Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Boat Ownership & Making a Living
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.33 average. Display Modes
Old 22-12-2019, 13:27   #196

Boat: C Dory 25 foot semi dory pilot house power boat
Re: Any early retirees turnerd cruisers with big careers have regrets?

My answer is "yes". I started skippering my dad's sailboat in races at age 13, and by age 16 my life plan involved early retirement and cruising. (Era of founding of SSCA newsletter). At age 45, I left a successful practice of Internal Medicine, sold the partnerships, sold our houses, and all land possessions. We purchased an almost new 62' LOA sailboat. We had a plan of 4 years of sailing Calif. to Europe and back, first all of the coast of North America from Long Beach to Canadian Border on East Coast. We cruised most of the Med, as well as the Baltic, and were on our way to Australia, the trade wind route. That 4 year cruise was successful, but my father died, and mother blind, so we returned home to be sure that she was taken care of and get our children got thru college/grad school. We realized that medical care for the rest of our lives was essential. (We consider this a major issue). I was able to go back to a university, as an administrator /physician, and worked another 7 years. I qualified for PERS medical for life, (I had left funds in PERS accounts from years of medical training and a few years teaching at UCLA) At age 56 we retired, bought another boat (this time 46') and spent the next 4 years cruising the PNW, and then sailing to Pensacola, including our 3rd transit of Panama Canal.

We had not touched investments or retirement funds during our cruises. We stopped full time cruising because of health reasons (Heart attacks and back injuries) and terminal care of both of our mothers. For the next 23 years (I am 83 now) we did small boat coastal cruising part time, and have purchased a house again. We are still able to cruise coastal, rivers and lakes in 22 to 25 foot trailerable pilot house boats.

Things to consider: Health, and future medical needs.
Inflation, and loss of value of investments.
Caring for elderly parents and other family members.
Your skills (we had built boats, and put all of the basic systems in our cruising boats, so we could maintain them) are important.
Type of boat and realistic plans for cruising.

We had followed many cruising boat from the 60's on. I had prepared medical kits, and done safety checks on cruising boats. Only a relatively small percent of people achieved their goals. Not only medical issues, divorces, but also loss of the boat were major issues. For example the 1982 Cabo Storm, or the Queens Birthday storm out of New Zealand, as well as groundings and destruction.

I would not have done anything different in retrospect. Our marriage became even closer after cruising and we remain very happily married, as each other's best friends. We also have made many lasting friendships throat the World. The core of our extended family is long distance cruisers.

There are always a few rough times (maybe even if you are extremely wealthy), but the life style cannot be beat!
thataway41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2019, 13:46   #197

Send a message via Skype™ to Gadagirl

From my perspective, which can not possibly answer your questions directly as I'm single and not in your financial position; and not able to cruise yet, just go.

It is a slap to my face if you do not. You stand no chance of putting yourself or loved ones in a bad spot whether it works out perfectly or not. And I would have to say, should I be in your shoes, there would be no question.

Granted from my perspective I don't love my job. But luckily I don't hate it either. It has been a means to an end and somewhat enjoyable. But as far behind you as I am financially? The idea of cruising is still cosidered a first world problem. Even for me to be considering such. So count your blessings and just go.

I would love for you and your wife to go and enjoy yourselves. You have spent your life working at things, and you'll spend the rest of your life working at other things. Same, same, just different things. Things are things, and really make no difference except the passion in your heart that you bring to them.
Gadagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2019, 16:02   #198

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Maybe 30-40 miles while hiking when I sailed, and I didn't track the miles I ran or road my bikes nor did I track my mileage on my kayak.

As far as the long distance sailing miles you mentioned, I don't have any interest to do that yet.

I'm thinking I'd go a bit whacky from boredom which is why in preparation I recently bought a beginner sextant to go along with my charts and hand held Suunto compass. I took a sun site on Friday at lunch in a busy strip mall parking lot so I'd know where I was …….latitude at least!

I'll definitely need something to do on a long cruise such as those you mentioned. I'm thinking when I'm 70 are so it might work out just right
I don't care if you ever cruise or not. Just stop saying you do more miles than most cruisers do, when the reality is just the opposite.
And I like the implication that we had nothing to do while making more miles on a typical day than you do in a season.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2019, 16:57   #199
CLOD

Boat: none

I wondered how thread was still growing. Now i know
Old 23-12-2019, 04:20   #200

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
I don't care if you ever cruise or not. Just stop saying you do more miles than most cruisers do, when the reality is just the opposite.
And I like the implication that we had nothing to do while making more miles on a typical day than you do in a season.
Not sure how you ended up comparing mileage.

Actually I said: "Sometimes it even appears we weekend/vacation cruisers do more actual sailing than those that are cruising full time this is especially true for those of us that live near a large bay near the ocean or on the coast with several islands offshore to sail to."

Now you can take that one of several ways.

We might actually sail more than those folks motoring and sailing the ICW

Or that we are doing more sailing maneuvers than those that sail distance say on one or two tacks the entire cruise.

Racers for example do more sailing maneuvers in an afternoon buoy race than many of us cruisers sailing 100 miles or 1000.

Say maybe 60 tacks and gybes and multiple sail changes plus raising and lowering of the spinnaker. This plus putting the sails on the boat and removing and storing them afterward.

Sometimes the boat is also launched and then hauled after a race or put back on the trailer.

Then the bottom is scrubbed then or later in the week and everything rinsed with fresh water especially if racing in salt water

Not to mention all the rig adjustments before the race depending on the wind. Plus batten selection

Lots of sailing in this race in 1995 between Australia and New Zealand.

thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2019, 05:53   #201

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
There are a lot of people at docks around the world preparing to go cruising...everything of course must be absolutely perfect with the boat before they cast off...and there is always somthing left to do...I think the preparation becomes a an excuse for not leaving. Ive met folks in marinas who have been there for a decade preparing to go cruising...they are never going anywhere.
We were on our way to the Bahamas one trip, and stopped at marina in Marathon, FL. The to the right of us belonged to a couple that had been preparing to go to the Bahamas for two years, the one to the left had been preparing for five years. There was so much West Marine stuff bolted onto the two year boat, I don't know how it was even floating.

I had to ask them, "You know it's just right over there, right?" pointing in the direction of the Bahamas.
Old 23-12-2019, 06:01   #202

Boat: Leopard 40 Sailing Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiW View Post
I think this question completely relies on each individual or couple that is thinking of dropping their careers earlier than is socially the norm to go cruising. My husband and I are considering a similar choice and when thinking about regret, the biggest regret I can think of is not following our dreams and taking a risk to open up new opportunities for ourselves. I realize there is a real risk that it might not work out and we just might regret it, however we will definitely regret it if we never tried.
Outstanding answer Vicki. I'd add that my wife and I are in the process of winding down (really adjusting them to less hours and portability (web guy and she's an accounting wiz). But our one regret so far is we waiting so long for the boat(59 and 56 respectively). We're starting to see friends/family get ill or worse and time doesn't wait... BUT, Vicki's right, it's really up to those directly making the decision and those affected (family ties are actually more of a hangup than careers for some).
theBigKahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2019, 07:43   #203

Boat: Gulfstar 41, Center Cockpit Ketch

I first retired at age 56, and went cruising. Single then and used pickup crew. After a year, it just didn't satisfy, so I returned home and opened a chandlery. Lost my butt the first 4 years.
It picked up, and after 9 years, I sold out, having made about $10/hr for the excercise, but I did get "Someday" fully outfitted at wholesale, saving quite abit there.

At 65, I retired again, and have been sailing since, though the last few years, it has been 6/6 between Central Americai, and our Oregon small farm.
In 2016, i married an old girlfriend, Barbara which has made life much more fulfilling.
Boat, crew and captain all getting a bit worn and at 80 yrs, it takes a lot longer to do everything, but not yet ready.to quit.

My only regret is missed time and intimacy with my kids and gkids. We sre almost aquaintenances now.
captchetco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2019, 09:03   #204

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Not sure how you ended up comparing mileage.

Actually I said: "Sometimes it even appears we weekend/vacation cruisers do more actual sailing than those that are cruising full time this is especially true for those of us that live near a large bay near the ocean or on the coast with several islands offshore to sail to."

Now you can take that one of several ways.

We might actually sail more than those folks motoring and sailing the ICW

Or that we are doing more sailing maneuvers than those that sail distance say on one or two tacks the entire cruise.

Racers for example do more sailing maneuvers in an afternoon buoy race than many of us cruisers sailing 100 miles or 1000.

Say maybe 60 tacks and gybes and multiple sail changes plus raising and lowering of the spinnaker. This plus putting the sails on the boat and removing and storing them afterward.

Sometimes the boat is also launched and then hauled after a race or put back on the trailer.

Then the bottom is scrubbed then or later in the week and everything rinsed with fresh water especially if racing in salt water

Not to mention all the rig adjustments before the race depending on the wind. Plus batten selection

Lots of sailing in this race in 1995 between Australia and New Zealand.

Yes, yes you undoubtably did more maneuvers and dealt with more complex situations in your 60 mile season of sailing in your local neighborhood than our 7,000 miles of sailing in all new to us waters over the same time.
One thing I will give you, you certainly watched more youtube videos.
Like I said I could care less whether you ever cruise or not, but you keep pushing a view of cruisers that is so far from the truth that it is worth pointing out here. At least pointing out once or twice - I'm done now.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2019, 12:01   #205

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Yes, yes you undoubtably did more maneuvers and dealt with more complex situations in your 60 mile season of sailing in your local neighborhood than our 7,000 miles of sailing in all new to us waters over the same time.
I think you must have misread my post again. That was 60 plus sailing maneuvers in a few hours

And yes complex situations usually occurred at the downwind buoy if racing with a spinnaker and sailing singlehanded. (you are coming in at 15-20 knots sometimes with boats very close to you)

Starts could get very complex as well whether sailing single handed or two up especially with new crew.

When my son was my crew, we usually had a much better start since we were used to each other and the boat at the time

Experiences on the water were mainly from 6 years old and up around here, North Carolina, Florida, Tennessee, and Mississippi on Lakes, Rivers, Bays, and Oceans. Plus swimming in the Pacific off San Diego.

Along the Gulf Coast, the racing season was usually topped off in September with the yearly 100 mile Beach Cat Race out of Ft Walton Beach, FL.

A couple weeks before that it was Juana's for both buoy and distance racing and bar time before and after

Memorial Day and July 4th were the maybe 30 mile races to Ship and Horn Islands off the Mississippi Gulf Coast

From February through November there was almost constant buoy racing so you spend lots of "quality" time actually sailing your boat hard with constant adjustments both before and during the races

Lot of fun and lots of sailing practice.......

These days it's all about crusing and daysailing plus learning my new sextant and I actually invested in new electronics recently.

A Standard Horizon GX2200 VHF/GPS/AIS. Yippy!

One of these days I might even get a new gen anchor to replace my CQR with but so far .......these last 8 years anyway, the CQR has performed great!
Old 23-12-2019, 12:09   #206

Just a thought from a former power boater. If you go ahead with the cruising plan, and for some reason it doesn't pan out, you will incur some considerable expense in getting out of the boat if you decide to sell. At least with your income, the expense won't hurt as much as it would for someone in a lower tax bracket.

I had the dream too, but it didn't pan out, for a host of reasons. Do I have regrets? Only on days that end in a 'y".

Nomad
Nomad57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2019, 12:18   #207

Boat: Olson 40

The year I turned 55, I retired from an extremely high stress job that was causing health problems that were becoming painfully severe.

My wife and I cruised and travelled for about a year and a half, then came back home for all the right reasons (kids, friends, we love California, and to find the right boat).

I accidentally ran into a friend, and a discussion became a consulting gig, which became a job, which became an investment in the (aerospace startup) company. Took over a charity which has become my primary philanthropic activity. Sold the company to Boeing. Bought and refit a boat the way I wanted. Another unexpected phone call, another job offer I could not refuse, and that is tremendous fun that would never be available if I remained retired.

I mean: Today I am working on a helicopter for Titan, a lander and a submarine for Europa, a mission to Phobos, and six missions to the moon. Can't do this from the middle of nowhere.

So over the past 8 years, we have spent 3 fully traveling, and 5 working, but at a healthy stress level, and having a ton of fun. And money is not evil.

We have the boat, its really fun. We spend a lot of time aboard and having a great time with many yachting and non-yachting friends. It is the best thing I have ever owned.

I've taken many one year sabbaticals over my life, each of which was supposed to be forever, but that instead led to amazing opportunities, from robotics to founding and selling a supermarket chain to exploring planets.

Life isn't only about "wasting away again in Margueritaville." While that is fun, there are many things to do with one's life that are fun and rewarding. I don't want to make a single choice, there are too many things to do in this life.

But for sure, having a boat I can take anywhere I want, any time I want, is a wonderful and rare form of freedom.
u4ea32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2019, 12:29   #208

A helicopter for Titan, a sub for...

Well can't think of better reasons to not go cruising. Good on you and great post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by u4ea32 View Post
The year I turned 55, I retired from an extremely high stress job that was causing health problems that were becoming painfully severe.

My wife and I cruised and travelled for about a year and a half, then came back home for all the right reasons (kids, friends, we love California, and to find the right boat).

I accidentally ran into a friend, and a discussion became a consulting gig, which became a job, which became an investment in the (aerospace startup) company. Took over a charity which has become my primary philanthropic activity. Sold the company to Boeing. Bought and refit a boat the way I wanted. Another unexpected phone call, another job offer I could not refuse, and that is tremendous fun that would never be available if I remained retired.

I mean: Today I am working on a helicopter for Titan, a lander and a submarine for Europa, a mission to Phobos, and six missions to the moon. Can't do this from the middle of nowhere.

So over the past 8 years, we have spent 3 fully traveling, and 5 working, but at a healthy stress level, and having a ton of fun. And money is not evil.

We have the boat, its really fun. We spend a lot of time aboard and having a great time with many yachting and non-yachting friends. It is the best thing I have ever owned.

I've taken many one year sabbaticals over my life, each of which was supposed to be forever, but that instead led to amazing opportunities, from robotics to founding and selling a supermarket chain to exploring planets.

Life isn't only about "wasting away again in Margueritaville." While that is fun, there are many things to do with one's life that are fun and rewarding. I don't want to make a single choice, there are too many things to do in this life.

But for sure, having a boat I can take anywhere I want, any time I want, is a wonderful and rare form of freedom.
B23iL23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2019, 15:58   #209

Quote:
Originally Posted by B23iL23 View Post
A helicopter for Titan, a sub for...

Well can't think of better reasons to not go cruising. Good on you and great post.
I agree, great post!

But I'm thinking it's not about not going cruising, it's about going cruising for a while if you can afford to and then restarting!

Or continuing.

These folks have earned enough to retire but continue to do what they do.

Think about why?

What Shirley Manson is doing on stage at 53 years old in the second video is similar to running a 1/2 marathon.

First video mid 90's . Second 2019.

Old 25-12-2019, 14:23   #210

Boat: PT-11

Oh man, you described me to a T. Retired at 47 with enough assets to not worry. 5 years cruising was lifetime highlight, no regrets whatsoever. Now that we've transitioned to land, struggling a bit to find something as fulfilling. Now speccing out a 4x4 land yacht for overland exploring. Advice to anyone considering retiring - have a plan!
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser