Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Boat Ownership & Making a Living
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.33 average. Display Modes
Old 07-01-2022, 14:30   #751

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Any early retirees turned cruisers with big careers have regrets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
It a concern especially for the long run South from up this way. I worked along the ICW in North Carolina also near Bogue Sound.

Same deal but sailing the whole way on the outside single handed would be tough for one over 65 especially with a Southerly wind.

I'm thinking one leg at a time and my first would be Norfolk to Cape Lookout on the inside then hangout for a week or so on the way and around Morehead City then head back up on the outside as a shakedown.

Then go from there....which would either be Bermuda or go further South but since I have already lived there it's a toss up.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 14:36   #752

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
As you can see by my post above that I was already South, and the boats I saw cruising the ICW either when I was doing my afternoon run/cycling or when sailing were headed East or West and many times they appeared quite bored with it especially some of those on big cats as they'd be sitting there just waiting with all sorts of stuff piled on deck like bikes, kayaks, small dinghies, etc, etc.

Even on our 100 mile race around Okaloosa, Santa Rosa, and the Gulf Shores Island I rarely saw cruisers out in the Gulf most were in the ICW which is quite narrow in that stretch and there are 3 bridges to go under.

Those bridges can be quite tough to sail under also if the wind is against you and it's strong, but that's the beach cat life.

Cruisers usually motor under them when the wind is against them.

….and your point is?

I’m not sure how you can tell if a stranger is bored from your bicycle or from your beach cat but even if they are bored while motoring along the ICW, that’s not where the vast, vast majority of cruisers spend the majority of their time. I used to fly F-16’s and there were moments when I was bored doing that, but many more moments that were anything but boring, and I find sailing to be similar in that way and I think you can say the same about almost every other activity that’s done over a long period of time. So I don’t know why you think it’s significant that you’ve seen some cruisers who looked bored?

Again, if you think cruisers lead a boring lifestyle, why are you so frequently posting on a cruisers forum? Im not telling you not to and I suppose you have every right to just as I could go on a Sportfishermans forum and tell them what a waste of money it is and how boring it must be motoring around trying to catch fish that I don’t think taste good that will only make their boat stinky and dirty based on my vast motorboating experience and that time I caught a fish from my pontoon boat on a lake, but I save the Sportfishjng crowd that aggravation since I prefer to discuss cruising sailboat issues with other cruisers because I enjoy the lifestyle very much when I spend time on my boat and like to get their perspectives and gain help with issues I’m confronted with on my boat that others have already encountered and solved. There’s a lot of folks who post here who have TONS of experience and can teach you a lot about long distance cruising if you’re interested, but I hope you can understand why they’re probably not quite as inclined to enter into congenial discussions with you when you start out by telling them their lifestyle that they’ve been living and you’ve been observing from afar, is boring.
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 15:01   #753

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsailjt View Post
….and your point is?

I’m not sure how you can tell if a stranger is bored from your bicycle or from your beach cat but even if they are bored while motoring along the ICW, that’s not where the vast, vast majority of cruisers spend the majority of their time. I used to fly F-16’s and there were moments when I was bored doing that, but many more moments that were anything but boring, and I find sailing to be similar in that way and I think you can say the same about almost every other activity that’s done over a long period of time. So I don’t know why you think it’s significant that you’ve seen some cruisers who looked bored?

Again, if you think cruisers lead a boring lifestyle, why are you so frequently posting on a cruisers forum? Im not telling you not to and I suppose you have every right to just as I could go on a Sportfishermans forum and tell them what a waste of money it is and how boring it must be motoring around trying to catch fish that I don’t think taste good that will only make their boat stinky and dirty based on my vast motorboating experience and that time I caught a fish from my pontoon boat on a lake, but I save the Sportfishjng crowd that aggravation since I prefer to discuss cruising sailboat issues with other cruisers because I enjoy the lifestyle very much when I spend time on my boat and like to get their perspectives and gain help with issues I’m confronted with on my boat that others have already encountered and solved. There’s a lot of folks who post here who have TONS of experience and can teach you a lot about long distance cruising if you’re interested, but I hope you can understand why they’re probably not quite as inclined to enter into congenial discussions with you when you start out by telling them their lifestyle that they’ve been living and you’ve been observing from afar, is boring.
I have loved boating since age 4-5 or so. The attached book excited me even though I couldn't yet read it.

I was able though to start going fishing by age 6 even though my Dad wasn't into it, but when you grow up 5 miles from the Chesapeake Bay and 4 miles from the Atlantic Ocean you can usually get out on a boat.

And it has gone from there first with 5-6 small power boats, then 4 beach cats, and now this old Bristol 27.

I'm still learning about this cruising thing.

Still working now though but having flight simulators available to do flyovers of my planned cruises is nice. Plus I get to see the latest in computers and video equipment (Graphic Processors).

I'm about to build a gaming computer now for a Winter project. Starting with this ASUS B560M Motherboard which may go on the boat later for dockside use. It can handle up to 128 GB Ram.

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards...60M-PLUS-WIFI/

And btw since you were a pilot this is where I used to be stationed along the ICW in North Carolina as a Radar/IFF tech PAR and ASR ATC radar. Bogue field with it's 3900' matting runway.

Also that Harrier seems to have a sailboat wind indictor on it's nose. I wonder if it's just a pilot visual aid or is it hooked to the planes computer systems

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Donald_Duck's_Toy_Sailboat.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	250885   Click image for larger version

Name:	bf.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	168.1 KB
ID:	250886  

Old 07-01-2022, 16:29   #754
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsailjt View Post
….and your point is?

Again, if you think cruisers lead a boring lifestyle, why are you so frequently posting on a cruisers forum? .
Maybe/probably because he is afraid to take the leap and envious of those that have. Therefore what they do is wrong and he knows best even though he has never, and most likely will never, do it. So that only leaves excuses and trashing of others doing it.
Old 07-01-2022, 16:44   #755
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
I have loved boating since age 4-5 or so. The attached book excited me even though I couldn't yet read it.

I was able though to start going fishing by age 6 even though my Dad wasn't into it, but when you grow up 5 miles from the Chesapeake Bay and 4 miles from the Atlantic Ocean you can usually get out on a boat.

And it has gone from there first with 5-6 small power boats, then 4 beach cats, and now this old Bristol 27.

I'm still learning about this cruising thing.

Still working now though but having flight simulators available to do flyovers of my planned cruises is nice. Plus I get to see the latest in computers and video equipment (Graphic Processors).

I'm about to build a gaming computer now for a Winter project. Starting with this ASUS B560M Motherboard which may go on the boat later for dockside use. It can handle up to 128 GB Ram.

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards...60M-PLUS-WIFI/

And btw since you were a pilot this is where I used to be stationed along the ICW in North Carolina as a Radar/IFF tech PAR and ASR ATC radar. Bogue field with it's 3900' matting runway.

Also that Harrier seems to have a sailboat wind indictor on it's nose. I wonder if it's just a pilot visual aid or is it hooked to the planes computer systems

Perhaps you'd prefer a gaming forum. I've never palyed a single computer game and neither have any cruisers I know. We'd find that boring.
Old 07-01-2022, 17:05   #756

Quote:
Perhaps you'd prefer a gaming forum. I've never palyed a single computer game and neither have any cruisers I know. We'd find that boring.
I never have either.

I majored in History ......check my boat type!

I was forced to become qualified as a computer tech recently after 25 years as a tech manager (plus 20 years as an electronics/computer tech before that) so I thought building a computer would strengthen my knowledge base.

The certification required you to pass two 90 minute exams by reading/learning a 900 page book plus learning through online sites and know the material not just memorize so you could then answer troubleshooting questions on computers, peripherals, networks, smart phones, and routers. That plus know speed of say DDR4 memory, and tons of off the wall Computer questions. Plug types, USB types. Network Port protocols, etc

I can tell you it's hard but not boring.

Here are some practice tests for Comptia A+ 220-1001 and 220-1002 which I'll have to requalify again on soon. The cert only lasts three years so if you think it's boring that's nice but can you do it is the question.

I may go for Network + next in case I just want to cruise down to NC in summer then work in Winter. The Network + Practice Questions are in the link also.

https://exampremium.com/

Also since the video cards for a gaming computer are so outrageously expensive I'll get a motherboard with onboard video capabilities since my main computer game is Chess which I play world wide on Chess.com.

https://www.chess.com/
Old 07-01-2022, 17:08   #757
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
I never have either.

I was forced to become qualified as a computer tech recently after 25 years as a tech manager so I thought building a computer would strengthen my knowledge base.

The certification required you to pass two 90 minute exams by reading/learning a 900 page book plus learning through online sites and know the material not just memorize so you could then answer troubleshooting questions on computers, peripherals, networks, smart phones, and routers.

I can tell you it's hard but not boring.

Here are some practice tests for Comptia A+ 220-1001 and 220-1002 which I'll have to requalify again on soon. The cert only last three years so if you think it's boring that's nice but can you do it is the question.

https://exampremium.com/

Also since the video cards for a gaming computer are so outrageously expensive I'll get a motherboard with onboard video capabilities since my main computer game is Chess which I play world wide on Chess.com.

https://www.chess.com/
Thanks but not interested in computer stories.
Old 07-01-2022, 17:19   #758

Quote:
Thanks but not interested in computer stories.
Not stories, training/qualification..

You have to have a certain set of skills to do it plus have the electronics tech knowledge available for the power systems etc

Then also have the cyber security workforce available to insure everything is protected.

Speaking of sailboats though I drained my 20 gallon water tank today and emptied all water containers as we are going to be having temps in the mid 20's at night for a few days.

Ran the outboard yesterday.

I did leave two gallon jugs of water onboard though to see how they do.

I'll start the outboard again in a week or so.
Old 08-01-2022, 16:44   #759

So these days does age 69 or 70 qualify as early retirement? That's when I was thinking I'd retire.

I know of three guys at work that are planning to retire "early" at age 75 since some of their friends worked until 80.
Old 08-01-2022, 20:38   #760

Quote:
So these days does age 69 or 70 qualify as early retirement? That's when I was thinking I'd retire.

I know of three guys at work that are planning to retire "early" at age 75 since some of their friends worked until 80.
If you are enjoying what you are doing, go ahead and work till 75...or 90 for that matter but no it doesn't qualify as early retirement.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 03:49   #761
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Any early retirees turned cruisers with big careers have regrets?

Quote:

Early retirement is typically 60 or earlier. Why in the name of God you’d want to be on paid employment at 80 ( unless you desperately need money ) is beyond me. It’s extremely rare around here.
The vast majority go at 65 which is the state pension entitlement period. Many go earlier if they have full pension entitlements. Few professions go to full years , the police go at 55 ( full occupational pension) and teachers tend to retire at 60.( similarly full occupational pension )
Old 09-01-2022, 12:14   #762

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:

You're taking the piss aren't you?
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 12:39   #763

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Maybe/probably because he is afraid to take the leap and envious of those that have. Therefore what they do is wrong and he knows best even though he has never, and most likely will never, do it. So that only leaves excuses and trashing of others doing it.
No, not that I have 3 more payments on the house in the country.

I make one payment per year at least but could do more.

Then I have 3 years remaining at work which I told them I would do at a minimum, and I'm in an excellent cruising area already so there's no rush.

I see the retirees/liveaboards at the marina also ....... and it doesn't look like anything I'd want right now.

(and) Since I have already spent about 14 years in Florida, I don't need to rush to head that way but will one day.
Old 09-01-2022, 12:42   #764
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
No, not that I have 3 more payments on the house in the country.

I make one payment per year at least but could do more.

Then I have 3 years remaining at work which I told them I would do at a minimum, and I'm in an excellent cruising area already so there's no rush.

I see the retirees/liveaboards at the marina also ....... and it doesn't look like anything I'd want right now.

(and) Since I have already spent about 14 years in Florida, I don't need to rush to head that way but will one day.
Theres a big world out there beyond Florida
Old 09-01-2022, 12:43   #765
Marine Service Provider

Sigh ......

Tags
cruise, cruiser