Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Boat Ownership & Making a Living
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2019, 21:03   #91

Boat: S&S 39' cold molded one ton, Brin Wilson (NZ) built 1970. Finn Dinghy, rowing shells.
Re: Are wooden hull boats a viable option or should I steer clear?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davo1404 View Post
Your S&S sounds like a real nice yacht. Could you post a photo?
This is from before I bought her.
Oceanconcepts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 21:09   #92

Boat: S&S 39' cold molded one ton, Brin Wilson (NZ) built 1970. Finn Dinghy, rowing shells.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davo1404 View Post
I am confused? The S&S in the photos that were posted were of the 1 tonner "Kishmul".which has been beautifully restored to probably better than new. Now we are talking about the yacht "Pathfinder"? Which is another 1 tonner that was part of New Zealand's winning team in the 1971 Southern Cross Cup.
Different boats, different posts, different people. I own Pathfinder, which was part of the winning NZ team and also overall winner of the Sydney-Hobart. Restoration is in process. Cold molded kauri, resorcinol glued, and coming up on 50 years of age. She was launched about the time I, as a college student, started sailing keelboats.
Old 03-08-2019, 21:24   #93

Boat: Lidgard yacht 32ft

Thanks for clearing that up. Same construction as mine. Yes Pathfinder was part of New Zealand's winning team, along with Runaway & Waianawa. This was New Zealand's first big win in a major sailing event. I think Pathfinder might have been sold in England at some point. You definitely have bought a beautiful yacht, they are a collectors item. New Zealand recently ran a 1 ton cup revisited series & was overwhelmed with the amount of entries. Chris Bouzaid who skippered Rainbow to a 1 ton cup victory, recently found her in Burmuda, I think. He bought her & shipped her back to NZ, where she was restored. The original builder was still alive & over saw the restoration.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanconcepts View Post
Different boats, different posts, different people. I own Pathfinder, which was part of the winning NZ team and also overall winner of the Sydney-Hobart. Restoration is in process. Cold molded kauri, resorcinol glued, and coming up on 50 years of age. She was launched about the time I, as a college student, started sailing keelboats.
Davo1404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 21:57   #94

Pathfinder was sailed from NZ to the West Coast of the US- Puget Sound- in the 80's and has been on the West Coast ever since. I have been contacted by a couple of prior owners, and purchased her from John Guzzwell, who owned her twice. I'm fortunate in that most of the prior owners have taken good care. Lots of work to be done, but none of it is due to having a wood hull.
Old 03-08-2019, 22:00   #95

Boat: Lidgard yacht 32ft

Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanconcepts View Post
Pathfinder was sailed from NZ to the West Coast of the US- Puget Sound- in the 80's and has been on the West Coast ever since. I have been contacted by a couple of prior owners, and purchased her from John Guzzwell, who owned her twice. I'm fortunate in that most of the prior owners have taken good care. Lots of work to be done, but none of it is due to having a wood hull.
Davo1404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 22:52   #96

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

There’s a very similar looking yacht in Te Ana marina in Christchurch, name of Glayva, looks like it was quite the serious yacht 50 years ago but sadly needs plenty of work doing. The overall shape reminds me of that boat. Don’t know if it’s anything to do with those, of course.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, hull