skype™ to american

Says here it costs $174,000USD per year for Cruz:

http://www.legistorm.com/member/2872/Sen_Ted_Cruz.html
Old 03-02-2015, 23:46   #7

Boat: Caliber 40

Lots of details here:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...rd-139250.html

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ng-137926.html

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ts-134942.html

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...at-131413.html

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ns-112333.html

And those are just the threads I have participated in about costs since summer 2013.
TacomaSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 00:17   #8

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
There are some that claim you can cruise on $500/month.
I got the boat for $1000, have 12 sails combined total $400, replaced standing rigging for $400. I managed to get all of my bottom paint and ground tackles free. I find stuff like rope or rigging blocks or copper wire in a marina dumpster then sell it to other cruisers in a remote place.

The last 12 months combined I spent a total of $500. This money is more than 90% buying food.

It's possible to go cruising without any money just by carving a dugout canoe from a log, and then without ever using money along the way. In fact it's been done.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 00:33   #9

Location: Plaza Ignacio Antonio Liaño, Numero Dos -Primero Izquierda,Rota 11520 (CADIZ) SPAIN
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailing4Jesus

Shipmates,

I am searching for an Aluminum or Steel Pilothouse Cutter or Ketch in the 80 FOOT to 100 FOOT LOA RANGE, preferably with Her Legs not to long (Under 3m/10 Foot) but so much better if in the 8' Draft range, with Owners Stateroom and at least Three Additional Double Staterooms, and Crews Quarters for Four Souls, and a Captain's Stateroom.

I did locate Two of what I think the Perfect Yacht for me, (1)The Steel "ALAS LIBRES", but He or She (?) are asking way above that which a Thirty One Year Old 1984 should sell for. I am just supposing the owner is really not interested in selling Her. (2) Then I found the 90' Foot Aluminum Pilothouse Cutter "LISHEEN LADY", really perfect, but now just when I have my ducks all in one row, the owner goes up on the asking price from 750,000 EUROS to 975,000 EUROS (???) A real Beauty but it seems the owner is playing with would be buyers.

If any of you folks know of a Pilothouse Cutter/Ketch Steel or Aluminum in the 90 Foot range please shoot me an Email to <Sailing4Jesus@Gmail.com>. I can go to ONE MILLION DOLLARS. Thank each of you for your assistance.

Chaunceý 'BUDDY' Freeman
Senior Chief,U.S.NAVY,RETIRED
note: It is more important WHY you do what you do, than WHAT you do.
Sailing4Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 00:37   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
The last 12 months combined I spent a total of $500. This money is more than 90% buying food.
How much of that remaining $50 a year do you spend on the internet to follow and post on CF? And how do you get such a cheap service?
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 00:58   #11

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

if you would spend some time in dollars and sense there is a ton of data in there.

we put this out last year for our 5 years out. as soon as i have use of 2 hands and can finish the spreadsheet we will put out 6 years of data and a comparison of crusing the caribbean and the med as we are now year 2 in the med.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ta-118781.html
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 05:00   #12
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckr View Post
if you would spend some time in dollars and sense there is a ton of data in there.

we put this out last year for our 5 years out. as soon as i have use of 2 hands and can finish the spreadsheet we will put out 6 years of data and a comparison of crusing the caribbean and the med as we are now year 2 in the med.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ta-118781.html
What year did you move from the Caribbean to the Med? I see small increases in areas and some expected variation in boat related costs. But I'm assuming the move to the Med is the cause of the cost/mo increase overall.

Does "insurance" include both the boat and medical?
Old 04-02-2015, 05:12   #13

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
What year did you move from the Caribbean to the Med? I see small increases in areas and some expected variation in boat related costs. But I'm assuming the move to the Med is the cause of the cost/mo increase overall.

Does "insurance" include both the boat and medical?

sailorboy -- we sailed from antigua to azores in may 2013. some of the boat related cost were upgrades we made and continue to make. for example in cartegena colombia we changed the cooling unit in the reefer box and icreased the capacity of the cooling box by a factor of 8 i think.

insurance is only the boat. we did a 2 person crossing so it cost us more in 2013 but once in the med our insurance has gone down a bit to reflect more modest sailing.

we do not carry medical insurance and pay out of the pocket for medical and it is much less expensive than in the usa. for example in cartagena the admiral had hand surgery and it cost 1,500usd for a highly qualified hand surgeron and then 25usd for each pt session. in trinidad i had 3/4 of one side of my nose replaced due to some non miligant cancer by a plastic surgeron and it was 1,600usd. in tunisia i ruptured a tendon in my shoulder this year and just had 2 screws put in and the cost was 1,800 total including 2 days in the hospital. pt is costing me about 10usd per session right now.

i almost have use of my left hand again so will finish our 2014 expenses and will update the spreadsheet soon.
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 05:12   #14

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
How much of that remaining $50 a year do you spend on the internet to follow and post on CF? And how do you get such a cheap service?
I am using free wifi.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 15:52   #15

Boat: Currently boatless

Here is the cost of cruising for about 40 boats:

The Cost of Cruising ~ SV Estrellita 5.10b
Livia is offline   Reply With Quote