Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Boat Ownership & Making a Living
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.33 average. Display Modes
Old 02-11-2020, 10:13   #301

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Only the living have regrets

Quote:
Originally Posted by surf_km55 View Post
You mentioned retiring @ 69.

Three of my friends died last year, the oldest was 58. None were accidents, all were health issues completely out of the blue. One had vices, the other two were health nuts; and of the two, one was an absolutely ripped sporto/jock.

Good luck.
Thanks.

One of my guys died last December at age 59 with something that seemed very close to Covid 19.

As far as my retirement, I considered the 12 years I spent in Pensacola, FL my first retirement. I was newly single at age 39 after 20 years married and I liked to race beach cats. The Pensacola area was one of the best places back then to race them, and I had two when I moved there and bought two more (new ones) over the next 5 years.

It was great both on and off the water.........

I'm mid 60's now.

Btw, my sister retired at 45 or so. She's two years older than I am.

She and her husband went directly to the Bahamas on their power yacht.

She lasted a couple months. He lasted 20 years or so and bought a larger yacht. He kept it at Man O' War Cay, Bahamas and near Cape Charles, VA in Summer.

I don't think early retirement was the best thing for her.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 10:40   #302

Re: Any early retirees turned cruisers with big careers have regrets?

Count me in for the “Just do it crowd..” I retired early aged 48. I’m 70 now. We were in similar financial situation 21 years back. Bought the boat. (Cash.) Travelled on and off for extended months. In 1994 we sold it all and moved onto the boat. Today we have 32,000 miles under the keel. We still have her though she is used infrequently. We are falling apart physically. But the years we cruised heavily were THE greatest times of our lives. The people, the experiences and the the physicality of sailing was great… and then we got into our 60s and time has taken its toll. The worse that happens? If you don’t like it move on to a different dream. The good news? You are at least dreaming. But it also sounds from your background you both also know how to act. In my mind the worst is being a front-porch dreamer. Dreamers are a dime a dozen. Ah! But the doers… they’re worth they’re weight in gold. You both know from business: Plan, implement, evaluate, adjust. Do it while you’re young and healthy and have the $$ means. Lucky you and me. Another expression from the 1990s: “Move quickly! Fail fast.” If it fails you’ll recover quickly.

Now as I sit a lot on the porch my wife and I have nothing but great memories of people and experiences and places. And a side benefit living on a boat, sailing oceans you’ll also learn what’s important in your life and it ain’t working 100 hrs a week, amassing “things” like you and I both have done. Also. The world changes so much. Sailing now, as i’m sure many cruisers here will agree, is not the same as it was just 15-20 years ago. With that in mind, its gonna be a lot different 10 years from now. I’ve always said. “ It’s not a matter of grabbing the brass ring… You gotta be able to see it to grab it.” Most don’t. Again, just do it! You can't lose. Keep us posted on your exciting adventures!
roqdocs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 10:47   #303

Boat: Bali 4.0
Re: Only the living have regrets

Quote:
Originally Posted by surf_km55 View Post

Three of my friends died last year, the oldest was 58. None were accidents, all were health issues completely out of the blue. One had vices, the other two were health nuts; and of the two, one was an absolutely ripped sporto/jock.

Good luck.
Pretty much why we ran away... the very real awareness of our own mortality and how short this life can be.

I had a routine checkup where the doc handed me 5different prescriptions and told me I was well on my way to dying of a heart attack despite being in my early 30s.
I instantly decided that my wife's crazy "plan" to quit our jobs and run away and chase happiness suddenly sounded a lot less crazy, and instead of filling the prescription went home and agreed/committed to it.

We initially planned on just running away for a year or two, but then realized we were "broken" and would do anything possible to avoid returning to the life and jobs that were slowly killing us.

That was 8years ago, and while we are still very much figuring out all the various details about finances etc, I can tell you that we've never been happier in our lives, have never once felt anything even remotely close to boredom and are 100% thrilled that we decided to put our happiness above all else and go live this lifestyle while still young enough to enjoy it (together) rather than waiting on a "someday" that might never come.
theDangerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 11:41   #304

One last thought here: your marriage. (Sorry, this thread makes me philosophical.) Please make sure this is a dream for both of you. Trust me you’ll be selling the boat somewhere down the line if it’s just your dream and not her’s as well. It’s not easy being so close on a boat. Even in good seas and weather.

My favorite “pictures” in my mind is of my wife. She is on the bow in Calabash river at the NC/SC state line. It’s 3:00 in the morning. I am awakened by something “not being right.” Well, we were hard aground ashore, laid hard over on the muddy bank. A front had come through and our anchor slipped in the mucky bottom. She’s on the bow, rain howling around her. She in her red rain gear. Hood down. (She hates anything on her head.) She’s sopping wet and hanging tight onto the rails as she worked the windlass buttons as I powered back and forth to work us off the bank. We’re screaming at each other because of the howling wind but a bit out of frustration, also. One hour of this and we are back in the channel and anchor is set. She did this. She did this. On land people think she’s this quiet demure thing. No, I tell them. That’s one tough cookie. Our kids love that story ‘cause they know how strong she really is.

The other mind’s picture? Coming into Provinciales after 3 days at sea, she’s standing at the bow, her arm wrapped around the roller furling in her red jacket as I worked through coral heads. Her hair is blowing in the wind. She’s just absorbing the new sites, sounds and smells of a new country. She had the most contented look on her face. I could see a Mona Lisa smile on her tired face. Money can’t buy this picture. Only time together gets you those moments.

You’ll have bad moments and beautiful times. You’re in this together. Yet, you get to look at each other afterwards and say, “WE did this!”

My wife and I are so blessed to have done this. BTW, we still fuss at each other when anchoring. We’ve been married 42 years now and there is still no better cruising mate because “WE did that.”

( I promise no more stories. Giggle!)
Old 02-11-2020, 13:19   #305

Boat: Bristol 27

It seems some believe they can run away from the facts of life.

We are all going to die one day, and it doesn't matter whether or not you are stuck on a boat some place or hiking the Allegheny Trail.

Some of us have lived on the coast and have owned boats all of our lives. To retire early to be on a boat seems strange because we are on our boats most every day anyway.

The boat I have now is my 12th.

First one I bought around 1972 when I was 16 or so. I bought it on seaside (ocean side) but took it over to the bayside to launch it.

How long I'll actually want to live on a boat will be the question. I'll definitely sail it back down to the Gulf, but I do not look forward to motoring or sailing the ICW unless it's maybe in the offseason.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 16:08   #306

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post

We are all going to die one day, and it doesn't matter whether or not you are stuck on a boat some place or hiking the Allegheny Trail.

Some of us have lived on the coast and have owned boats all of our lives. To retire early to be on a boat seems strange because we are on our boats most every day anyway.

The boat I have now is my 12th.

First one I bought around 1972 when I was 16 or so. I bought it on seaside (ocean side) but took it over to the bayside to launch it.

How long I'll actually want to live on a boat will be the question. I'll definitely sail it back down to the Gulf, but I do not look forward to motoring or sailing the ICW unless it's maybe in the offseason.
Ok, it makes more sense now. No right or wrong , but you are just coming at this from a different mindset than many of us.
It isn't owning a boat, or doing weekend trips that drives our desire to live aboard.
It's more of an internal need to travel and to arrive in foreign ports under our own power. To be self sufficient, or even just to be in a constant state of change.
You are doing what you love and what is right for you. But it isn't what many of us on the forum want. Work and career was a way to finance what we really desired. And those of us that reached the goal and retired early to go cruising are doing what we love and what's right for us.
There's a good chance you won't ever really understand our viewpoint and that's ok. Not many do.
And yes we are all going to die someday. But it does matter what you do before then. Many follow the herd doing what is expected. Many of us don't want to live that life. We have our own path to follow.
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 17:40   #307

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post

I fear once again you've missed the point entirely.
This thread isn't talking about living on a boat or sailing... it's about CRUISING!

Those of us who have "run away" (and I presume also those writing into this forum who are actively looking to) are well aware that we can't avoid death...
What matters is HOW we spend the days before then.

We are choosing to spend our days cruising because it's currently our perfect life. We actively choose each and every day to wake up and live life to the fullest and put happiness above all else... and for right now at least, that means cruising.

Not "stuck on a boat" in some marina close to home; but traveling and exploring full time.
Having the freedom to wake up each and every day and decide where we want to go next, to experience different islands, places, people and cultures; to push ourselves to learn and experience new and exciting things; and for us... to spend most of every day under the water exploring the magical world beneath our boat as well as the one above.

This lifestyle may not be for everyone (it's clearly not for you), but we all choose to come here and participate in a "cruisers" forum to discuss that exact lifestyle.

If cruising to you truly seems like nothing more than being "stuck on a boat" then maybe just keep living on shore, buying more boats, sailing during the day and returning to your comfortable and quiet house/apartment at night.
Or maybe go buy an RV or campervan or hike the Allegheny and find whatever it is that will actually light you up (we actually loved that lifestyle as well, and whatever makes you happy is perfect, for YOU)!!

Please just understand that those of us out here, and most of those posting here looking for advice "from the other side" don't need your jaded negative viewpoint on how living on a boat means "being stuck", and all the reasons why they can't or shouldn't do it (especially when you have no actual experience of having lived the lifestyle).

You do have ample sailing experience and I respect that to no end (especially as I now try to teach myself to move about the world by wind alone)...
So why not wait on those threads where people are seeking advice about sailing and use that as a chance to give something positive back rather than trolling here simply to add negatively and trying to convince someone else not to follow/chase their dreams... simply because it happens to be different than yours??
Old 02-11-2020, 17:44   #308

And none of us would have read Slocum's book if it started: " I loosed the lines and set sail. Eight hours later I came back safely to the dock." It's about being a cruising sailor to far away places and experiences that don't happen around home that makes the juices flow for a few of us. It's not for all... but me thinks that's the point of the OP here. He and his partner are looking for the big thrill, looking for adventure, looking for that experience that defines them and will shape them.

To be diplomatic: one is not better than the other. Yet, for a few of us it does define and has enriched our lives. My wife and I do not chat about our day sails around home. (Though it's always good to be on the boat.) Just sayin'. Viva la difference between all of us.
Old 02-11-2020, 18:14   #309

And well said and written, as well, Chris Mac and Dangerz. Safe voyage to all! Get 'er done!
Old 02-11-2020, 18:42   #310

And, Dangerz, went to your website: clever work!
Old 02-11-2020, 18:55   #311

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34

And, Dangerz, enjoyed your web site as well. I wish I were as talented. We may have seen you in the Exumas.
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 18:59   #312

Quote:
Originally Posted by roqdocs View Post
And, Dangerz, went to your website: clever work!
You're all too kind!

Ironically... we've been trying hard NOT to work, but somehow after we design/build something for our own use and lifestyle it seems to turn into a bit of work on the side.
Keep trying to fix/correct that "habit"... but also cant help myself as I enjoy the creative outlet (and also the conversations it brings about with others seeing similar life change)
Old 02-11-2020, 19:05   #313

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmurdoch View Post
And, Dangerz, enjoyed your web site as well. I wish I were as talented. We may have seen you in the Exumas.
Trying/hoping to get back up that way again this season (since we now don't appear to be able to make our way to the pacific as we had planned)...

We've have loved exploring the windwards... but I have to admit - if it wasn't for hurricane season I'm not sure we ever would have left the exumas!!
Old 02-11-2020, 19:08   #314

Yikes! I was just lurking about CF. and lo and behold in 2016 "Thomm225 wrote:

"Or you can use the adapter and an extension cord.

Some of us enjoy going of the grid and being totally self sustaining on our boats

Microwaves, dehumidifiers, marina-hopping? You may as well just stay at home.

Where's the adventure in that?"

Now my words: You are just a contrarian, Mr. Thomm. Just seeding(trolling) trouble here and there. Sorry. Peace and love to you, amigo. Learn to have some blessings in life. Sorry, but a number of us got caught up in his POV towards life.
Old 02-11-2020, 19:17   #315

And OP, ol1970: Trust your heart. Ignore the negativity. ( To bring this back on topic) Sometimes on here, i think I'm at the old Trout River Marina in Jacksonville. Those in that area know what i'm talking about. Ha!

Tags
cruise, cruiser